New Elton John ' Diamonds' Box Set Coming?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Jul 19, 2017.

1. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

It's too bad a vinyl set wasn't offered up that contained the same track list as the 3 cd deluxe set. Understand it would have probably doubled the price but would have taken the leap otherwise I don't see too much point in investing in it as is. Any idea if this might eventually be available in a hi-rez release? (meaning the 3 disc version)

2. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I did some sound comparisons to my MFSL, DCC Greatest Hits and Audio Fidelity Westies discs. It’s pretty close guys...not quite the midrange magic of all those titles in audiophile form, but same tone. There is a little more detail, but I wouldn’t say bright or compressed. I’m impressed. The good news is all the other tracks in the 3cd set sound better than I remember. I will compare at a later date, but I know Bitch is Back and Philadelphia and Step into Christmas never sounded this balanced and easy on the ears. Also all the post 90s tracks sound remastered well here. It’s a keeper!

I hope we see the remainder of his albums coming out with nice Bob Ludwig mastering for 2018.

3. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

He couldn' get the vocal and the "don't dizgard me" was a little tantrum. Gudgeon arranged for all the sweetening and background vocals.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Hep Alien, Oyster Boy and Shaddam IV like this.
  4. COBill

COBill Forum Resident

I guess I have to be the naysayer and say that I don't like the remix of "Philadelphia Freedom"; the guitars are too up front and the strings, which are what were always my favorite part of this song, seem buried much, much further back in the mix, at times forcing you to listen for them.

ChunkDaMan, Brian W. and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Hmm, you are the second post to single out Philadelphia Freedom sounding different or out of whack due to being remixed...I just ordered the Diamonds 3CD set and it's on the way to me, but do you know how many songs on this set might be remixed or sound worse due to being remixed? Yes, those catchy strings are also my favorite part of the song as well...I hope suppressing the strings doesn't ruin the whole song though?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I think virtually all of the songs are remastered by Bob Ludwig. Don't know how much remixing was done, but the process seems to have resulted in some remixing based on comments here. Sounding worse is really subjective - it's in the ear of the beholder.

7. Futurecity

I received my Diamonds 3CD Box today and it is an EU Box (Netherlands/Made In The Czech Republic). Are all of the 3CD sets only made in the EU or is there a U.S. version as well?

I can confirm that "Philadelphia Freedom" sounds like something is wrong with it, yep, the guitars are way too loud and upfront, while the strings are way too low or buried in the mix altogether. I'm not sure what the deal is though, did someone give Bob Ludwig the wrong tape or was this purposely done for Diamonds...it sounds botched to me either way?

I initially thought that the brightness might be turned down just a drop too low on disc 1..."Your Song" sounded excellent with great clarity, but when it came on I thought the brightness wasn't quite correct. Tiny Dancer didn't sound so good though, not sure why? Also, "Step Into Christmas" was an audio disappointment as well...it never really sounded great on any CD, but I think it sounds better and more normal on the 1990 To Be Continued Box...on Diamonds it sounds out of place on disc 3.

I did think that Pinball Wizard sounded amazing on disc 3 though...never heard it so modern before or with that much clarity, it's an audio highlight on Diamonds.

8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I would also like to know how the vinyl of this set sounds. Been seeing it locally.

Darryl

9. Futurecity

Can anyone else share their comments regarding the audio quality on Diamonds? I thought I detected a processed sound quality as well, similar to the 2014 GBYBR remaster. Most of the set sounds good, but each disc does have a few songs with audio issues from what I am listening to so far.

GabeL and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Futurecity

Even though I bought the EU Diamonds 3CD Box, I also picked up the U.S. Diamonds 2CD set in a jewel case. After comparing everything, I noticed the songs on the U.S. discs have more tone and bass than the EU CDs. It's certainly more noticeable on disc 2 though, as the 80s songs "I'm Still Standing", "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues" and "Nikita" are pretty bright on the EU discs, but are more bassy on the U.S. set, while "Something About The Way You Look Tonight" sounds much better on the U.S. disc, it's almost a night and day difference IMO.

The EU CDs require a bump up in the midrange to make the songs sound fuller (at least on my system), but I don't need to bump up the mids on the U.S. CDs.

Bob Ludwig's remastering sounds more rich on the U.S. set overall.

11. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Has anyone bought the HDTracks version or from other sites like 7 Digital?
    Is buying the CD version worth it for inclusion of the booklet?

Pat

12. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Well I forgot that HDTracks, etc. are not offering this since it's not high resolution. Looks like just 7 Digital. iTunes, Amazon, etc.

13. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Yes very strange that the US release sounds so much better then the EU release.

Carlox, Futurecity and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

That must be Amazon's most tenuous link to another product ever

15. Futurecity

It's a pretty common phenomenon actually and I usually prefer U.S. CDs because many EU CDs lately seem to lose the tone and bass...not sure why?

Carlox, Scottb and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

17. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Interesting that Philadelphia Freedom gets mentioned again. I gave it another spin and agree with comments on here and within that article that is has been either remixed or instrumentation pumped so much the strings are almost buried. Also agree with the article about Little Jeannie being the best sounding ever.

18. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Yeah, overall a nice sounding set

Oyster Boy likes this.
  19. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Listeneing right about now to the first track of the single disc “Your Song”, and it sounds vocally up front for some strange and weird reason.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

Any idea of this set might be offered in a hi rez format via HDTracks or anywhere? I would still like to see his catalog reissued via SACD or downloads at some point (besides the already issued albums on SACD).

21. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Wow- just have to say "thanks" for this long, detailed review, even though I'm 3 months late.

22. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I don't know, I compared some of the tracks off Diamonds to other releases I have and while some tracks do exhibit improvement there are others that sound worse, meaning just louder and compressed. All in all a mixed bag in my opinion.

23. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Yeah, there are so many EJ releases at this point, finding a consensus on the "best" is near-impossible. I think overall, Diamonds is good for a GH set.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  24. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident

I find most songs to be very loud and compressed
    Modern releases have devolved due to the loudness wars

ChunkDaMan likes this.
  25. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Can anyone report back on what the vinyl sound like?