New film - "Sorry To Bother You"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I just saw this tonight and I have no idea how they're going to sell it. It starts out as a film about a young black man taking a job as a telemarketer, and goes off in absolutely crazy directions. The less you know about it, the more fun it will be. My wife and I loved it.

Juan Matus likes this.
  2. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Thanks for the review. I've read some interesting things about it, and am eager to see it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I heard some very positive things about this a few months back (out of Sundance, perhaps). Thanks for the review, I'm looking forward to it.

4. Chris DeVoe

I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, just know to be prepared for anything. Hope you dig it.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

RT score of 95% is a very positive indicator. I'm planning on giving it a go when it opens here this weekend.

6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

:bigeek:

*laughs*

I saw it today, and thought of your post as certain events began to unfold.

Not many films leave me speechless. After I’d left the theater, I saw a couple outside who had been watching the same show I was at. We looked at each other, speechless, and all laughed out loud.

Some serious drugs must have been involved when writing that film. *laughs*

I can honestly say I have never seen anything like it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Glad you dug it! My favorite bit was David Cross's voice work.

8. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I loved all the creative earrings!

9. Chris DeVoe

I'll have to get the Blu-ray to read all of them.

10. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

I saw this yesterday without knowing anything about it going in, which is hard to do these days.

Creative, thoughtful, stylish; I really enjoyed it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

One set was a Dylan quote.

I hate to be the voice of dissent, but I was disappointed. An interesting film loaded with great ideas (there are maybe 3 movie-length-worthy ideas in the plot), but I found the whole to be a lot less than the some of the parts. It didn't add up and didn't pay off, IMO. Definitely an "A" for effort, and well worth seeing, but not a cohesive film.

IronWaffle and brownie61 like this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

I'm not going to decide one way or another until I see it again. I'll credit it with having a lot more than I can absorb in one sitting. And frankly I'll go see films just because I'm interested in what the director is going to be doing in the future.

The film I was most reminded of was Repo Man.

brownie61 and RayS like this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Saw the trailer last night, I'm guessing I think I know where this thing is going. Would you call it a farce? A "just-so" story (Kipling reference)? Stickin'-it-to-the-man fantasy? Putney Swope II?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  14. Chris DeVoe

Somewhere between near-future science-fiction and magic realism. Just that things go really nuts at some point. Again, not wanting to spoil anything, but if you enjoyed films like Adapation or Being John Malkovich, you'll probably enjoy this film.

15. clashcityrocker

clashcityrocker Forum Resident

Just saw it tonight and I'm in the don't bother camp. Yeah magic realism and all that jazz but been there done that. The above mentioned films like Repo Man, Being John Malkovich work way better for me. The humour is okay especially the first act, the actors are alright but it gets boring, the ending is whatever. The blame goes to the first time director who tried way too hard but ultimately falls flat. I listened to an interview with him and he seemed well versed in the hip and cool directors but in a very superficial way. His style is all over the map. Anyone really expecting some new auteur you might wanna look somewhere else.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Farce. Farce, farce, farce. Best way to describe its' filmic qualities. You used to see films with such imaginative energy back in the '70s, and I don't want to put it in the Groove Tube/Mr. Mike's Mondo Video camp, but there's definitely some sort of "Midnight Movie" vibe to it. Filmmaking today is able to get a lot of the budget onscreen, without putting too much budget risk into the production. Things they did on the cheap, absolutely worked. The energy of the acting and writing takes advantage of not having too many big pockets on the set at all times. There is just some sort of cinematic language I'm familiar with from my younger days, not able to describe adequately.

Friend called me before the wife and I went to see; said her black girlfriend and her mother detested it, but being so removed from this sort of urban indie styles, cannot imagine her mom got past the first two minutes without walking out. I wasn't prepared to like it anyway, but I like absurdity, and lord knows there was plenty of that. Okay...too much maybe... My wife liked it more than I did. Younger audiences with more open minds will get a good kick out of this, and the social satire is buzzin' from opening scene to iris-out. Nice suprise for your next date-movie.

Terry Crews gives us another solid comedic version of Terry Crews; liked Tessa Thompson as a socially-consious performance artist whose boyfriend is losing his sense of himself. Lakieth Stanfield reminds me of the low-key baseline familiar with Wyatt Cenac in People of Earth, before he goes off the rails...people are going to throw lots of offers his way, before they finally figure out how much better he is than whatever they're pitching. Armie Hammer, Steve Yeun - well-cast. And...how did I get through the film without recognizing Patton Oswalt! I wonder if Boots Riley's got another h-bomb for us for his next trick...maybe this time, with even less budget! That was a lot to unpack!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I mostly enjoyed watching the film unfold, but when it was over, I thought it was pretty stupid. It felt like Tilda Swinton should have been in it! I reckon it might have been going for a Get Out type of movie, but just didn't work nearly as well. Here, the sum was less than its parts.

18. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I finally saw this through my Netflix DVD rental plan. I think this is a fantastic movie -- it has been a long time since I was thoroughly entertained and engaged by such a film. It is a shrewdly written savage critique. I also watched part of the director's commentary, which is also worthwhile. It probably could have been a little shorter, but it is jammed packed with clever dialogue and provocative scenes. Great supporting acting from Tessa Thompson. It tackles a topic much bigger than did the satire "Office Space."

Yes, it is farcical and absurd, but the absurdity of the movie is mirrored by absurd situations in life that we don't stop to think about.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

love David since I saw him in Mr. Show!

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll get the Home video!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.