New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

We'll, thank you, thank you very much! - in my best Elvis voice.

2. Bop789

Bop789 Well-Known Member

This is like a hybrid of Pie/Chaos/New with all the looseness of a Wings record or Ram. I don't know about all the nay-saying idiots up-thread but this may end up being Macca's best. I love these two.

3. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ok 400 pages or more. The music arrives and the same old whining about Paul's vocals start. Did we really have to wait 2 years or more for that. It s so predictable.
    With that said I agree that Paul's voice is nowhere near what it used to be. It might not be all that surprising. What s surprising to me is how moved I was by his vocal delegation very in I don t know. He carries the tune well and the voice reflects the words in an effective way.
    But to each their own

4. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Don't know if someone said this yet but I thought there was only one exclusive on Paul store but there is 2! 2 different color vinyl. So here is my total preorders for the day that I got: standard CD, standard vinyl, color exclusive vinyl, target CD, deluxe vinyl, deluxe exclusive color vinyl and of course email sign up for the luxury edition

Ringo Hendrix and mikecarrera like this.
  5. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Love you for giving him credit... his songwriting voice is at 90%+, but his singing voice is a shadow of his 60s/70s capabilities. Still looking forward to Our Country though

6. helter

helter Forum Resident

It’s time you know ...I’ve Gone Troppo!

theMess and Mazzy like this.
  7. I think his voice still sounds pretty close to what it was in the 1970s.

theMess, Tord and Paperback Writer like this.
  8. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

The most overlooked George album BY FAR

9. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

They are both solid songs-but not sure they will chart despite the incredible 500 pages we have here. I hope I'm wrong.

10. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I noticed this, but I think that album has been a combination of maybe 20 year worth of recordings. He still sounds like his old self at 'The Deal', for example. But it's impossible this has been recorded in the last few years, because time really has been catching up with him in the past few years... (Facebook link: Ray Davies 2018 interview) I wonder if this is the reason he doesn't tour any more.

Then, I recently learned 'The Deal' is at least almost 17 years old (The Deal (live version) Ray Davies ). From 4:10 on, at the studio cut, when he's citing 'How Are You', his voice suddenly sounds like it has been sounding during the rare performances in the past few years, which confirms to me at least that song is a very old recording with some recent vocal overdubs.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    theMess, Elliottmarx and TimeandTempo like this.
  11. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Yeah I agree but what does charting even mean anymore LOL? I mean with streaming and YouTube and not just sales not even sure that it matters much anymore. It would still be nice to say number one but it doesn't mean the same thing it did in 1964 or even 1975 for that matter.

Paulwalrus and Mike Visco like this.
  12. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

I'll take the foot stomper "Come On To You" of the 2 songs. Although his voice is passable, for me he no longer has the great melodious timbre in his voice or range to carry lush ballads.

I'd give Come On an 8 & I Don't Know a 6.

13. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

If anything, it's way more representative than it has ever been. And these songs won't chart.

Frank likes this.
  14. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Of course-but I can give you "45" reasons Paul still cares...:D

BeatleStair likes this.
  15. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Lol true

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

As some people pointed out it would be impossible for anyone to meet the levels of expectations that s been built up here.
    I'm not surprised about the bashing of what some called Paul's old-man voice. He is 76 years old for goddess sake so an old-man voice seems rather natural. More puzzling is that critizism coupled with the wiews that the lyrics of Come on to me is creepy coming from an early lead man. So Paul should have kept his young man vocals but not sing about certain things because he is old.Di an t make much sense to me.
    A bit surprising though that some bash the songs after one listening apparently on computer speakers.
    Me-I like the songsthe ballad very much so. What I feel about them tomorrow or in one year I don know. The production and recording is well made and ne da to h heard through a decent system. That s were the thunder and subtle details of Come on to me shines. That s also were the brilliant bass grabs you by the throat in both songs
    But still they are two pop-songs no more or no less. Entertainment that is.

17. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

I would point to A Place In Your Heart, in which the beggining sounds great, but his voice seemingly deteriorates through the length of the song.

But again, still a phenomenal album, whether his voice is strong or not. That songwriting voice is 1000x more important to me, and he’s back at the top of his game

theMess likes this.
  18. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

I forced this album upon me in hope I would begin to like it, but that whole predictable country/Americana sound will never click with me. For me, 'The Deal' goes in his Hall Of Fame, 'Poetry' is alright, but after 10 times I still can't remember any of the other songs.

But that's not the point, I agree with you songwriting goes before vocal performance when you're talking 60's legends approaching 80 years old. It's what it is, there's room for covers by fully capable singers forever, but new songs by Paul McCartney will stop at one point.

Actually, I'd wish McCartney's vocals were more natural here. The pitch correction is fine, and done very well. But that chorus type of effect which makes it sound badly time stretched (just like what 'See Your Sunshine' was suffering from, 10 years earlier) is distracting. And it doesn't cover anything up at all.

19. Based on the contrasting first two songs released for Egypt Station, I’m assuming each song has that intro/interlude moment or two between songs.
    You hear it in I Don’t Know and the first video tease .

I’m sure they don’t want to use the “C” - Word ; “Concept” album - but in the interviews and press releases, I’m getting that vibe. And I’m JACKED about it!

I echo everyone who has commented on how the songs “pop” on decent or better speakers. (Though the phone, pad and computer speakers handle the essence of the songs and lend a dose of nostalgia to them.)

Blasted them on repeat on a car ride - and drove too fast during Come On To Me amd got temporarily lost ( both figuratively and in thought during I Don’t Know.
    Addictive, intoxicating music.
    Letting go of judgement and comparisons better allows for full absorption.

Can’t wait for full release of Egypt Station - but I’m sipping these two,until then - when they will take on more shades in context of the album.

Rock on Macca.

20. The recordings are all new. Past two years with the Jayhawks to back him. Maybe some older writings but new vocals. In fact there are two more volumes coming, all mostly recorded at the same time.

21. gaels7592

gaels7592 Forum Resident

Weird but both Vinyl copies of Egypt Station on Amazon are saying "Double Vinyl" but they also say "1 disc"

22. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

What’s the consensus—is that Ringo playing on I Don’t Know? I thought way back in the thread it was mentioned that he was rumored to have played on that track.

23. jammincrowe

jammincrowe Forum Resident

I have not seen any resolution to that question on this thread nor elsewhere.. we just have Denny S. saying Ringo played on a Beatle sounding track called I don't Know... but most of us have commented these sound more like Macca drums and there has been no known statement about Ringo being on the track (or the album) other than Denny's from a year ago.

So consensus of opinions in this thread is NO Ringo isn't playing on it, but that is speculative only.

theMess, Mr. Explorer and Paulwalrus like this.
  24. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I must admit, I'm a bit underwhelmed but I'm willing to hold out hope that the album as a whole will be fun. I think his choice for a leadoff single last time around ("New") was much much better than these two.

25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yeah...I'm not understanding the marketing strategy. Any momentum they hope to attain will have evaporated in three months time... what's the point??

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.