New Michael McDonald album, "Wide Open", due in September 2017!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It's the same old sampled generic drum sound that hundreds of R&B recordings have. It's the same old digital recording sound quality that was obviously run through some plugin to try to make it sound more analog. It does not sound unique or original at all.

The guitar solo is nice, though. But, I don't listen to recordings for just one thing.

RoyalScam and Northwind like this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

:sigh:
    If you say so...

3. Grant

As a lifelong R&B fan, drummer, and fan of Michael McDonald, I do. The first two seconds of the song turned me off.

Northwind likes this.
  4. pghmusiclover

You're entitled to your opinion... I'm entitled to disagree...

Northwind and Grant like this.
  5. Grant

[​IMG]

Northwind likes this.
  6. pghmusiclover

The album cover:

[​IMG]

dadonred and Northwind like this.
  7. pghmusiclover

8. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Maybe I've been misled, but the article credits a live drummer, Shannon Forrest...

dadonred likes this.
  9. Grant

Sure. They record the drums live, then they tweak the drum track to make it perfect, mechanical. They do it to make editing easier, and because that's what today's audience expects. It still sounds mechanical and generic, and like hundreds of other R&B songs out there. The sound is very generic and unoriginal. Instant turn-off for me. It's the kind of music you get when all they focus on are the vocal and the lyrics.

Northwind likes this.
  10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

The alternate album cover:

[​IMG]
    He needs to record a duet with Sam Elliott... ;)

alexpop and dadonred like this.
  11. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

And a comedic blast from the past:

:)

dadonred likes this.
  12. pghmusiclover

13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Grant, I have to completely agree with you on this! Michael's solo stuff has rarely ever grabbed me and I can safely add this one to this list. Michael, of all people, should know that he works best in a "live" setting with a real band, not programed everything. I mean, you can't get to that "soulful place" that Michael always used to get to, with programmed backing tracks. He should get David Pack to produce a new album for him and get a live band to record them with.

Grant and Northwind like this.
  14. Chris C

While we are on the topic of Mr. McDonald and awaiting his new album, may I offer this little side trip down memory lane?

Back in the '90's I was a radio personality at a local Country radio station and I had the pleasure of meeting an up and coming singer/songwriter named Jim Collins, who at the time had recorded his debut album for Arista Nashville. As I skimmed through Jim's album, I of course as a fan of Michael McDonald, saw that title "I Can Let Go Now" and thought, did this guy really cover Michael's great ballad? Well, all these years later, I have always wondered what the powers at Arista were thinking when they heard their new promising Country recording artist singing a non-country song, but with the most lavish string section possibly ever. I mean, this arrangement makes a Sinatra song seem weak. Stay all the way through for the longest final string hold ever at the very end, it will send shivers up your spine, it's so beautiful. The few times that I've met Michael, I've always meant to ask him if he has ever heard this cover. as I have to believe that he would be impressed by it?

I Can Let Go Now

15. pghmusiclover

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I stand by mine, in that I like this new song. I guess I'm not enough of a musician to hear the "sampled generic drum sound" because this sounds like live drums to me -- what do I know? I'm not an expert...

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  16. Chris C

I met you at a Joe Jackson concert in Pittsburgh, so I know that you know good music, so I'm cool with you enjoying this, it's just not my cup of tea.

Grant and Northwind like this.
  17. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Yeah, that may have a problem. I don't like what he did to the solo here.

18. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

It's a great song sabotaged by programmed drums. The first time I listened to this, I was focused on Michael's lovely vocal performance... but Grant is right... the sterility of the generic musical accompaniment really diminishes the replay value for me. Bland, unimaginative fake drums from the guy who employed the likes of Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro on his early solo efforts. Sad!

Chris C and Grant like this.
  19. pghmusiclover

Okay -- whatever...

Northwind likes this.
  20. Grant

I meant how he looks and acts, not how he plays.

21. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

To each his own, I absolutely love his new song!

It's a live drummer, if they did tweak it or whatever, in no way does that one little thing spoil the song and Mr. McDonald's excellent singing for me!

Definitely getting this album!

rob68 likes this.
  22. pghmusiclover

23. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

pghmusiclover likes this.
  24. Grant

Too 80s for me.

25. Chris C

This song proves to me that I'm sadly going to hate this new album. Michael sounds so forced, while the band, clearly cranking it out, just seem uninspired to me. Let's face it, back in the day when Michael would just start to sing, he would give any song that he was singing the "soul" that it needed. These new tracks that we've heard from the new album, just sound like another bunch of average songs, trying to be saved by his lead vocals. I know that Michael still has it in him, but without The Doobies, David Pack or Steely Dan, musically backing him, he can't seem to find the right musicians on his own to get his old "muse" back.

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.