New Bryan Ferry album "Avonmore" to be released in November 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Galeans, Sep 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Yes, I would think that most of the vocals on Avonmore were recently taped, it gives the album a consistency doesn't it?

2. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Interesting Rob, I didn't know about these. Would love to hear this stuff... one day perhaps Ferry will open the vaults.

RobGordon35 likes this.
  3. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

Yeah I posted a thread on here ages ago, about doing a kind of 'best the boots' style of box set for Roxy, also bemoaning the a lack o flive albums. I know they only did about 8 lps but I would love to have officially licensed live history/outtakes box or series. I have a copy (somewhere) of Brian Ferry doing 'Ticket To Ride' by the Beatles, -terrible quality but amazing to hear. Also I have been told on good authority that there are loads of cover outtake sby Ferry/Roxy including The Doors 'Light my Fire'. Would be great to hear them, along with the live date that were recorded, mainly for radio including the London Wembley gig which was filmed.

jo66hn and richard a like this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

On Olympia, Bryan sounds suspiciously younger on "Song to the Siren" than he does on the rest of the album; I wondered if this originated in the Roxy sessions a decade earlier, as Manzanera, Mackay and Eno all play on it.

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

6. Stephenesque

Stephenesque Forum Resident

If you pre- order at a higher price than the release day price then Amazon will refund the difference. They have done this on my last three pre-orders; even when the difference was only 1p.

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

oh geez, releasing that would never happen. I would bet that BF considers any of those covers to be rehearsals or tossed off, either way not meeting his standards. Now maybe the filmed gig could be a bonus on a deluxe Avalon down the road. I'll have to be content with the Avalon rehearsals.

8. Smiths22

Not if you preordered through a third person......dam it!

9. RobGordon35

RobGordon35 Forum Resident

He's a perfectionist. Part of the problem, I think.

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, I'm sure he is just horrified over the stuff that has leaked out. Our manna, his trash.

RobGordon35 likes this.
  11. Stephenesque

Stephenesque Forum Resident

You'll have to ask them for the £2 when they get the from Amazon in a few days. Another advantage to pr-ordering with the price promise is that when the item is over £10 you can choose free delivery and it's still delivered free even when the price drops below £10.

For future reference...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201254060

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

So ... what version to get?

13. Smiths22

Depends on which is your favorite format, digital, cd, vinyl or just stream, content is just the same.

14. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I got the UK vinyl and it comes with a CD. Not sure about the US vinyl, which seems to have been delayed until December 9th.

15. Smiths22

Nice, i'm getting the euro cd (digipack).

16. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

Buying/preordering it from bryanferry.com gets you a downloadable "digital companion," no mention of a CD.

If I preordered the vinyl from Amazon, I'd get a download, but only 256 kbps. Preordering from the aforementioned site also gets you a (lossy) download, but the shipping charges would have been almost $9.00. I just went ahead and picked up the CD today.

Now that I'm sitting down with it, though, I kinda wish I had waited. It's not awful, but it isn't exactly the next Dark Side of the Moon, sonically. 256k probably would have tided me over just fine.

...who am I kidding. New Ferry release day, I'm going to be holding something in my hand by the time the stores close. :D

bocaymon and Smiths22 like this.
  17. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I thought there was a "Deluxe" version of the CD ... no?

18. Terry

Terry Senior Member

This and the new Marianne Faithfull gets my vote as the finest releases of 2014. Superb.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  19. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I heard some of a "leaked" copy online today and really liked what I heard. Johnny Marr plays a lot on it, too. Sorry if that's been mentioned, I didn't read this whole thread.

20. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

When did Ferry's voice start "deteriorating"?
    The last Ferry album that I heard (bought) was Mamouna.
    His wonderful voice is no longer.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    RobGordon35 likes this.
  21. Smiths22

No.

22. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Give it time.....

23. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I first started noticing on As Time Goes By. He might not be belting out Psalm the way he used to, but I like how he's worked with it.

rbp likes this.
  24. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

A few plays in, I’m starting to get a handle on this, and a few things have occurred to me.

Ferry’s songs are starting to feel a bit interchangeable, but I think that has less to do with running out of ideas and more to do with a gradual shift of focus. There are only a handful tracks on Avonmore that have one, maybe two guitarists. The rest have a virtual guitar army...there are no fewer than NINE guitarists on Midnight Train. That’s the kind of thing that critics tend to regard as ludicrous excess, but the more I think about it, the less sense that makes. It is NOT easy to set even one instrument up in the studio, and that’s before you figure out what they’re going to play, how it’s going to fit in with the song, how it’s going to fit in with the other guitarists’ contributions, and how the hell you’re going to mix the damn thing once all that’s done. That’s INSANELY complex. Indulgence is one thing: this is a Herculean task.

A collaboration that’s been going on as long as Ferry’s and Davies’ (35 years!) is going to need shaking up pretty frequently, and when they’ve decided to swerve, it hasn’t just been about changing approaches, but changing SONIC approaches. As Time Goes By was an album of standards, but more to the point, it was also with a small jazz combo. The Jazz Age was radical to the point of novelty, not only using 20s era jazz arrangements, but RECORDING them in such a way that they sounded like they were being played back on wax cylinders. Other albums have been less sonically radical, but the more successful ones (Boys and Girls and Mamouna are the standouts) have been deeply textured in a post Avalon frame of mind.

My point is that Ferry and Davies have started making records that are more about this smooth, deeply atmospheric, ever changing pool of sound. They NEED musicians who can not only play brilliantly, but who can intuitively work with each other’s ideas in an unprecedentedly complex manner. Ferry and Davies have a room full of A list guitarists: Johnny Marr, Nile Rogers, Mark Knopfler, Chris Spedding, etc.

AND THEY NEED THEM. You can’t have nine pretty-good guitarists on the same record without losing focus completely. But nine of the best, most creatively intuitive guitarists in the world...that’s something else entirely.

Ferry’s no stranger to auditory high concept...Eno was of course mercilessly ****ing with the sonics on Roxy Music’s debut...and a pattern starts to emerge. Ferry and Davies aren’t making pop records, they’re making ambient records with pop song structures. It’s too soon to tell whether Avonmore is up to the standards of the best of Ferry’s post-Avalon output (I’ve only had the thing about 24 hours,) but from this perspective it sounds pretty damned solid so far.

Max Florian and bocaymon like this.
  25. Smiths22

Mmm NOT available on Spotify. Personally i don't care already ordered butthe CD but its not there...At least not on my local Spotify either iTunes.

BTW someone knows the meaning of Avonmore?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.