New david bowie song / major compilation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richard a, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teenage fans won't be getting a cd, much less 3 cds.

Technocentral likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

not that, i'll to do it when i get home. youtube is blocked at work. i was trying to figure out what i did and didn't own already

3. botley

botley Forum Resident

It's a list of every song (except the new one) on the compilation, and where it comes from, with a link to the nearest approximation currently available on YouTube. If you hit 'play all', it will play them in the correct sequence, with most of the dead air taken out of the tops and tails.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The vinyl order is quite random. What bugs me more is that the tracks on the cd set that are new to vinyl or rarities were omitted. The 1993-2004 full album catalogue isn't easy to find on vinyl and many tracks would be exclusive.

I other words I'll get the cd set but I have little reason to pick up the vinyl. I have 75% of DB's album catalogue on both formats.

Double Vinyl
    Side 1:
    Let’s Dance (single version) (4.08)
    Ashes To Ashes (single version) (3.35)
    Heroes (single version) (3.35)
    Changes (3.33)
    Life On Mars? (3.49)

Side 2:
    Space Oddity (5.12)
    Starman (original single mix) (4.10)
    Ziggy Stardust (3.12)
    The Jean Genie (original single mix) (4.05)
    Rebel Rebel (4.28)

Side 3:
    Golden Years (single version) (3.27)
    Fame (4.14)
    Sound And Vision (3.03)
    Under Pressure (3.56) – Queen & David Bowie
    Sue (or In A Season Of Crime) (7.40)

Side 4:
    Hallo Spaceboy (Pet Shop Boys remix) – with The Pet Shop Boys (4.23)
    China Girl (single version) (4.15)
    Modern Love (single version) (3.56)
    Absolute Beginners (single version) (5.35)
    Where Are We Now? (4.09)

5. Matthew Tate

they seem to focus a lot on the 1993-2014 catalog a bit too much yet still miss "never get old"

6. botley

botley Forum Resident

That was never technically a single, although the mash-up "Rebel Never Gets Old" was.

Then again, neither was "Silly Boy Blue" and for some reason that's represented.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Sony Legacy - Vic Anesini - Original master tapes?: heck it would be about fuc*ing time to do the man's catalogue some justice on digital! Sony Legacy, my CC is ready!

8. botley

botley Forum Resident

MY BAD. Yes it was -- by Billy Fury of all people!

9. Maybe it should play from the inner groove out like Jack White Make it impossible to play.

Lost Monkey likes this.
  10. Because it was a huge hit?

DesertHermit and botley like this.
  11. botley

botley Forum Resident

The focus on the big 3CD set seems to be "fifty-odd singles, plus a smidge of obscure/unreleased stuff". Like GRRR! plus more.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. botley

botley Forum Resident

PS Mr. Bowie: still not too late to put a De Brazza's Monkey on the cover art with a lightning bolt painted on its forehead.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, but you can find it on many other compilations. That was the point of bringing it up in the post...

14. I get that but if he's putting out a Carreer overview with all of the talking points, then that should be one.

This is not a rarities box and I totally get us here have expectations. But regular buyers at least want the hits.

I personally would like all the 70s albums as remastered LPs.

15. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Did you know that in the latter years, Anesini's mastering has been terrible?

16. I'm probably a heretic for saying this but I can't imagine that every remastering by any particular engineer is always spot on

I assume like with every freelance creative gig, you can do your thing and style but ultimately you are at the mercy of the client making the final decision. Artist or label person.

Some clients may let them do what they feel is the best and proper sound but I'd guess many others don't.

I represent commercial photographers who are usually hired because of their style. But more often than not the clients waters down the creative and forces you to do it more their way even after promising you somewhat creative control

Not on un common.

botley and Curveboy like this.
  17. botley

botley Forum Resident

There is absolutely no way in hell this compilation will be remastered from scratch. What, some miracle worker is going to spend months on end compiling original tapes, cutting from analogue, just so the vast majority will stream it or listen on iTunes? Zero chance, it'd just be too expensive for any label except the most boutique niche-market luxury reissuer to bankroll that kind of project and price it way out of mass market availability. It'll be sourced from previous remasters. Think about it: fifty years of material, recorded on countless formats, some of which are delicate & ancient or missing altogether, all the way up to modern digital recordings with hard limiting baked into the mixes. It's insanity to think someone could wrangle all that and still produce an audiophile result.

I'm probably buying the CDs anyway, mind you.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You will never please everyone with this sort of comp and a couple of late period gems are missing that I would have included. But I'll give props for including the underrated "Buddha of Suburbia" and the relatively recent stunning remix of "Love is Lost", which I just heard for the first time a couple weeks ago at a Chipotle restaurant.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Under Pressure is in the wrong spot with the reverse chronological order and the Scary monsters tracks.

20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

From what I can tell...from interviews with artists and labels...I think most masters have been digitized, and are archived by the record label. Then they pull the digital file and master off that. I'm not saying I know this is what is happening with the Bowie comp, just that these seems to be the common practice these days.

21. botley

botley Forum Resident

Of course it is. Orders of magnitude cheaper than the alternative.

22. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Never Get Old was released in Japan and as a promo only in Europe. I have the Japanese single because it was the only way to get the b-side Love Missile F1-11 on CD at the time (New Killer Star was a DVD single if I remember correctly).

http://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Never-Get-Old/master/492824

23. botley

botley Forum Resident

Blimey, never noticed that. Cool. Okay, admittedly I would rather have had that promo edit on here than the PSB remix of "Hallo Spaceboy" again.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

As far as I am aware the studio version of Ziggy Stardust has never been released as a single. Bauhaus recorded a cover (arguably better than the original) which was hit in the early '80's and there was that "golden years" single "(Live from Santa Monica) but I think that's unofficial. That leaves an obscure promo single from Thailand where I think it's one of four songs, the other three by different artists so I'm not sure that counts either. Someone maybe able to correct me?

25. Matthew Tate

yeah "never get old" was the only song i heard of the radio from that album and you can see i don't live in europe. though it would have been nice to get "rebel never gets old" or even "real cool world"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.