New David Gilmour Documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Technocentral, Nov 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident Thread Starter

On BBC 2 TV now.

2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Yep, 75 minutes worth, recording it and will watch tomorrow when i get the TV to myself.

After a break of nine years, David Gilmour steps back into the spotlight with a number one album and world tour. This film is an intimate portrait of one of the greatest guitarists and singers of all time, exploring his past and present. With unprecedented access, the film crew have captured and detailed key moments in David Gilmour's personal and professional life that have shaped him both as a person and a musician.

3. Technocentral

Just finished, was excellent and quite touching actually.

bhazen and BigGame like this.
  4. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

What a great documentary.

The part where he admitted he doesn't miss his mother was very honest and moving.

keyXVII, Shaddam IV, RickH and 3 others like this.
  5. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

Absolutely. He was brutally honest and I admire that very much. He knew that what he was saying was something that would not sound good and was an "ugly" thing to say but he said it anyway because that's how he feels about it. No PC. I never saw him get emotional like that. He didn't cry or anything, even though he was close to it at one point, but you could see that talking about his mother was very powerful for him. I was aware of his "resentment" towards his parents for lack of affection/love but I never realized how strong it was. And I really appreciate that even though he never truly let it go, he didn't become bitter about it. I admire him even more as a person.

6. Redearth

Redearth Forum Resident

It was very nice. I had tears in my eyes. The music is beautiful.

7. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

Anyone know where I can watch this in the U.S.?

impalaboy and D-rock like this.
  8. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I definately got to see this.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  9. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I'd say keep an eye on YouTube. I have a ton of BBC music documentaries on my HD that I stream to my TV. They're not the best picture quality but better than nothing. Other than that, torrents. I don't believe these docs are on US tv in any legit way. BBC does great music documentaries and it's disappointing that the UK has to produce so many docs of US artists.

10. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Thoroughly enjoyed watching although I missed the first 10 mins, very interesting regarding his live appearance with Bombay Bicycle Club performing WYWH. The stuff about his parents was fascinating.

11. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

If anyone spots it on YouTube, can they post a link? Many thanks.

vonwegen, Rooster_Ties and D-rock like this.
  12. Technocentral

In Ireland we can not access bbc online tv but using a dns service you can watch it on BBC iplayer anywhere in the world, I use UNOTELLY. You can also download and keep the stuff in HD using Get Iplayer Automater.

Malina likes this.
  13. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

With Hola you can watch it anywhere, I guess.

14. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Didn't he get shipped off to boarding school at age 7 when his father took a teaching job in the States?

ultron9 likes this.
  15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Yeah, that's right, though he was 5. He said his parents then returned to Cambridge but didn't collect him or his siblings for a further two school terms.

keyXVII and Zack like this.
  16. eirismania

eirismania Forum Resident

Excellent documentary. Very insightful as to how he records and writes his music and the full access to the house and his family was very touching.

17. Technocentral

Hula is fine for computers but for smart TVs and blu ray players you need something like unotelly.I watch iPlayer through my DNS changed blue ray player.

18. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

This is absolutely essential viewing.........superb piece of film making.

19. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Yeah, I saw this last night. I'm not a huge Floyd fan but I found this fascinating too, and the stuff about his mother was very touching. I wasn't aware he had issues with his parents but I probably should have guessed when his wife was telling the interviewer about how he only expresses emotion through his guitar playing. He does come across as a lovely bloke and his honesty made for riveting viewing. I couldn't help thinking what an idyllic lifestyle he's managed to create for himself out in the countryside.

keyXVII and Solace like this.
  20. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

Absolutely brilliant, such an enjoyable and insightful documentary, I don't think I've seen Gilmour be so quite revealing be it in print interviews or on a documentary before.

Makes me appreciate RTL even more, not listened to it for a few weeks but will certainly be giving it a play soon. Although I'm biased as PF are my favourite band and DG my favourite artist but he really does wring out emotions from his instrument like no other guitarist.

No not a man of many words although he did reveal quite a bit to Alan Yentob in the 75 minutes. Particularly emotional when he recalled Rick and that piano on A Boat Lies Waiting is full of emotion, it's really one of the most beautiful songs he's ever composed.

Polly also seems to have tapped into his music on this album, her best lyrics of all their collaborations. I hope this gets a Blu ray release with bonus footage, a real treat for us fans. Such a shame I didn't get to see him live, that footage of the Pula Croatia gig looked truly magical, definitely would have been an ideal setting within an ancient Roman Amphitheater, recalling Pompei some what but with an audience.

21. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

VERY intrigued to see this now after all the comments here!

22. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

It was very nice to see that he is the kind of parent he never had, and his children are his priority.

Shaddam IV, keyXVII, LarsO and 3 others like this.
  23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I want to see this documentary.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  24. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

Now I have to see it and soon!

25. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Absolutely, and good to see them playing instruments and singing too. So important for parents to actually 'teach' their kids stuff, it's something that gets overlooked within the majority of families.

Hattipper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.