New album, "Mono", from The Mavericks in 2015!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

They have been carrying a DigiDesign Venue board and a full ProTools rig on recent tours.

melstapler likes this.
  2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Does anyone know how Mono sold? I just love the album, though I hate the sonics with a passion as it could have sounded incredible like their past albums. Just hoping it sold decent so that they will feel compelled to record another one.

3. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

They are definitely putting out a new record, live. It was recorded in Texas and will be out next year.

Not sure if they'll still be on the Big Machine label, Mono underperformed IMO.

4. Chris DeVoe

I can't say I'll be heartbroken if they're dropped by Big Machine. They provided a lot of support, but the label people were a bit difficult to work with at the shows.

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Based on what I have heard of them live, this would be the rare live album I would buy. Would be nice to have all their best songs in one place. Just don't mix it in mono!

6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sound quality aside, it is my favorite album by them and I doubt the audio had anything to do with it not selling well. I don't know what they can do to boost sales...their song writing and playing is excellent imo. I hope they don't just pack it in! Maybe another label would market them better. I would hate to see them change their style, but if they aren't selling maybe they will have to.

7. Chris DeVoe

I think the problem is that their fan base is older and not growing. As always, they've been in a difficult spot, and they don't fit on any of the current radio formats mostly because there is not a one-word description for the Mavericks. "Alt Country" doesn't really cut it.

I think they can keep touring and making a living based on their excellent live shows. I think the Big Machine deal was one last attempt at mainstream success, and they'll probably go to self-releasing just to have something to sell at shows and direct to fans, who are a very dedicated bunch.

melstapler likes this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Makes perfect sense. Though I hate buying CDs, I got two today from Amazon that are not on vinyl. They are both okay but I like their newer stuff better. I got a used copy on vinyl of an album from 1995....that one is just wonderful! It has that retro looking white cover. Their sound was different on that album and I love it. That may be one of the problems though...the newer CD I got is a bit more hard core country. And their newer stuff...like you said, how do you put a genre on that sound?

9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

It's my sincere hope that Raul Malo will write more songs with Kostas for The Mavericks' next album. Kostas helped offer variety with songs such as 'Pizziricco,' 'There Goes My Heart' and 'Here Comes The Rain.' He also played a big role in their success for the album "Music For All Occasions" and of course "What A Crying Shame," which featured 6 songs credited to Kostas.

heatherly and Jrr like this.
  10. heatherly

11. Chris DeVoe

I didn't see anything about it on the forum on Raul's web site, which has become the Mavericks discussion forum by default. The last show I saw with Robert seemed to be a real special occasion as Kansas City was Robert's home town, and both his and Raul's parents were in the audience.

12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

That story is from 2014 -- do you know of some more current news regarding Robert?

13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for posting the update. Sad to hear about Robert, and I haven't followed his status since the article in RS online. Was this news on the bands website currently?

14. Chris DeVoe

Robert's Facebook page has been updated pretty consistently since early December with news of his painting, which he's selling via an Etsy shop.

By the way, the band is doing not one but two cruises - the Delbert McClinton & Friends Sandy Beaches Cruise on January 9th, and the Outlaw Country Cruise (which my brother is going on) starting February 7th. They will tour through March, and on April 15th and 16th, they'll have two dates at Knuckleheads Saloon in Kansas City, MO which is going to be amazing.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  15. heatherly

This is direct from Michael Reynolds, younger brother of Robert and the Mavericks current tour manager. He's a friend on Facebook and he put a status up last night :( just saw it today

16. heatherly

Yes I quoted my old post for context

17. melstapler

What a terrible way to start the new year. I had this conversation literally 2 days ago with a buddy of mine and we both wondered what had become of Robert Reynolds after leaving the group. Once his present health issues are handled, hopefully Robert can get on a path to sobriety and move forward in life.

heatherly likes this.
  18. heatherly

From Robert's Instagram:

Hello everyone! It's Michelle. This has been my view out the window of Robert's hospital room all week. But we should be moving out of ICU soon because they took him off the ventilator today! He's awake and breathing completely on his own! Thank you God! And thanks to you all for your well wishes and prayers. It will still be a long way back, he still has pneumonia, but I do believe the worst is over! He would want me to send you his love. Because that's just the way he is!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BAVowl7kjyo/

melstapler likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

All the best to him. Pneumonia is awful - I spent nine days in the hospital recovering from it, and even longer recovering from the hospital. They say each day in the hospital takes a week to recover from. And I hope that this is the thing that leads him to sobriety as well.

Jrr, melstapler and heatherly like this.
  20. melstapler

Glad to hear Robert's condition has improved. Chris is absolutely correct, let this major victory be the pathway to a healthy and sober future for a guy who's a talented musician and painter. Life has so much more to offer for Robert, assuming he's willing to make some changes and move forward.

Jrr, heatherly and Chris DeVoe like this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks again for updates on Instagram! Pneumonia, wow hang in there Robert and Michelle.

22. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Mono-mono deeep deeeee be deeebeeep
    Mono-mono deeep debeep deeeee..............

23. heatherly

melstapler likes this.
  24. heatherly

I post this in no way to be light or morbid but to be brutally honest. I spent 7 days on a ventilator and unaware of almost anything. That was thanks to the much talked about Michael Jackson juice, "milk of amnesia"! I wanted to tell you that when I woke I such feelings of love and resolve, I woke feeling a renewed sense of myself. I also woke having this feeling that all of you, those I'd come to know through music were such a source of light and love. I truly mean this but it's as though your prayers could reach through the "twilight". This is a very true experience. I thank you for the love through the miles and the years. Hugs, R

melstapler likes this.
  25. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I don't think the fact it was mixed in mono is the problem, the fact that it's mixed so poorly "and i mean poorly" is. I've probably listened to the album a couple of times since it's release, and i've seriously thought about ditching my CD because it's just gonna sit on the shelf, it's that bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.