New Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rjp, Sep 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

i truly believed that ryan eggold was the godson or nephew of someone way high up in TV land, and he kept getting cast in roles made just for him, first on 'the blacklist' (which was super hot at the time) and then they actually gave him his own 'blacklist' spin-off.

both of the above roles he crashed impressively and got horrible reviews everywhere, including here.

then they give this 2 time failure his own show.

well, its not too bad, not too bad at all. a very interesting cast of characters and a couple of surprising storylines.

this one might just make it.

2. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I thought I was going insane, because I saw the previews for this show and I said, 'Isn't there already a show called New Amsterdam?'

And there was one! It was on FOX for a short time in 2008 before getting cancelled as FOX likes to do. I watched it back then. It starred Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister on Game of Thrones) and it was about an immortal police detective. I guess I'm the only person it made an impression on. :)

The new New Amsterdam looks like just another medical drama to me. I think I've grown tired of that format, much as I love House.

3. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

[QUOTE="The new New Amsterdam looks like just another medical drama to me. I think I've grown tired of that format, much as I love House.[/QUOTE]
    It seems medical dramas don't succeed unless they are super soapy and emphasize the always beautiful doctors and nurses torrid love affairs. Code Black started out pretty excellent and then got more soapy in order to try and gain viewers, and ended up satisfying no one. Far inferior prime time soaps like Chicago Hope, which is ridiculous, seem to go on forever. I know the networks just give people what they want, but personally I've pretty much written off this particular genre.

I think the Network's entire attitude toward programming is really showing it's whiskers this fall season. They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel, but that's another topic. :magoo:

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It's their own owners who have sent their once-essential broadcast network holdings, down that much deeper in the barrel, scrapers in hand. Now a network looking for show to fill-in the next medical show to follow their cop show, has to bid against new players such as streaming-content hubs, basic-cable channels, and premium cable channels...and, they're still getting their money to bid on them...from the same checkbook! :wtf:

Okay, in the scheme of things, Amazon and Netflix may be relatively "new money", but, howcum Fox, the owners of Fox, determine it better to place the show on FX than Fox...or FXX...rather than either of them? And, if they decide to try their own "CBS All-Access" service to add another income stream...how many X's is it gonna take to differentiate that service from the other ones? AND, how many Fox viewers is it really worth losing, to attract them to that new platform? Hell, Fox network could easily populate a whole other network based on shows they canceled in their first season as it is.

One could say (Hell, over on the Fox New Network, "people" are already saying it...;) ), if they can't develop a successful new prime-time show after being at it for 30 years, maybe they don't deserve to have a broadcast network. And you may find those holdings as being the least-critical holdings of their business plans, because: it depends on holding a network together with smaller companies they don't control being responsible for hundreds of local stations; local stations are subject to antiquated quality and content standards that a cable network doesn't worry about; and a huge majority of the public is already hooked-up and capable of receiving every major media service without an ugly antenna on the roof (just ugly-minded "commentators" posing as news anchors, shouting at presidents).

Want to know why quality of network shows on local tv appears to be slipping? Look at the other cards in their owners' hands...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  5. I think people disliked the character and the situation rather than the actor. I liked the first episode of this show but it does seem to be a little too good to be true. I'll watch another episode or two to see if reality shows up.

Alan G. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.