New Grado "e Series" Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

From a posting on facebook by Grado Labs:

For the past few years, John Grado and the family have been working on the next generation of Grado Headphones. Today, we can finally share with you what we’ve been working on. We’re excited to introduce The e Series, the third generation of Grado. We’ve revisited every single component, surface, and material used in our headphones, and each has been optimized and upgraded for one purpose: Unparalleled dynamics and fidelity. There’s too much to say for this one post, so stay tuned for updates and on gradolabs.com as our new site (!) starts to roll out. You can find all The e Series information there. Today’s an exciting day for all of us! The Grado family couldn’t be happier to share it with you. Happy Listening!

I'm looking forward to trying these. Grados are some of my absolute favorite headphones.

gingerly and RonW like this.
  2. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Absolutely agree some of the best headphones ever made. I'm very excited about this!!

I hope we hear more very soon...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  3. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

Looks like they've revamped the entire line, now they're SR-60e, PS500e, etc. Don't see any wholly new models.

4. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Often if existing tooling is wron beyond repair or if some components are no longer available changes must be made. When your line is as solid as theirs is you don' t need to reinvent much.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Ah crap... my wallet is getting nervous.... ;)

malco49 and Billy Infinity like this.
  6. LeeS

jeffsab likes this.
  7. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

LeeS likes this.
  8. LeeS

It's a nice upgrade. Much needed.

9. LeeS

Correct but new drivers and new cables may make a nice difference. I have to hear these.

10. gregorya

The website or the headphones?.... ;)

11. LeeS

Hopefully both!!

gregorya likes this.
  12. zx2dave

zx2dave Forum Resident

I bought the PS500 recently and I questioned when I first got them why the drivers on my headphones were "red" and came terminated with an 1/8 jack instead of the normal 1/4 jack. I guess I got one of the first e series headphones. But my PS500 do not have the e mark on them like all of them do now. They sound amazing!

LeeS likes this.
  13. LeeS

My PS500s are my favorite headphone though I do like the RS-1i a lot as well on some music.

14. zx2dave

zx2dave Forum Resident

Yeah, they are my favorite too. I am so happy I got one of the first e series headphones.

LeeS likes this.
  15. gregorya

Has anyone had the opportunity for an A/B comparison between the i-series and e-series of the same model?

I am interested primarily in the RS-1 and the PS-500, but would be intrigued by reports on any model.

16. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

A local store is selling the old Grado stock with a 20% discount. Should I save some money or wait for the new Grados to arrive. The new e-series should be much improved, right?

LeeS likes this.
  17. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

A few weeks ago I needed a few things from B&H and on impulse added a Grado SR225i into my cart since at $199 it is still cheaper than the silver cable "upgrade" I got for my Shure IEM a month earlier. Seriously it was the best $199 I have spent on cans.

rodentdog, LeeS, TimM and 1 other person like this.
  18. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I also have a few of the "new old stock" left if anyone is looking for a pair (60i, 80i 125i, RS2i and a demo pair of RS1i). Let me know...

19. gregorya

Are any of the "new old stock" the stealth-model e-series? Apparently Grado was releasing i-series models with the new changes for a while... if they have red-backed drivers they are the e-models...

20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I really like that they seem dedicated and proud of their Brooklyn-ness and local manufacturing. USA, baby! :righton:

dan c

LeeS and action pact like this.
  21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

As do I...

-Bill

22. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

No. These are the "i" series models.

23. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Really? Mine has red drivers.

24. gregorya

Then you have the "e"nhancements... ;)

You may be interested in this interview with Jonathan Grado:

http://headfonics.com/2014/06/grado-goes-e-an-interview-with-jonathan-grado/

Here is the relevant section from the article:

"In fact this engaging, euphoric and energizing set of headphones maybe already in your hands and you may not even know it. Grado are now stating that the process of producing the new e series actually started at the tail end of the i-series. We know that sometimes when you get something, the next day (sometimes literally) a new version comes out. Well change is scary sometimes and new can make the old seem, well old right?
    So to avoid transition woes, Grado slowly shipped the e Series as the ‘i’ for the last 2-3 months. If you recently bought a Grado headphone and you can see a red colored driver then that means you have an e Series headphone already."

BTW, which model did you buy?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  25. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

SR225i last week. I had the RS1 10 years ago and they made my ears bleed! Fatigue set in after an hour. I thought to give the SR225i a try due to the reviews and great price. I am a Grado fan again.

LeeS and gregorya like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.