New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Do you know whether they will be a continuation or a completely new format ?

C_Jepson likes this.
  2. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

So he didn't look too frazzled about picking the video winners? :laugh:

MsMaclen, planckera and theMess like this.
  3. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I was just reading the Superdeluxeedition feature with the producers of 'FITD', and this stuck out to me from the discussion of the Horn and Lipson sessions for 'Rough Ride' :

Stephen Lipson: There was no ‘Paul Goes To Hollywood’ version of Rough Ride. I don’t remember anything like that. I think it developed and it was finished.

Trevor Horn: No, there wasn’t. There was a moment where he was playing [something else], people are playing, I think Linda’s playing the Mellotron and he’s playing electric guitar and one of the crew came running in because we were trying to finish off Rough Ride and shouted, “Quick, quick he’s playing, go into record” and Steve had a stick that we used to call the ‘lipstick’, Steve’s lipstick, and he poked this guy and he said, “And we’re mixing, out, out” and poked him and the guy went out, we didn’t go into record.

Now am I correct in thinking that he was playing the song again in a slightly different way, or was he working on a different song ? Either way, I wonder what happened to it ?

edenofflowers and MsMaclen like this.
  4. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Nope, nothing further right now

Sean Murdock, C_Jepson and theMess like this.
  5. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

This is a good listen:

6. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

In spite of all warnings is one new song O really lookin forward to hear. Seven-minute,, epic,multi-melodies,tempo-shift , full band orchestra and Muscle Scholes horn-section, adventurous chord-changed and some kind of political message. By producer compared to stuff like Band on the Run or Live and ler die.
    Paul can be very good at things like this but sometimes it s not entirely successful . C mon people from Off the ground for instance is not all that great
    So-hyper-Bolic marketing aside-this really can be a true gem. If not-he at least tried.
    Anyway In really curious about this one since Pauls knack of likning separate musical movements -is very good.

7. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Ecited that in September we get new albums from McCartney, Paul Simon, and Rod Stewart! Rod's new single is the best I've heard from him in quite some time.

Didn't I by Rod Stewart on Spotify

theMess likes this.
  8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

As I always say, one of the great things about McCartney's music is there's something for everyone, because I love C'mon People! I agree with George Martin who said it was a great song!

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And guess who Louis knocked out of the top spot in 1964:

[​IMG]

10. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

It's still better than "How Many People", where the bouncy, optomistic melody doesn't even match the serious lyrical content.

11. PaperbackBroadstreet

PaperbackBroadstreet Forum Resident

Between all these products, and the new David Bowie box set, going to be expensive..........

Allen Michael, joeislive and theMess like this.
  12. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The song has its moments but as a whole doesn't work all that well for me . I remember it to be a rather impressive live experience.
    For me it s one of these songs thst really tries to be something it never really manages to become.

13. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Spent part of this rainy Saturday listening to the Pure McCartney vinyl box I got on amazon at a steal for 30 bucks. Don't you just love stepping away from some thing for a little bit only to come back and listen again and be reminded how much you love an artist in the first place? That's what it did for me anyway, got me even more hyped for the new album, which despite only hearing the singles the two times that I watched the Carpool Karaoke segment, (I try to avoid hearing the singles until in the context of the album) is already stuck in my head. Macca, you Melodic Mother (feel free to use that as the title for your next lp!)

Paul H, Bemagnus, kevintee and 4 others like this.
  14. bward

bward Senior Member

$30 for Pure McCartney vinyl box? How long ago was this? And, was it a new sealed copy? Congrats!!

15. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it was "C'mon Everybody, It's Polka Time!" by our forum friend Frank's high school band ...Frankie and the Accordion Squeezers, but I may be mistaken of course .;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  16. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Yea new direct from Amazon, bout 2-3 weeks ago. Had it on my wish list at twice that price for the longest, soon as Insaw it go that low I pulled the trigger!

Allen Michael likes this.
  17. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Paul has not cracked the U.S. Top 40 since "My Brave Face" nearly 30 years ago. It would take a genuine miracle for Paul to have a number one. It's an achievement at this point if he cracks the Hot 100 at all. The best he's done lately is Dance Tonight, which briefly appeared at #69 after being boosted by an iTunes commercial. Top 40 is a youth market, and Paul hasn't been a young people's act act since Jimmy Carter was president.

18. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

By the way, the Louis Armstrong hit with Hello Dolly has an interesting story behind it. It was a tune Louis recorded and forgot, and didn't realize it had even been released as a single and hadn't incorporated it into his show. After it started to take off, he was playing a gig -- in NY, I think, though I could be wrong -- and the audience started shouting for him to play Hello Dolly and his response was, essentially, "What's that?" It was literally his live audience that told him he had his first hit record in years.

Yorick, DrJ, Tord and 6 others like this.
  19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I totally agree.
    That's exactly why I posted the sobering facts in my other post.

As most people here know by now, I'm always fascinated that with every new McCartney release there's conjecture about what it will take for Paul to have a #1 single or album?

