New DVD+R format doubles capacity of recordable DVDs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Claviusb, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man Thread Starter

I thought they'd go straight to HD DVD...

The DVD+RW Alliance has announced a new dual layer DVD+R format that can nearly double the capacity of existing DVD+R CDs from 4.7GB to 8.5GB. The new format is also said to be compatible with existing DVD Video players and DVD-ROM drives.The additional storage layer can be accessed from the same side of the disc so you don't have to turn over the disc to get from the extra recording capacity. This means users can record DVD quality video for up to 4 hours and up to 16 hours in VHS video quality on a single dual layer DVD+R disc. PC users of dual layer DVD+R discs will be able to store up to 8.5GB of data

The final specification for the new dual layer format is expected by the end of the year with products appearing in 2004

The DVD+RW Alliance consists of Dell, Hewlett Packard, Mitsubishi Chemical/Verbatim, Philips, Ricoh, Sony, Thomson and Yamaha.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thanks for posting this. Perhaps I should wait a bit longer before jumping into buying a DVD-/DVD+ burner? Which leads to my next question. The new discs are compatible with existing DVD players and DVD ROMS, but how about the burners? Nothing was mentioned about that.

3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Yeah, that's the big question...especially after I just got a burner a month ago. I suppose the answer is obvious... :sigh:

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I'm waiting until my current CD burner dies before I get a DVD burner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.