New Janelle Monáe album 'Dirty Computer' (Release date April 27)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Feb 16, 2018.

1. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I for one am completely satisfied by someone even more savvy than I thought she was.

Truly great entertainment and on message for the Joneses. Wake Up!!

2. The Revealer

I have to say that, having first bought the HiRes files, I found the vinyl was unimpressive. The digital files are more revealing in my experience. So, if you're a resolution junky....

Got to say, this album moves me in so many ways!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Mr. Explorer likes this.
  3. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

4. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Janelle Monae is almost the new "Prince"

5. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Make me feel is a great track.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. brownsugah

brownsugah Forum Resident

Hi, update the thread title to April 27th for the release date. Thanks.

7. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Not blown away by the 2 new songs. Maybe they'll sound better in the context of the album.

8. The Revealer

Not only am I floored by the new material, I can't get over how GOOD it sounds on YT. Streaming rivals record release days back in the '70's. Just one person's opinion. The only radio songs that ever hit me this hard were: 1) Pinball Wizard: Elton John (when I was ten), More Than a Feeling (wherever the hell I was), and Sir Duke which still makes me giddy every time I hear it.

Janelle is badass, as far as I'm concerned.

willy, PHILLYQ, Maurice and 1 other person like this.
  9. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Psyched to hear there is a new Album coming , I'll also Echo she's Amazing live for sure ...................... I have to say I loved the last Album , it might be my favorite of hers though there so far are no clunkers in her Catalog ;)

The Revealer likes this.
  10. brownsugah

I really hope we can pre-order physical copies of this album soon. I want to have it on CD and Vinyl.

Davidmk5 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

ya'll who say Electric Lady is weak or pales in comparison to the first two outings are freakin' crazy. that album is a stunner.

12. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Make Me Feel is like Prince of 1986 transported to 2086. Derivative but oh so infectious.

Django is ... ok. I guess.

I also guess that the Make Me Feel video decisively addresses the rumours about her sexuality, as if there was any doubt. That video couldn't be more lesbian if it featured Janelle playing tennis with Ellen DeGeneres. (Yes, I know, she gets it on with a guy briefly, but the imagery is overwhelmingly 'queer'. Queer as in 'other'. And for the record, I don't mind it).

13. Both new songs are exceptionally uninteresting. I was a fan of some of her earlier work, but this just seems devoid of inspiration. She is a great performer, though, and I suspect the concerts will continue to be something special.

14. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I agree , just an Amazing album .......

15. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

It's disappointing to see the artist who gave us "Many Moons" on her first EP a decade ago is playing it so safe nowadays. While I appreciate that "Django Jane" is a statement song, it's totally forgettable. At least "Make Me Feel" is catchy, albeit a second-rate version of Prince. I feel like D'Angelo's "Untitled" is an example of how you can make a Prince song that is fresh, rather than just an homage. I wish Monae had aimed higher here. My main criticism of The Electric Lady was that it leaned so heavily on the past and it seems like she's doing that again. If nothing else, "Make Me Feel" demonstrates the importance of the restraint Prince displayed in "Kiss".

Even if the new album is underwhelming again, she's a total no-brainer to see live if you can. I caught her back on the last tour and can't recommend it enough.

16. brownsugah

PaperbackBroadstreet likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

While I enjoyed the Monae show I saw in 2013, I really wish I'd seen her during the "Arch-Android" tour.

Don't remember when I got that album, but she played DC in September 2010, so I must've acquired it after that! Would've loved to see a show built around that album!

18. The Revealer

I can appreciate being underwhelmed by the new music. Both songs are derivative. And yet, her whole catalog is a genre hopping journey. I don't expect these were intended to be musical 'statements' as much as they are deeply personal statements couched in music that crosses over to the public. She is a savvy communicator. She thinks about her career first. If she makes some points to establish new boundaries in her music by innovating sometimes more in the message than the music, I'm absolutely good with that. Her integrity rests in her control of her image and not in having a unique sound as much as a unique presence. I think her presence is ground-breaking in the best way. She calculates the game and makes the changes that suit her growth as a person as well as an artist while advancing her success. I love her for it. I'm so glad I'll have a couple of months to absorb the new Breeders album before I have this new work to dive in to. Fandroid 08XB31741 signing off.

19. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Make me feel is from 2086. ;)

20. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

21. The Revealer

22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Disappointing there is still no sign of a vinyl release to be found...

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I think the EL vinyl came out 2 months after the CD. Have some patience.

24. The Revealer

I'm likely to go straight to hi-res for guaranteed satisfaction on delivery.

25. The Revealer

Quobuz is offering a hi res stream of DC at 24bit/44khz (Dirty Computer | Janelle Monáe ). This is the same resolution of my The Electric Lady download and I'm psyched to see it here. I assume the usual suspects will carry the hi res download at this resolution on the 27th. Great news!

Greenalishi and wolfram like this.