New German made Elrog Er-211 transmitting tubes, amazing sounding, Psvane 211's good deal as well...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

They bring up the level of a 211 Class A amplifier to a new level and I did a lot of testing yesterday.

They sound better than a 1940 General Electric VT-4-C and are right up there with the mystical RCA Radiotron 211 from the 1930s. The difference being that you can buy the Elrog versions fresh and for a lot less money, $1500.00 a matched pair.

So, those of you who care, get your 211 amp up to a new level and try Elrog. I'm told I'm getting six of the ER-211's for my Audio Note UK Jinro and Genrei amplifiers, fresh from the factory in Germany. Can't wait to start enjoying them.. elrog er-211.jpg elrog two.png

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

One matched pair costs more than my PrimaLuna ProLogue Three preamp and ProLogue Six monoblocks combined.

Benzion and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

My my my those are gorgeous tubes :love:

WvL likes this.
  4. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

5. finn

finn Forum Resident

The break in time for the Elrog tubes is around the 80-100 hour mark so early hour impressions are nothing to how they sound once they hit that mark. My experience is with both the 211 and 300b variants and both go through the same process over time. You are in for some joy once they get there.

6. Steve Hoffman

My sample review pair has been in use for about a year, so fully broken in.

7. finn

finn Forum Resident

Preaching to the converted then....

8. Steve Hoffman

Not at all, it's good to know that about these tubes. I'm getting a bunch of new ones and they will need breaking in, will be a pleasurable chore.

9. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Senior Member

Beautiful tubes. I'd like to build a 211 amp at some (probably distant) point in time...

-Pat

10. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

$1500 is more than my whole stereo is worth. :)

BuckNaked and ceedee like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

elrog two.jpg elrog.jpg Such a great sounding 211, on par with the old RCA Radiotrons (and a lot cheaper), recommended for all of those with 211 SET amplifiers.

Dr. Klaus Schaffernicht, (pictured) the creator of the tube does the final burn-in himself, He's an ex-Telefunken man and knows his stuff. Each tube is burned in for 25 hours at high voltage to clear out impurities, etc...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

If you are on a budget but need a quality 211, the Psvane 211 (made in China) is the way to go. I think it's now $249 for a matched pair.

I was doubtful but now I'm convinced that this is a well made, good sounding tube. I have four that I have been giving a heck of a workout in the Audio Note Genrei 45 a channel monoblocks and the Psvane is a great, musical sounding tube, far, far better sounding than the standard Chinese 211 tube, trust me on this.

But, make sure you order the Psvane T Series Mark II version! They look like this. psvane.jpg

Happy listening.

13. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I have Psvane power tubes in one of my tube amps and like them. I am of the feeling that since Asians love audio why wouldn't they try and make the best tubes they can?

Chad

jupiterboy likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Because the people making them are not the people buying them.

15. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member

Where are you finding the Psvane 211 T Series MkII for around $249?

16. Steve Hoffman

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

How do you pronounce "Psvane"?

18. Steve Hoffman

I pronounce it Pavane, like it was supposed to be, before the Chinese misspelled it. When I'm in a pissy mood, I pronounce it Piss-Vaughn.

SandAndGlass and misterdecibel like this.
  19. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

Now that's funny!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

I'm here all week, folks.

Remember, you can buy your Elrog tubes from Warren Jarrett at Music First Audio in So. Cal., the customer service he provides to buyers is top notch. The fact that the tubes come with a 5 year warranty and Warren's commitment to customer satisfaction are a big bonus.

http://www.musicfirstaudio.com/california/

21. GARY KLEIN

GARY KLEIN Active Member

Steve= are you still using the Elrog 211??- I am thinking of getting a pair to try in my Wyetech topaz amp- what do you think after some time with them- also what 6SN7 tube would match well with the Elrog- thanks so much- Gary

22. GARY KLEIN

GARY KLEIN Active Member

Also how do they compare to the Kr 211 tube which would you rec.- thanks so much for the advice--

23. Steve Hoffman

Still using the Elrog 211's yes. Beautiful sounding. No idea about 6SN7 but Vacuum Tube Valley and other mags that talk about the 6SN7 always mention RCA and GE as the best (I've found the famous "Red Base" RCA's a bit lackluster, though).

I suppose there are new ones being made, I think the Russians make a 6SN7 but I found them a bit thin sounding..

24. Steve Hoffman

I've never heard a KR 211, sorry but the Elrog kills my vintage 1940's GE VT4C's so there ya go..

25. Steve Hoffman

By the way, folks, the $249.00 pair of Psvanne 211's are still sounding nice as well. A perfect answer for a beautiful 211 on a budget..

Pizza likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.