New edition of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway by Genesis coming in summer 2020?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JakeKlas, Jan 22, 2020.

1. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival Thread Starter

I was reading the latest edition of Mojo magazine and they had a feature on The Lamb Lies Down... that included this statement:

“...and summer 2020 will see the release of a new, rebooted, bells-and-whistles edition.”

Does anyone know anything more about this? It’s the first I’ve heard of it and you’d think a casual mention in Mojo wouldn’t be the only place to have this news.

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:) Keep Nick and Tony away please.

Earworm, Opriv, pantofis and 51 others like this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Tony, Mike and Phil were all at the Knicks-Lakers game last night (speaking of Broadway). Phil didn't sit by the other two.

4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

If it's not remixed by Steven Wilson I'm not interested.

klockwerk, DLeet, Parkertown and 7 others like this.
  5. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

A 24/96 flat transfer would be jolly nice, thanks :).

6. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I was going to start a thread with the same thing (I also noticed it in Mojo this morning)! - Sounds like some sort of 'deluxe edition' but there seems to be no further information. So far...

Matthew Tate, hi_watt and tug_of_war like this.
  7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

THIS is what I'd love to have

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Immersion Edition

CD 1 & 2:
    The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. Newly mixed in stereo by Steven Wilson. Single mixes and edits. Instrumental mixes from selected songs (originally non instrumentals, of course)
    CD 3 & 4: Wembley Empire Pool, London 1975. The famous other Lamb Lies multitracked concert. Unreleased to this day. Better performance than LA Forum 1975. With NO new vocal recordings and the likes
    CD5: The Lamb Lies Down On Demos & Outtakes.
    Blu Ray: All the contents from CD1 - 5 in hi res. Original album mix in 24/96. New 5.1 mixes. The original Lamb lies Down concert slides.

1975 Tour Programme reproduction
    Photo gallery

Of course, with FULL dynamis preserved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Earworm, Opriv, MikeManaic61 and 49 others like this.
  8. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

9. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Yes but will it have marbles and a scarf?

bluerondo, Booyaa73, DLeet and 19 others like this.
  10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

A replica of Slipperman costume

11. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

So what we want is basically what Jethro Tull have been doing for years! :). I’m up for that.

Opriv, JulesRules, RangerXT and 20 others like this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Interesting. This is one of my favorite albums, so I'll be curious to hear what they have in store. I really like the 5.1 mix, particularly with the visual accompaniment of the concert slides, though the mastering left something to be desired.

RangerXT, zobalob, agn and 4 others like this.
  13. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I'd be kind of miffed if it's only The Lamb - as that one arguably sounds the best from the original catalog. I'd be way more interested in Trespass/Cryme/Foxtrot being remastered, kind of feel like those three have the biggest problem in terms of sound.

As for bonus stuff, well, I can't say I need live material given the soundboards that exist however any new Genesis music, it could be Tony playing nothing specifically for 2 hours and I'd be in.

14. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel's sister was a teacher at my primary school in the late 70s/early 80s. We had the Slipperman costume used in one of our school plays!

Earworm, tenor1, Moonchild and 96 others like this.
  15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Based on recent history I am guessing a big box.
    If they do that, I wouldn't complain as long as it is good.
    We probably don't really need another cd set, but I have no doubt there will be a cd set.
    I'm not sure what they would have in terms of outtakes....
    What I would really like to see is a 2 bluray set with the Lamb original 5.1, someone with high quality 5.1 cred do another version, and it doesn't have to be Wilson, there are several guys very capable of doing high quality 5.1's.
    Then on the second bluray I would love to see a concert of the album, but I doubt that is possible.
    Anyhow, it will be interesting to see what they have for us.

16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'b be up for this.

Never really loved this album - always felt there were sparks of beauty amongst a lot of muddle - so would love to reassess it with fresh ears/master.

17. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

God.... Please let it be the original mix

18. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Maybe we'll get all the slides from the show to play while listeing to the album..... That'd be good on Blu-Ray... Have the music 5.1 with the concert slides on the TV

tedhead, klockwerk, pscreed and 3 others like this.
  19. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Perhaps The Lamb will be the first, and then reissues of all the classic Genesis albums. We can only hope!

:righton:

20. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

21. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

22. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

What are the three of them looking at? Maybe Peter Gabriel slowly descending on a wire dressed in full Supper's Ready Costume.

Joking aside, this is obviously no co-incidence. Could be just a standard band/business meeting or something more. In my opinion the time for a new album/tour has past but a high quality re-issue programme would be great (including live releases).

23. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

People on Facebook are also saying that the drum and guitar techs are in NYC too.
    That's where they first reunited in 2006 wasn't it? Im getting excited :)

(If someone can locate Darryl now...)

Wingsfan2012, agn, AidanB and 5 others like this.
  24. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

It's very unlikely he'd work with Genesis stuff.

25. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Steven Wilson has stated repeatedly that he's not a fan of Genesis. I wouldn't personally want someone who doesn't like the music to be involved in a remix.

The Lamb is one of my all-time favorite albums, but I'd really have to see the contents of this edition to consider buying it. I have no interest in giant super deluxe box sets full of ephemera. It is an album worth celebrating though.

Speaking of... Nathaniel Barlam finished his complete illustrated version of this album in December. Here's the full album in one video:

I think it's brilliant. His channel has all the songs in individual videos as well. Highly recommended for all fans of The Lamb.