New Doors reissues 45rpm Vinyl & SACD (Part 02)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

My local shop has a copy of the 45 Strange Days that I'm tempted by, but I'm gun shy after reading here how many feel it to be really bright.

2. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I think that the S/T is still a BIG upgrade over the Rhino.

Chemguy, AllenR and Clanceman like this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Anything but bright on my system and to my ears. For me the Rhino reissues were bright. Highly recommend the Strange Days 45.

Munger74, pinkrudy and chacha like this.
  4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Not bright in my book. Look, some things you have to hear for yourself. If you don't like it, it will certainly retain its value.

passion4music, Munger74 and chacha like this.
  5. chacha

Yes I know I need to hear for myself. I'm so rarely thrilled with the sound of reissues compared to originals. The new RSD Otis Blue was a huge exception- love that.

6. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Thanks. I look forward to it. Your strong statements have me thinking this will all be a bargain in the end versus trying to find originals approaching perfectly clean, flat, and silent.

I hear you. I think though, I'll buy them individually. Only saying that I most likely won't spend the extra for the case, but I may just get the rest now, individually. I bought a 70's repress of LA Woman recently from @GentleSenator here...a fine seller, and great sounding record. However, with your recommendation and others that I trust here, I think I'm just getting them all. Huh, I wonder if the discount works on the box but not the individual titles?

Also, I think I'll just keep the Rhinos. Honestly, I still maintain that they sound pretty good to me - cut from digital or not. So, maybe after I hear the 45's I may just be kidding myself....but I'm thinking when I'm extra lazy and can't bear popping up every 10 min that I may still play the Rhino.

7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Good information here, thank you. I did not know this.

8. What?! If anyone says it's too bright, they either have hearing issues or a lousy turntable setup. It's anything but bright. Detailed, dynamic, punchy, transparent, tactile, yes. Bright? No way.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Sorry to be so lazy but without reading all 30 pages, is there a comparison to the DCC LPs
    in this thread?

thanks

10. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I bought them individually as well. I couldn't bring myself to lay down $400 at one go, so over the course of about 14 months I bought them all. But I kind of regret doing it that way simply because I paid soooo much shipping to Canada over the course of 6 purchases, and I still have to fight the urge to order the empty box. I can't shake the feeling that they belong in it. :). Getting up every 10 minutes to listen to these is worth it imho, I am confident that you will love them.

I do still own the Rhino box, I got it dirt cheap brand new $55 Cdn and will keep it for the mono s/t, and it has a nice box. I just wish the AP's would fit in it. :(

Clanceman likes this.
  11. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

What?

12. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Just curious about what happened to the first album original master. It was used for the DCC - was it lost after it was used for that, or damaged? Was it used for any other release after that?

13. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

The DCC was over 20 years ago if I'm not mistaken? The master for the debut is in bad shape apparently and this is why they couldn't use it for the AP45 vinyl. It still sounds excellent though - I believe they used the best safety copy available.

14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Also it appears from a cryptic comment or two by our host, he may have used some of the self-titled master for his recent remastering of The Best Of The Doors for Audio Fidelity.

15. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I have all of the AP 45 rpm reissues. The Self-Titled is good, but not as good as a gold-label Monarch pressing. The Monarch pressing is the king over all others, including the Mofi and the DCC. I compared them all and that's my OPINION. Now, try finding a copy that doesn't have a lot of ticks and pops is the key. Not easy unless you want to drop big bucks on a NM Stereo pressing. The mofi is good, but Eq'ed differently. The DCC is also nice, but when you compare with the original pressing, something is missing. A little veiled in comparison. Same with the 45 rpm AP pressing. Wide soundstage and quiet surfaces, but darn if you can't tell it's from a safety copy. The clarity is not there in all the instruments and especially Jim's voice. The DCC gives you a nice "tubey" sound that is pleasant. But when you here an original S/T pressing, you just say "wow."

Now, all the other AP 45 rpm's are reference quality from my comparisons. Do you want the best sounding two? The best is "The Soft Parade" followed by "L.A Woman." You will laugh at how good the "Soft Parade" is at 45 rpm. NEVER have I heard the Doors like that! It's master tape sound for both of those pressings.

16. nian82

nian82 Forum Resident

What missing information? Dynamic recordings are bad? I dont understand what you want to say.

17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i really love the sound of the 45 rpm reissues, and i got the set for a good deal on PopMarket. i can't, however, stand how many times i have to flip the damn LPs over to listen to each album. makes it really discouraging.

Clanceman likes this.
  18. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

The DCC vinyl sounds like it uses the safety copy just like the AP 45.

mikeyt likes this.
  19. chacha

After making my way through this thread I decided to take the plunge today at my local shop and bought the Strange Days 45 (the only AP he had). Was bummed to find the tonal balance didn't appeal nearly as much to me as my original. This isn't a great recording to begin with, but I find my original more forgiving and musically involving. The new AP has detail galore but left me cold. I'm going to sell it unfortunately or return it. Wish I could hear the other LPs but I sure can't spend $50 a pop to audition. Oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.