New Parasound JC3 Jr. vs Gold Note PH 10

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wee Wiily, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I got to see and hear the PH 10 today, I'll be ordering one next week, the Mediterraneo was very nice as well.:righton:

amgradmd likes this.
  2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

My PH 10 has just been delivered, unfortunately much as I'd love nothing more than plugging it in and spending a few hours playing records I don't think I'll have enough free time until Monday, the weekend is going to be torture thinking about it sat in the box.:(

Manimal, amgradmd and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

So @Dubmart , have you had a chance to listen to the PH-10?? The suspense is killing us! :agree:

Manimal and Diskhound like this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I wish, spent the day working,:cry: nothing but emails and phone calls far too hectic, the closest I got was a few longing looks, tomorrow is looking like nothing but work either, might plug it into the second system with the Roksan Xerxes 10, just to get a listen as that will be very straightforward and the Roksan has an Ortofon MC3000 mounted so it's at a similar level to my Orbe and 301, but I was looking forward to some mono goodness on the Garrard, even trying some pre RIAA vinyl.

Incidentally if anyone knows any site that works like Divshare used to, or if Divshare is working again I'll do a few high res needledrops so people can get an idea of the PH 10 and what a true mono cart like the Miyajima Zero A sound like, could use YouTube at a push, but they mess with the sound.

amgradmd likes this.
  5. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

Cool, Dubs. We'll wait for your opinion! I also can share some needle drops done with the PH-10 and Mediterraneo with GN Donatello Golf MC, if anyone is interested. It really is an amazing combo.

6. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, that's a plan, I'll plug it into the second system tomorrow and try it with the Roksan, might not get too many records played, but at the very least I'll confirm it's working properly and get an idea of the controls and how it sounds compared to my Lehmann.

7. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I recently added an Ortofon Verto transformer between my Charisma MC-2 moving coil cartridge and the PH-10. It provides 24 db of gain. I used to run the PH-10 with 65 db of gain. Now I can run it using the moving magnet setting with the least amount of gain possible (42 db). I have dead silence all the way up the volume dial when the arm is in its holder and the sonic results when playing a record are incredible. The PH-10 was a great phono stage before the transformer but now it is absolutely fantastic. The differences were not subtle. Better bass, richer tone and deeper soundstage.

ThorensSme and Dubmart like this.
  8. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I managed a short session with the PH-10 today using my second system deck, a Roksan Xerxes 10 with a rewire Artemiz arm and an Ortofon MC 3000 cart plus the top of the range power supply, I set the PH-10 to 22 Ohms and gain to +3, standard RIAA equalisation.

I hadn't actually thought about what to play so it's a bit of a random selection of things easily to hand, first up was side A of Rhiannon Giddens "Freedom Highway", it sounded very nice, really good in fact, but didn't blow me away, next came side B of Terry Callier "The New Folk Sound Of Terry Callier", the limited 1990s Ace UK pressing, a similar story, very good, but not blowing me away, perhaps the phono stage just needed to warm up. Next up was Augustus Pablo, "King Tubby Meets the Rockers Uptown", US first press on Clocktower, almost immediately I had a smile on my face, it sounded fantastic, all the hi fi cliches were there; immediacy, detail, information retrieval, spacial definition, even a hint of valve like "warmth". A quick rendezous with Grant Green and Sonny Clark's "Airegin" from the Mosaic set whilst I grabbed more dub was excellent, but not as good as what followed, "Scientist Meets The Space Invaders", original Greensleeves first pressing, a record I've played numerous times over the decades, but I've never heard it sound this good, absolutely wonderful, the PH-10 is analytical in the sense that it let's you hear every detail, but not in the sense that it gets in the way of the structure and flow of the music, the percussion sounded amazing. I'm just starting out on my voyage of discovery with this phono stage, but I can already state that it is superb with dub reggae. Next time I'll pull out some soul, funk, maybe a bit of rock and definitely more reggae.

amgradmd likes this.
  9. Wee Wiily

Wee Wiily Forum Resident Thread Starter

Following up to this thread. After ordering the PH-10 with inductive power supply, the delivery date was pushed forward twice by the manufacturer. I hung in there, but after Gold Note pushed it out a 3rd time, informing the distributor that it couldn’t deliver until June, I sucked it up and got myself a Parasound Halo JC3+. After listening for a few weeks, I have no regrets with my decision.
    The descriptor that keeps coming back to me while I’m listening, a word I’ve read many times but have not had a full understanding of until now is “grip”. The instruments are much more discreet, the bass more palpable. Acoustic guitars have more of that “woody”resonance. Have a lot of vinyl to spin before I’m fully acquainted with the JC 3+ but so far, so good.

10. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle LP

Wow, that's a pretty big difference in price, isn't it? I see the PH-10 selling for $1295, but don't know how much more the separate power supply adds, whereas the JC3+ is listed at $2995, though you could probably get a decent discount from there. Cool you were able to make the jump, the Parasound does seem to have a lot of happy owners, and doesn't have all the compromises of the Jr version.

11. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

I'm pretty sure this thread just cost me $1495 in purchasing a JC3 Jr.

12. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident

In my opinion, the PH-10 is pretty fantastic without the inductive power supply so I don't think its's a necessary upgrade. That being said, I plan on getting in order to make an excellent unit (hopefully) great. I'll report back when it finally arrives and hopefully it will be worth the wait. I like every single thing about this unit and can't recommend it more highly, especially for the money.

13. Helom

Helom Forum member

I'm glad I noticed this thread the other day. Based on everything I've researched on the PH-10, it will likely be my next preamp. It's between the PH-10 and Lehmann Decade, but leaning toward the former for it's multiple EQ options.

14. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

I'm a bit confused (v. easy to do!). Did you buy a Jr.? If so, do you like it?

15. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

You are forgetting the cost of a new cart you will buy to get the most of your new preamp:whistle:

Bananas&blow likes this.
  16. Bananas&blow

:). Like I'm not going to upgrade from the Bronze to the Black anyways :).

PATB likes this.
  17. Bananas&blow

I purchased it in my mind.

18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Pics, or it never happened. :D

Bananas&blow likes this.
  19. Bananas&blow

It never happened...yet. I dunno, there's an older model JC3 for $1500 on audiogon right now. That is tempting at the same price at the JR. Not the + model however. My preamp is starting to bug me lately though. I swore I wasn't going to make any upgrades this year after going off the deep end last year.

20. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Me and you both - I am looking to upgrade too. I looked at the Jr as noted earlier, then the JC3 + and still have not "officially" purchased anything. (also looked at about ten other stages - Lehmann, Sutherland, the list goes on - I thought the $1500 price range was going to make it easier - but this is a tough nut IMHO.)

I DID, however, put an order and on the waiting list for the Tavish Adagio. (you don't have to pay until its ready - in about 8 -10 weeks). I decided I am going to try tubes this time, and from what I have read this is jumping in with both feet and this is a stage that compares to others of higher price tag.

I love the fact the Adagio has separate inputs for MM and MC - that is ideal for my regimen.

I have seen that JC3 on Audiogon for some time - one thing that made me hesitate is the lack of flexibility for loading and gain on the original JC3... the JC3+ addresses that some, but at $3K. The Jr. has more flexibility but not ideal for my LOMC needs.

Note this Adagio will replace my Lounge LCR / Copla for MC and a Mani for MM - so I get 2 for 1. They both work well, but I have always wondered what the next level can do - guess I will know once and for all by trying it myself.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  21. Bananas&blow

I'm in the same boat as you V/A. When I got my Lounge LCR I was blown away at the improvement in sound over the built in phono pre in both my vintage Marantz and my modern Yamaha A-S801. Dramatic improvement. But I'm not sure where the next jump is. I may want to a make the jump to tubes as well. Let me know what you think about it when you get it. And yes I'm sure the Ortofon Black will follow as funds allow. But I'm so happy with the Bronze for now that I won't replace it until it's worn out.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  22. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I just dropped off the Adagio list after waiting about 6/8 weeks. Hopefully that speeds it up for you :D

Strat-Mangler and TheVinylAddict like this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

You may have to be patient - I was told 12 weeks on the waiting list, and it's only been about three weeks.

But maybe I can trim a week since Mike C dropped off!!! :)

I also saw in your profile you had another preamp - a tube also.... btw, way back in Nov there was rumor that Lounge was coming out with a tube preamp that would compete with the big boys, but 5 months later and still no word.

mike catucci likes this.
  24. Bananas&blow

Yes my Rogue RP-1 is a hybrid tube preamp. Not full tube though and I have never really heard the full tube experience. I really like my SS amp and they pair really well with my B&W's, so not looking to change that. So the only real way for me to get tubes is through a phono preamp.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  25. TheVinylAddict

Thanks Mike! :)

Hey, btw, I have been away for a few weeks, where did you end up with your stage foray? I knew you were auditioning 10 or 15 of 'em.... LOL

mike catucci and Strat-Mangler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.