New Clearaudio Turntable, Phono Stage recs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spammers, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spammers

Spammers Active Member Thread Starter

My old beogram 4002 died, and I purchased a Clearaudio Wood MM turntable. I need some advice on phono stages. I'm torn between tube preamps, and solid state preamps. I like the idea of tube analog preamps, but I'm worried that they will have some background noise. How much of a problem is this? Or is this only a problem on cheap tube preamps?

I don't know much about preamps, so these are the ones I've stumbled across. I'd like any other recommendations on where to start looking. I am looking at used preamps to save some money.

I've found all of these in the $300-500 range:

Clearaudio Nano V2
    Jolida JD9
    Icon PS-2
    iFi iPhono 2

2. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

3. Surely the Nano V2 would be a good match

richbdd01 likes this.
  4. Spammers

Spammers Active Member Thread Starter

I guess I don't have permission to view that forum yet. Maybe soon!

One thing that I like about the V2 is the fact that it can run MM and MC cartridges.

I actually bought the turntable with a MC cartridge. My plan was to sell it and get a cheap MM cartridge. I'm having second thoughts now. And it would be nice to hear the difference between the two.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  5. decontrol2

decontrol2 Well-Known Member

I have the budgie tube preamp ($399) which is phenonimal in my opinion. It's has very very low noise. I can't hear anything unless I max out the volume. Check out the reviews of it on Amazon and the forums. I put some gold lion 6922 tubes in it not that long ago and it sounds even better. The owner is a great guy who's willing to help you with anything you need from my experience!

6. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I had the Nano V2 at one time and used it with the Concept MC cartridge. It sounded pretty good, though it was definitely a bit noisier than the phono stage of my current McIntosh preamp. I think it's a great price for both MM and MC capability, and it has adjustable gain and loading options (by inserting different included resistors). You can get a version with a headphone-out, which is what I would advise because I don't think it costs any additional. You just need to specify that's the one you want.

7. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I was just about to pull the trigger on a Concept Wood and Phonomena II+ combo with Hana SL cartridge. Definitely look up the Phonomena II+. It's a perfect mate to the Concept table.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.