New Onkyo TX-8160 network receiver and DSD Hi-Rez

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telemike, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Onkyo has a replacement for the TX-8050 coming out soon.

[​IMG]

The TX-8160 delivers superb stereo power at 80 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz−20 kHz, 0.1%, 2 Channels Driven, FTC) 110 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.1%, 1 Channel Driven, FTC).

The TX-8160 has AirPlay, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth technologies built in. The free Onkyo Remote app puts a range of streaming options at your fingertips, from universal hi-res audio via network-attached devices to internet streaming services to music on your smartphone and tablet. Or pair up and enjoy whatever's playing on your Bluetooth-compatible device for huge cinematic sound.

It also comes loaded with Spotify, Pandora, SiriusXM Internet Radio, Slacker and TuneIn. You can select a station and search for music available on these services via the Onkyo Remote app on your phone. You'll never be short of your favorite music to enjoy.

An Asahi Kasei AK4452 digital-to-analog converter unlocks the full potential of any audio format with its unique low-distortion sound-enhancing filtering technologies

The TX-8160 is engineered for universal Hi-Res compatibility and ease of use. Use the remote app to select your 192/24 or 5.6 MHz DSD files on PC or NAS and bask in the clarity and detail of high-resolution music.

Hi-current amplification brings out the best in your vinyl records. Just connect your turntable to the phono input. The TX-8160 will faithfully reproduce vinyl's authentic stereo sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. telemike

3. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

Looks like new features are built-in Bluetooth and wifi, AirPlay, and full hi-res capability.

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

5. telemike

[Description]

The AK4452/AK4454/AK4456/AK4458 is a new generation of premium 32-bit DAC, with up to 8-channels based on AKM’s VELVET SOUND architecture that has been widely adopted by well-established high-end audio companies. This technology realizes fine sound details with its low-distortion architecture in addition to 32-bit resolution digital filter processing. The digital input supports up to 768 kHz PCM and 11.2 MHz DSD (Direct Stream Digital), suitable for high-resolution audio source playback. This premium multi-channel DAC series provides a simple and best solution to wide range of applications with a TDM interface and up to 8-channel variations.

● DR, S/N: 115dB
    ● THD+N: -107dB
    ● Sampling Rate: 8kHz ~ 768kHz
    ● DSD Input: 2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz, 11.2 MHz
    ● Digital Filters: Five Types 32-bit 8-fold Digital Filters

Brother_Rael likes this.
  6. telemike

Would be interesting to see how this compares with the Yamaha R-N500 receiver.

7. jonboulay

jonboulay Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have this? I've been considering getting it, how difficult would it be to access a desktop directory over wifi? Is any additional hardware needed to do so? I'm in need of a new stereo receiver, mostly for my turntable and other analog inputs, but all the digital features would be nice, I have a decent digital library that I rarely access because stereo and computer are in separate areas of the house.

8. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

I just discovered this receiver today. The specs and manual are a bit confusing. It looks like this receiver can only play 192 khz pcm over a network? The usb port is limited to 96khz pcm? Apple Lossless and WMA lossless are limted to 96khz only for both network and USB? Can someone confirm this? Because none of that makes sense.
    I currently own a TX-8050.

9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

10. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Yamaha has the new R-N602 out now. It has Mediacast built-in, does the Onkyo have this too?

11. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Anyone have this and have an opinion ?

I was tempted by it, but haven't seen much about it.

12. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

I'm tempted also. But I don't understand how to get Hi Res music out of it. PCM above 96khz can only be achived over a network. But I'm not sure how., does the receiver show up as an audio device on my PC?

13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Looks like your right, that stinks.

My Onkyo TX-NR414 plays DSD and Hi Rez FLAC over USB no problem.

I have a NAS (Synology) and it works great over the Onkyo too, so it is an option.

Never used a pc for that, so can't help you there.

14. Brother_Rael

15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Looks like DSD (.dsf) over USB works. 2.8mhz only.

16. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

and stereo, only?

17. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Not sure, I still need to test my AMP to see if it does MC.

18. Brother_Rael

The clue's in the title guys: "Network Stereo Receiver". This is the follow-up to the TX-8050. They already offer several multichannel AV receivers and this was dedicated to the two channel community.

19. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Doh!

Still, I need to check if my AVR does.

20. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Good point. OTOH, will the mch AVRs do more than stereo?

21. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Yes. I can play mch from USB. Need to check if can stream also.

22. Brother_Rael

I'll happily stand corrected!

Edit: A few years ago, Arcam released some of their then new AV amps that could stream DSD files. Unfortunately for them, they didn't realise the DACs they'd used in the amps could do this, and so this was never included in any of the documentation or advertising they put out. Looks like we have something parallel here!

23. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I can definitely stream DSD, just haven't tried mch DSD.

24. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

So has anyone picked this up ?

25. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Any updates on these 2 channel receivers? I have a friend who is in the market and I'm doing a little research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.