Never Mind The Bollocks - 40th Anniversary Deluxe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot, Jul 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

No, I mean specifically the NMTB outtakes. See that CD2 has NMTB outtakes. Why not all of them? Why just these? There would be space if for example they put the singles and B-sides in CD1.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Tim Bucknall likes this.
  2. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Why would someone boast about never having listened to London Calling? It isn't an accomplishment.

3. punkmusick

I guess you're right, maybe I shouldn't say I'm not satisfied with this release, that makes no sense. I agree. To release the 35th anniversary expensive pack again with 5 more songs would have pissed a lot of people off.

But the fact is that they missed the 40th anniversary chance to release something new like, for example, all NMTB outtakes mastered together in a single CD (or in an album or maybe a double album or whatever). I'm not happy that they missed the chance and that I don't have a chance to get something new. But people who missed the 35th and don't care about the A&M single may be happy with this new chance to buy it.

I'll wait for the 45th.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  4. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Is it not strange though to expect a different 'anniversary' edition every 5 years or whatever? That seems a bit crazy to me. I can understand (maybe) every 10 years, but it's overkill to expect them to celebrate an anniversary every 5 years don't you think? I mean very few albums get that treatment.

Cooks420 likes this.
  5. punkmusick

Yes. Remember we had a 21st (!) anniversary edition, than a 30th, then a 35th and now a 40th. But if I had to chose one record to be celebrated every five years it would be this one for many reasons.

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I hear you. But still, the music on a 1976 box would be nowhere near the excellence of the 1977 box, and I can't see sales <which I understand weren't that great anyway on the 35th box> being anything to write home about.

The stuff's out there anyway for any and all who want it. I can't see this happening after all these years and in today's pitiful physical media market. These things would have done much better 20 or even 10 years ago, imho.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  7. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Well, the second Goodman demo (if I remember correctly) is out in bad quality only (drenched in additional reverb). All other stuff is available, that's right....

punkmusick and rnranimal like this.
  8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, aside from 2 tracks, the undubbed session is only available in pretty poor quality.

Tim Bucknall and punkmusick like this.
  9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Obligatory reference:

[​IMG]

Cooks420, punkmusick and johnnybrum like this.
  10. sathvyre

That's true...and I hope we will get the entire session in best possible quality sometimes...

punkmusick and rnranimal like this.
  11. punkmusick

Funny thing: I have an old Flogging A Dead Horse LP made in Argentina. Back in the day they used to translated the record and songs titles to Spanish in the front and back cover. They made a literal translation of this and it became "Castigando Un Caballo Muerto" which means nothing. It is this release:

Sex Pistols - Castigando Un Caballo Muerto

However I should say that I love the 35th Super Deluxe big box. So cool.

Jim B. likes this.
  12. punkmusick

@rnranimal

Are you talking about Anarchy and No Fun?

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'd buy a reissue of Castigando Un Caballo Muerto :)

punkmusick likes this.
  14. sathvyre

There are two more songs available without the horrible reverb. "Substitute" and "No Lip", both included on "Agents Of Anarchy" compilation...but compressed to death and with a lot of hiss....

15. punkmusick

Ah yes, I know that record, thank you. There's a vinyl version as well with fewer songs including those two but I never listened to it, probably sound the same.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  16. sathvyre

Yes, it sounds the same. I had it - and sold it.

Tim Bucknall and punkmusick like this.
  17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

punkmusick likes this.
  18. punkmusick

January 17th, 1977, the Sex Pistols entered Goosebury Sound Studios in Gerrard Street, London, to record demos with Dave Goodman for the third time. These demos were initially released in Side B of Spunk bootleg and then in many other unofficial releases until they were finally remastered and officially issued in the Never Mind The Bollocks 35th anniversary box set. Later these versions except EMI were released in 7" in the Alternative Takes box set and recently in this 40th anniversary box.

41 years ago.

19. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Safe to assume this isn't getting a US release?

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

21. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Am I right in saying the 48 page book is not a trimmed down version of the Diaries?

If it is entirely different, then I will grab the 40th along with the 2017 Diaries as I have no use for a poster and stickers.

22. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Still sticking with my original CD release:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.