New Dr Who Series 8 Directed by Ben Wheatley

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MC Rag, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Seriously? Who - Jenna Coleman? She's as cute as the Dickens! Good sense of humor too.

Karsten and progrocker71 like this.
  2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Clara's OK. Out of the companions of the new series, I'd rank her in the middle. My favorites were probably Donna or Mickey.

3. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I expected the good Dalek to be Oswald Oswin (the soufflé girl). Kind of disappointed when it wasn't.

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Amy Pond was a pretty redhead, Clara Oswald is a pretty brunette. I've watched all the shows since the reboot in 2005 and Amy Pond is my favorite companion by a very wide margin, with Clara coming in a distant second.

The only companion I truly couldn't stand was Rose Tyler, I found her annoying and whiny and tiresome (and she was a blonde...though personally I don't find her attractive at all).

Wondering, seed_drill and wayneklein like this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My preferences are the opposite. I loved Rose in the reboot, was sad to see her leave. Amy was a bit meh, but Clara is tops. I also liked Martha quite a bit. I guess all this shows that the Beeb knows a thing or two about casting female companions! :D

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

As someone who couldn't stand Billie Piper when she hit the music charts with her annoying songs, I wasn't really looking forward to her being cast as Dr Who's companion. However, she won me over.

7. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

I've liked all the major companions in the reboot, Amy being my favorite.

And let's not forget Rory!

seed_drill and wayneklein like this.
  8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I mostly agree - I really liked Rose, I really like Clara, but I really didn't like Amy or Martha. My favorite companion in the reboot overall, however, is Donna. I just loved her attitude and humor, and her storyline was so clever and tragic.

9. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Ep. 2 was very similar -- too similar -- to "Dalek" from season 1 with Eccleston. Down to the "you would make a good Dalek" line. Similar production values too. The series has gone full circle since the reboot.

wayneklein likes this.
  10. DreadPikathulhu

I enjoyed the Ponds for a while, but their story went on too long. The same with Rose - they just kept pulling her back in, again and again.

I'll grant that they're not all "pretty blond girls" like I said, but I would like to see some diversity among the companions. Last season I would have asked for a grouchy old guy, but now we've got the Doctor in that role.

eddiel likes this.
  11. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Thought tonight's episode was very funny. Some of the bickering between him & Robin Hood was priceless. This new regeneration has a petulant streak reminiscent of David Boreanaz's 'Angel'.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought it was mostly fluff and a bore. Perhaps not surprising given the subject matter - Robin smegging Hood. And since when is gold a source of power?!!

13. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

What's up with The Doctor writing formulas in chalk? It's happened in all three episodes so far. Ep 1 on the floor, Ep 2 on the chalkboard on the main level of the TARDIS and last night on a chalkboard on the upper level of the TARDIS. What's he working on?

14. Andy Smith

Sowing the seeds. Have faith, it'll all come together.....

15. Thrillsville

Thrillsville Forum Resident

Oh, I know. It's just that I haven't seen anybody mention it in any of the reviews so far so I thought I'd put it out there.

16. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I fell asleep about halfway through. To me - and my wife - this season is a total bust so far, with the only interesting thing being the "I'm Missy, Welcome to Heaven" teasers.

I do have to say that I like the new Tardis interior with the old-school bookshelf, chalkboards, etc. I also like the new opening montage - the visuals are great.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I semi agree. I also like the old-school bookshelf & chalkboards, however I hate the new opening montage - too cheesy/obvious. They should revert to the Tom Baker era graphics and especially the soundtrack.

Shawn likes this.
  18. Andy Smith

I wonder if it's tied in to the 'pudding-heads' reference. We've had that a few times now as well.

19. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Am I the only one to think that Capaldi is basing his Doctor on Duncan Bannatyne?

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  20. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Totally agree; there's nothing wrong with the cast...it's these half-baked stories. I sort of looked forward to this episode, but here ware a couple of loose ends and a stop-start plot going on. The worst season-start in ages!

Shawn and eddiel like this.
  21. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Friend of mine made a good observation. Now that we have a 'new' older Doctor, the pacing of the show needs to slow down. He felt like the first episodes were written with a Matt Smith doctor in mind.

22. DreadPikathulhu

Awful episode. My vote for "worst of the season" (hopefully!)

23. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I think Bannatyne would have said " I'm out" by now.;)

Rufus McDufus and Dubmart like this.
  24. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

[QUOTE="progrocker71, post: 110049

The only companion I truly couldn't stand was Rose Tyler, I found her annoying and whiny and tiresome (and she was a blonde...though personally I don't find her attractive at all).[/QUOTE]

I read some online post where Billie Piper was described as a "sexy primate." As she gets older, that description gets more and more apt.

25. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agreed, I thought episode 1 wasn't bad but 2 & 3 have left me cold. The characters aren't gelling well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.