New Manhattan Transfer album, "The Junction", produced by Mervyn Warren (03/23/2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Just posted on Mervyn's Facebook page:

I'm very excited (and proud) to announce that the new The Manhattan Transfer album—'The Junction'—which I produced, will be released on March 23!

We think you're gonna like it. [​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault, willy and belardd like this.
  2. belardd

belardd Senior Member

With Curless, TMT has started a “new chapter,” as Bentyne calls it. An upcoming album of originals and covers, titled “The Junction,” is meant to make the music the group has always sung accessible to a new generation.

It includes everything from early swing and pop to a vocalese rendition of the 1990s rap song “Flip Fantasia” by Us3. Curless samples from TMT’s 1970s single “The Tuxedo Junction,” which the album title is loosely based on.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. pghmusiclover

Sounds interesting!

4. pghmusiclover

5. pghmusiclover

6. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Mmmmmm... nnnice!

7. pghmusiclover

Tracklisting for the CD from Amazon:

1. Cantaloop (Flip Out!)
    2. Swing Balboa (Down on Riverside)
    3. The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul
    4. Blues For Harry Bosch
    5. Shake Ya Boogie (Galactic Vocal Version)
    6. Sometimes I Do
    7. Ugly Man
    8. The Junction
    9. Tequila / The Way Of The Booze
    10. Paradise Within (Paradise Found)

I asked them on Facebook if there would be vinyl and they said they are working on it...

8. pghmusiclover

Here's the Youtube link:

9. Cantaloop is a nice song. I have never heard of the guy that replaced Tim Hauser, Trist Curless, or his former group m-pact, but it appears he knows what he is doing.

10. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

Whoa just hang on one moment... "The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul" ...are Manhattan Transfer covering XTC ??? This could be interesting!!

11. pghmusiclover

New song:

willy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. pghmusiclover

13. pghmusiclover

14. pghmusiclover

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Very easy to hear them doing that particular tune though!

MikaelaArsenault and willy like this.
  16. pghmusiclover

willy likes this.
  17. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I love stuff like this-bands we haven't heard from in a long long time with modern production.

willy likes this.
  18. Sort of like Free Design. :tiphat:

19. MikaelaArsenault and willy like this.
  20. pghmusiclover

21. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Always been a big MT fan, and this new music sounds absolutely great! Fantastic to hear real music, I have to get this album!

22. pghmusiclover

Just listened to this on Spotify and it is excellent! It's so good to hear them make new music again!

I'm hoping there will be a vinyl release...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. pghmusiclover

It's disappointing there aren't more MT fans here...

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

25. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Manhattan Transfer fan since their very first Atlantic, self-titled album and as a fan for so long, I have heard this group cover a LOT of different genres, with many different approaches. I just finished listening to the new album and I have to say that I would call this "Extensions II". Where on "Extensions" they started to get much more playful, with fun, yet odd tracks like their cover of The Kingston Trio's "Coo Coo U" (which is one damn weird song to begin with, especially by The Kingston Trio) and their spin on the "Twilight Zone" theme. I applaud this group for their talent and for sometimes going to the edge of what I would certainly call their "comfort zone", for them as an artist and me as a listener. I guess my biggest problem with "The Junction" is that they may have gone a little TOO far with the technology this time and I'm honestly not all that crazy about most of the song choices on this album. This one could be a little too "hip" for the room, if you know what I mean? Oh well, it's only one album and there will be more and hopefully they will return to a little more simple approach next time. Tim would be happy that they continued on without him!

Now for me, the wait for the upcoming album from another old favorite artist, Michael Franks, who The Manhattan Transfer covered on their "Coming Out" album years ago. Michael will release "The Music In My Head" in May and as always, I have very high hopes for another great album from him. By the way, Michael has traveled the "Modern Production" road a time or two himself, especially with his great "Passion Fruit", "Skin Dive" and "The Camera Never Lies" albums. If you've never heard these albums by Michael and you dig this new album by Manhattan Transfer, then I can't recommend those three albums enough to you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.