New HBO series, "Vinyl"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by geoffr, Jan 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

The title is a cheap cash-in on the trend? Because a lot of teens are going to watch a show set before they were born because it's called "vinyl"?

You people are hilarious. It's just a title that brings to mind the time period of when the show is set.

2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

In which case they should have called it "Cocaine".:)

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'd like to think this line from "The Real Frank Zappa Book" would be the appropriate title:
    "How They Used To Screw You!"

4. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Snowblowers?

5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'd go with some other Zappa......"....have you guessed me yet, I'm the slime ouzzzzzing from you TV set...."

olson and timind like this.
  6. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

A Zappa title that might make a better title for the TV show..... "Flakes" :D

olson likes this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"From the cesspools of excitement,
    Where Jim Morrison once STOOOO-OOD!
    It's the Tinseltown Rebellion,
    From DOWN-TOWN HOL- LY WOOOOOOOOOOOD!"

8. Hrotheberht

Hrotheberht Forum Resident

I'll take a good show with a bad name over a bad show with a good name.

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Dudley Morris and scotth like this.
  10. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

I hope it's a passable entertaining show but somehow fear the worst.

11. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I don't care what the title is, as long as the material is interesting. I just hope it isn't a reflection of Robert Christgau's or some other typical rock critic's whet dreams regarding who was and wasn't "worthy" to become a prominent music act in the 70s.

12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Peter Grant doesn't want Led Zeppelin on PolyGram? Weren't the first four UK LPs distributed through Polydor?

13. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

They should have made everything fictious way too many issues with this program

14. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Well.... That was certainly a lot to digest.

Definitely a Scorcese trademark production. Violent scenes, intercut with vintage music. Great cast; lots of Sopranos B-roll characters (Benny Fazio, Coco (New York crew), Eugene from Tony's crew).

Read the review in today's NY Times. Pretty much agree with them. At times it's over the top, especially the punk band stuff, but Cannavale is flawless like he is with most of his roles.

Peter Grant role was played by Ian Hart (in Backbeat he was John). Looks like I'll be locked in on Sunday nights.

15. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I could only make it about 40 minutes in. Thought it was awful and didn't like a thing about it.

16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Actually it doesn't. I was there.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

This starts tonight in the UK - wish us luck!

18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The show's original title was "The Long Play".

Long Live Analog likes this.
  19. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Just watched the first episode, it was like a really good feature length movie because it sort of was and it was directed by Martin Scorsese. I think Vinyl is a great title don't know what people are on about.

Scotian and stackswim like this.
  20. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

The series title should be: "Garbage".
    I sat through the entire thing and I was amazed at what a putrid steaming pile this thing is on every level. With the bar set by pseudo histo-drama shows like Mad Man or House of Cards, this is a student film by comparison. Martin Scorcese should be ashamed to have his name on this episode as a director.

21. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

1973? That's when Polyester was the happinin' thing. Of course "Polyester" already exists, in Odorama even.

And Polyester has a smell about it . . .

Imipolex G was pretty hot stuff in 1973 too.

I love the smell of freshly pressed vinyl in the morning.

I hope Nick Tosches gets a guest shot on the show and gets to do something evil in that cameo.

sberger likes this.
  22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

23. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

Last night's premiere was sooo off, I really couldn't avert my eyes. From the historical inaccuracies, the self-parody of gangster movies/TV shows, to the bizarre collapse of the Mercer Arts Center with the protagonist walking away from the rubble, I couldn't figure out what to think. And yes, with the bar being raised pretty high with any number of retro productions on cable, this one was just daft bordering on camp. And not in a good way.

24. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I liked it but this is a show I have to watch and leave my knowledge of music at the door.

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I didn't notice any historical inaccuracies, but will admit to being confused as to why The Good Rats were somehow an important acquisition. Were they more significant that I thought or were they just a favorite of one of the writers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.