New Beach Boys 2012 Remasters.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheGenuinePig, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

Not the "main" vocal track, but the track with doubled vocals (I think that's right...) and the lead guitar solo was wiped to add crowd noise for the "Concert" LP.

2. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Is there anything exclusive to the 50 Big Ones 2 CD set?

3. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Almost, the first album release of the single version of "Isn't it Time"...

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

That explains something I have always wondered about---why there was no guitar solo in the "live" Concert LP version of I Get Around.

I have to say, that was a very lame decision on Brian Wilson's part---the multi-tracks of one of his greatest singles ever gets ruined AND the end product for the live album has no lead guitar. Dumb.

5. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Apparently,Capitol's packaging leaves,once again,a lot to be desired,the same theme as the Beatles' 2009 Remasters!:shake: A Sleeve,instead of a sturdy cover? What a shame..At least,to me,it is!:shake:

6. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

Is The Sounds Of Summer worth getting? The samples on Amazon sound pretty good.

Attached Files:

7. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

I had no idea that Randall from Clerks was such a huge Beach Boys fan.

8. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

The stereo mixes of Darlin' and Wild Honey, at least until the Wild Honey album is reissued.

9. felipe

felipe Forum Resident

came to mind the Bruce Swedien technic. He was so concerned about the masters that he would record the overdubs and vocals with only copies of the prior thing as the reference, worried about rewinding and playing damage.

10. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I haven't heard these new 2012 CDs, but I have probably eight different pressings of "Do You Wanna Dance", from vinyl to DCC, and it always sounds way murkier than any of the other Beach Boys recordings.

Do others here feel the same way?

What is the best-sounding source -- in your opinions -- for "Do You Wanna Dance"?

11. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I always thought it sounded like crap. When I was in High School I replaced my Help Me Ronda 45 with the Starline version because my original was beat up. The record came in one of those big cardboard things shrink wrapped. I was so disappointed when I got home and opened it up because Kiss Me Baby was replaced with Do You Wanna Dance. Murky is the word. Hell the John Lennon Rock N Roll version sounds murky too. Must be the song, it has a murky history.

12. emjayen

emjayen Forum Resident

Don McLean once wrote a song called "The More You Pay, The More It's Worth." Well, with the Beach Boys remastered CDs, DeepDiscount has just reduced the reissue CDs to $11.99 with FREE shipping. Originally, the pre-order price was $14.54, then it dropped to $13.99, then $12.99. DeepDiscount has a 7-day, lower-price guarantee, even after the item has been shipped -- but they will do this on a ONE-TIME only basis. Lucky for me, I will be getting the BB disc at $11.99. It's the lowest online price I've found and I'm happy. What's irking, though, is why online companies bait you with pre-order prices, then whittle down their price before and after a release date. Anybody else feel this is not consumer friendly?

13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Thanks for posting, MJN. That would justify canceling the Amazon orders now before they're shipped.

14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Often it pays to patient. Unless it's something that I'm just dying for, I try to wait it out. There was no way I was going to pay the price for the Japanese imports and I'm still waiting to see how things shake out on the domestic releases. I'll probably go for Smiley Smile soon, since that seems to be one of the consensus favorites from the new batch, and then see how I feel about going for more.

15. psychedelia

psychedelia The Psychedelic Axolotl

Really though, ImportCDs had them for $10.99 a piece (they're now 12-something), so it pays to pay attention. Anyone who's thinking of pre-ordering, should really wait till release date before ordering (if money matters, that is). I guarantee you'll see even lower prices then what's being offered right now.

16. mr_mjb1960

If Best Buy had the Beatles 2009 Remasters at $9.99 when they first came out,I suspect those BB reissues will follow the same price pattern,too,as these also have the same regular prices too.:righton:

17. psychedelia

Indeed!

18. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

The new CDs look really cheap compared to Beatles Remasters. They're thin, like there's no booklet, and the printing quality is awful, "All Summer Long" being the worst of the lot. The colors are washed out and the Capitol logo bears visible digital artefacts. Don't Capitol pay people to design covers that make people want to buy CDs? And quality control anyone? No wonder Mike Love fired everybody.

19. psychedelia

20. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

There's not a lot new here and Mike makes a decent case, but I'm of the opinion that if Brian and Al want to continue on, they should take precedence. If Mike had already booked some small shows, let it be up to Brian and Al whether they appear or not...

This really warrants it's own thread, which would likely go in a direction that would get it shut.

21. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I think I'm in for Today, Summer Days, and Smiley Smile. I also want Wild Honey when it comes out. Is there any great need to get the others? If there isn't a major difference in mix compared to what we already have, I'm not interested...

22. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Based on an earlier post, I cancelled my order at Amazon and reordered at Deep Discount for a savings of ~ $18. I received an email Friday nite from DD that the 5 titles I ordered have shipped.

I ordered Today, Summer Days, Smiley Smile, Surf's Up & All Summer Long. My goal was to add as many of the original hits in <STEREO> as possible. I too will buy Wild Honey when/if it is released. As far as a great need is concerned for you, only you can answer that.

23. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The Cliff Richard and the Del Shannon versions also sound a lot worse than their other recordings.

I don't think I've ever heard the original.

24. sgb

sgb Senior Member

But the Bobby Freeman 1958 original sounds very good for its age. Is that what you meant by "the original?"

25. mr_mjb1960

I believe Brian had said he was trying to impress Phil Spector that year,so,he did an "Over-The-Top" aka a "Wall Of Sound" version of Freeman's "Dance"...Spector accused him of being a "Wannabe",and hurt Brian badly!:shake: He looked to him as a father he'd wished he'd had,and He treated him like THIS? WOW! Talk about a true diss!:shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.