Other than the fact that it's a nice feather in Paul's cap I don't know why anyone here cares.

Pop music charts are for the young.
    To be honest, I would find it kind of unsettling for a 76 year old man to top the pop charts.

But then, I would have found it creepy if Rudy Vallee had a #1 album or single in 1964 also.

I would have been peeved if he kept the Beatles or Stones etc., from the #1 spot because I would have felt.. move over Rudy, it's not your time anymore . :D

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  20. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

From the looks of it, all of the winners of the McCartney contest appear to be from the UK

21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

True -and anyone here who bothered to listen to the hit-music today would find out at least one thing. That Paul's music doesn't t even remotely sound like the music youngsters listen to today. It s like comparing the Beatles with Al Jolson.
    Paul is doin extremely well for an artist of his age. He hasn't t had a major international hit since Hope of Deliverance that was a big hit in Eurooe(Ecspecially Gwrmany) and South/Latin-America. Unless one count his collab with Kanye and Rhianna. That was a real hit
    Sin t see how anything from the new album could be a major hit either-unless in some weird way

22. Cokeman118

Cokeman118 Forum Resident

I was listening to the "Fab Forum" the other day on the way home from work. They asked people to call in to give their song they would like Paul to play on his new tour that he hasn't performed live. All the songs requested were Wings era songs with the exception of one: Venus and Mars/Rock show (which he did do live on the WOA tour. He also did it later in the Up And Coming tour but Rockshow was shortened.), Little Lamb Dragon Fly, London Town, With A Little Luck, Girls School, and PS I Love You (which he did the medley of with Love Me do in his 1990 tour) there may have been more requests, but these were the only ones I heard. I just thought it was interesting that people were requesting some fairly obscure tracks. I'd like to hear Famous Groupies myself, or Don't Let It Bring You Down

PaperbackBroadstreet and theMess like this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Thought folks might like a playlist to listen to while we wait.

Solo Beatles “1” Worldwide #1 Hits

All these songs reached #1 somewhere in the world. Here we go one more time, I think this is better and George and John are on at least once per side with Ringo on 5 of the six sides! No two Paul songs back to back!

Side 1
    Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey - Paul McCartney
    It Don't Come Easy - Ringo Starr
    Another Day - Paul McCartney
    Give Peace A Chance - John Lennon
    My Love - Paul McCartney
    My Sweet Lord - George Harrison

Side 2
    Live and Let Die - Paul McCartney
    Imagine - John Lennon
    Band on the Run - Paul McCartney
    Isn't it a Pity - George Harrison
    Girls School - Paul McCartney
    Photograph - Ringo Starr

Side 3
    Listen To What The Man Said - Paul McCartney
    Give Me Love (Give me Peace on Earth) - George Harrison
    Give Ireland Back to The Irish - Paul McCartney
    Whatever Gets You Thru The Night - John Lennon
    Let 'Em In - Paul McCartney
    You and You Alone - Ringo Starr
    Mull of Kintyre - Paul McCartney

Side 4
    Stand By Me - John Lennon
    Silly Love Songs - Paul McCartney
    What Is Life - George Harrison
    With A Little Luck - Paul McCartney
    You’re Sixteen - Ringo Starr
    Coming Up (Live) - Paul McCartney

Side 5
    (Just Like) Starting Over - John Lennon
    Say Say Say - Paul McCartney
    No No Song - Ringo Starr
    Pipes of Peace - Paul McCartney
    All Those Years Ago - George Harrison
    Ebony and Ivory - Paul McCartney

Side 6
    Woman - John Lennon
    The Girl Is Mine - Paul McCartney
    Got My Mind Set on You - George Harrison
    Fine Line - Paul McCartney
    Fame - John Lennon

Here is the Spotify Playlist link, I think...
    Beatles Solo 1 - Worldwide #1 Hits, a playlist by Dr. Pepper on Spotify

Strawflds, Tord, theMess and 2 others like this.
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I agree with every world yousay here. Of course I think Paul would enjoy to be on the hit-parade again but think he s pretty realistic about it. When the likes of Stones,Van Morrison ,Dylanor Neil Young releases new stuff we don't expect or judge the releases fromwhether it s a hit or not. We don t do that with somewhat younger artists like Costello either. But for some reason some people around here do that with McCartney. It s a bit weird imo. The fact that Paul still is around and obviosly making ambitious efforts to create new music is more than enough for me.
    He j st doesn t belong there. Or as Keith Richards put it a few years back when asked if he would like a big hit. Not really-been there, done that
    :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I think the reggae melody of How Many People matches the serious lyrical content absolutely perfectly. I also think it's McCartney's best reggae song, that opening is just awesome!

C'mon People becomes exactly what I want it to become, a song that I really like.

I've seen it plenty of times and I've said it, more people than some think know McCartney's music and want him to perform more of it. I hope he really does Freshen Up his set list and tour. I'd like to hear...

The Mess
    Getting Closer
    I've Had Enough
    What It Is
    For an encore I'd love for him and his band to rip into Rockestra Theme!

Cokeman118 and Shak Cohen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.