New Cartridge- Denon DL-110

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by richbdd01, Sep 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have just started using the above. I replaced my Goldring Eroica. First impressions are that im relatively happy but it seems a little 'constricted' like the soundstage is a little narrower. Is this something that is likely to improve with break-in? I have used it about 5/6 hrs so far and it is getting marginally better.

One thing that is improved is that it seems to track a little better than the Eroica...

Cheers

Rich

2. martinb

martinb Senior Member

I'm now on my second DL-110, you should hear a noticeable improvement after about 20 hours.

3. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Mine was noticeably easier sounding after about 25 hours. One of my favorite cartridges.

Shak Cohen and richbdd01 like this.
  4. richbdd01

Thanks guys, it does seem to be opening up very gradually. From what ive heard so far, i think i will like this cart as it sounded better tonight.

Also it handles the inner grooves better and i dont notice any change from beginning to end, which is a massive plus!

c-eling and BuddhaBob like this.
  5. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

The DL-110 is also fairly forgiving on used records. The stylus seems to ride in the groove in such a way that you don't hear quite as many ticks.

Cardinals and richbdd01 like this.
  6. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

All the best with your new cartridge

c-eling, richbdd01 and BuddhaBob like this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Been really happy with mine, especially for drops, if you decide you don't care for it I'd be really happy to take it off your hands :)

richbdd01 likes this.
  8. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

This is an excellent cartridge for the price (picked up for $139 right before the price hike). Nice large sound stage and very natural sounding. The mids are just a touch laid back when I compared to a Nagaoka. Handles inner grooves very well. Overall very musical sounding cart and it compliments my Nagaoka MP-200 very well.

richbdd01 likes this.
  9. ChadL72

ChadL72 Forum Resident

That's interesting. In my experience, one of the best characteristics of this cart is its nice wide sound stage. I would give it time to break in. I should mention the performance of this cart improved significantly after I started using it with a Project Phono Box S phono stage which has adjustable gain and impedance/capacitance settings. I used the settings the manufacturer recommended for HOMC carts and really love the sound I am getting now compared to when I was going directly into the MM phono input on my stereo's pre-amp.

jupiterboy and richbdd01 like this.
  10. richbdd01

Much happier now. In fact, im starting to get happier and happier with my system as a whole :)

Theres not much in it between this and the Eroica. Except this is mucb more affordable. I bouhht mine new/sealed for £83 delivered! The Eroica is £370.

It really is starting to sound very nice indeed! I guess another thing is at first i was concerned the Denon wouldnt be up to the Eroica but this isnt the case at all!!

Cardinals and BuddhaBob like this.
  11. ChadL72

ChadL72 Forum Resident

I agree. This cart made my system sound much better. It added clarity and detail and surprisingly a nice punchy bass. I was on the verge of upgrading some components and speakers but now I don't feel the need to do so just yet. I'm glad to hear it stacks up well against the Eroica. Enjoy!

12. Cardinals

Cardinals Forum Resident

That's great and it will continue to get better. I've been using one for three years and I have a whole lotta love for the 110. I bought a spare new one at the original price before the price hike. It was dissapointing to see that happen! I wanted to get the 160 three years ago while researching the HOMC's, but they were already discontinued. I sure hope Denon doesn't stop making the 110, it's a great cart and I really have no complaints with its performance.

13. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

Can you reveal where? That's about half the price I can get a DL110 for locally.

My first DL110 cost me £69...twenty years ago. I'd like another for a secondary turntable project.

14. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Ditto - £83 new and delivered?!

15. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

I purchased mine at COMET SUPPLY in October 2013 for $97.50 including shipping.
    Hmm, appears not available on their website at present. I hope this situation is not permanent!

16. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Unfortunately, Comet Supply is not supplying the DL-110. Last shipments were early 2014. I paid $87 for mine, shipped to my door, late 2013. I have actually rotated other cartridges into the stable so that I can make my '110 last longer.

17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

+1!

18. tezca

tezca Forum Resident

I second the motion...where can we ordered?

19. richbdd01

There was a guy on ebay selling them about six months ago direct from japan: they flew out and now hes increased to about £115 or something?! All brand new, theyre cheap over there you see ;)

20. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

So what is the story on the price hike? After the tsunami prices went up but eventually got back down under $100 at Comet.

21. happy2behere

happy2behere Forum Resident

Those prices seem pretty cheap.

22. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I made the exact same change in cartridges as you and have been very happy with the DL-110. It will take 20-30 hours to break in; I distinctly remember the sound change one evening while playing Robbie Robertson's first solo album. I recall that at first the DL-110 had a sound not unlike FM radio albeit higher quality. At first I wasn't wowed, but with the break in the cartridge really comes into it's own, and I think you will be pleased. It certainly has a lot more oomph than the Goldring, I was particularly impressed with the bass. Considering that a Goldring Eroica costs $900 stateside and nearly $500 direct from the UK, the Denon at $140 when I bought it just over a year ago is an incredible bargain. I've noticed it sells for about $100 more now than I paid, but is still a great value for the money.

richbdd01 likes this.
  23. richbdd01

The price hike was the guy realising he was selling them like hotcakes and thinking he could make more money?? He may have also not been able to cope with demand, im sure hes still selling them on there...

24. richbdd01

Youre right, i dont see reason to spend any more unless going a class above the Eroica

DigMyGroove likes this.
  25. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

I've subsequently graduated to more expensive cartridges, but nothing in over 30 years of buying hi-fi has had the bang-for-buck of upgrading from a Linn K5 (~£40 at the time) to the DL110.

Shak Cohen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.