New Neil Young Archives release: Roxy 1973

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Tonight's the Night is pretty perfect as it is. So a couple of songs come from other sessions. That is true of almost every 70s Neil Young album. Even the live Time Fades Away has songs from his acoustic tour. If someone told you Albuquerque came form the Harvest sessions would you then declare that it doesn't fit? Neil made those decisions to get the album he wanted over and over again.

And it isn't like Borrowed Tune and Lookout Joe are outtakes from Buffalo Springfield Again. They are Neil's songs from his sessions within a couple of years.

As for Downtown, it is crucial to the album. This is album about losing his friends to drugs, Neil said back in the day it is about "the ups and downs of the drug culture." Downtown gives us the voice of the lost we are lamenting, it gives us an upbeat rocker, a touch of the "ups" that would otherwise be missing, it gives us Danny and Neil singing together, the sense of camaraderie and friendship the energy they created onstage together. It lets us know what Neil lost, what we all lost (the Horse was never the same).

I like Roxy a lot, I've given it a few spins. Its nice, its not better. I still prefer the original. It is just as live feeling and there is just something to those performances. They matter. And, well, all the stripper rap crap gets old for me after one listen. Maybe even before. I'm glad he isn't rambling all through the studio album like he did on the early version. The music says it all and I never have to push on the fast forward button to get to it.

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Firstly, I’d never use the word “perfect” in relation to this album. It is gloriously imperfect. Downright messy at times. That’s what is appealing about it.

Now I’m not sure what Albuquerque has to do with my opinion. If it came from a different session, it would sound different as do Borrowed Tune and Lookout Joe. It doesn’t come from a different session though. It is very obvious that those two tracks were recorded at different times. They are sonically very different, especially Lookout Joe. That makes them fit less comfortably for me. Same with Through My Sails on Zuma or the two Crazy Horse tracks on Comes A Time.

As for Neil making these decisions again and again, that doesn’t have anything to do with me liking them or not. In this case, I would prefer the album if he hadn’t made the decision. It’s not heresy.

I’m also not disputing Downtown being crucial to some people’s interpretation of the album. However I have actually always found it a trifle awkward that in the title song he sings about Bruce but then it’s Danny’s ghost that appears.

purple-lazy, budwhite and Spadeygrove like this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

But it's Danny's conspicuous absence the one that's highlighted on the inner artwork:
    [​IMG]

4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yep and it's a real pity this wasn't in the CD version that was around for years. Perhaps the recent reissue has it.

5. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

It's my favorite song on the album :hide:.

Tommy Jay and purple-lazy like this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That dear old 80's CD had it.:
    [​IMG]

And, of course, the latest one has it too:
    [​IMG]

7. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'm guessing a single question isn't worth starting a new thread.
    How come when I go to Neil's archive page all I see is a black screen with no text or anything? Is there a top secret code or am I missing the obvious?

8. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

So far NYA only works on a computer.

9. John69

John69 Forum Resident

That's what I'm using.

10. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

It could depend on which browser you're using. Chrome and Safari work for me, Explorer does not.

11. John69

John69 Forum Resident

I'm using Explorer. I will try to use another browser. Thanks for the tip!

12. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

Yes, Internet Explorer is clearly excluded for whatever reason. I switched to Chrome from day one and it works fine...
    NYF

13. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Also on Firefox fine.

14. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies/help.

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Microsoft's newest browser is Edge. You should not be using Explorer at this time.

16. John69

John69 Forum Resident

I think I have Edge on my computer already, I will have to double check. I am not the smartest guy when it comes to computers and tend to stick with what works for me and is familiar. I guess it's time to learn some more. Thanks again for the suggestions.

17. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

They've had some crazy incompatibility issues and there's a comment option at the side of the page once you get it open so I would write the guy and tell them about it because they'll want to know about it.

John69 likes this.
  18. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

yeah i FINALLY got it working after giving up a while ago ..... i'm running an older mac os .... and the version of safari i had did not allow any music to actually be HEARD lol. i could hear the sound effects for the website itself tho. ANYway .... i just found an old version of chrome that goes w my OS ..... and now have got it working ..... and just in time too .... as paid subscription begins JUNE 1st!

19. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

here's what I think about the Roxy album: I wish I'd been there, at that time. It sounds to me like the main thing is that it takes the more austere approach he used toward composition on On The Beach and applies it to vocal harmonies in the aftermath of Crosby Stills and Nash. So New Mama is really kind of crucial. I think that New Mama, Tonight's The Night, Tired Eyes and World on a String make up the emotional core of the album and especially the vocal harmonies on the first three of those. They have a new and different vibe that is really subtle and if you'd been there you would have seen an artist taking a brave and wonderful new direction in an amazing setting. I do miss Borrowed Tune (although I understand that it's not a solo piano sort of venue) and Lookout Joe just because I love that song. But the record is a perfect window into a time and place when Young was making one of the masterworks of the 20th century and it stands on its own as a live album as well.

20. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

First take after one listen - really like it and much better than Tonights the Night for me. I know the material is about grief but TTN is just too slow and maudlin for my tastes. The Roxy live album with similar content has a spark that is missing from the studio album. Both Tonights the Night songs are outstanding followed by World on a String, Mellow my Mind, Walk On and Roll Another Number. More archives like this please!

Six Bachelors and jeffsab like this.
  21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Love the round robin part on World On A Strung from this show!

22. Cayamo Jim

Cayamo Jim Well-Known Member

Well, have always enjoyed when Gillian Welch covers Neil Young like this version of "Albuquerque" ...

BTW, this is me asking for Neil Young's "Pocahontas" about a minute and twenty-four seconds into this at the Cat's Cradle in Chapel Hill, North Carolina...

"Pocahontas" Performed by Gilli@n Welch & D@vid R@wlings, written by Neil Young

budwhite and fourfeathers like this.
  23. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Mellow My Mind and Walk On are wonderful improvements over the studio versions.

The rest just makes me want to put on TTN again.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  24. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Why did this not get used for the cover?

Rockinrob likes this.
  25. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

because it was fan made.

James Bennett likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.