New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I noticed similar details too, it like you can look right into the soundscape and hear things crystal clear that were obscured before. Like looking through a pristine clean window.

2. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

That's why I was hesitant at first. The album is called The Dark Side of the Moon, not The Bright Side of the Moon. But I like it beacuse the highs aren't harsh or edgy - just very extended, albeit with some sort of fizz at the very top.

3. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I'll have to listen again, I didn't notice the "fizz" on this pressing.

4. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

The ''fizz'' ot ''tizz'' - hard to describe in words - are on all the Grundman cuts. I had mentioned it earlier that they sounded as if some sort of tape saturation or exciter had been applied that can be heard at the very extremes of the high frequencies. To my ears anyway.

Norco74 likes this.
  5. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

Both 'Animals' and 'The Wall' have not been kind to me, I'm on my 3rd replacement for both. The first scrap was my fault of mishandling, the second was terrible surface noise and scratch, luckily the 3rd copies are immaculate. Bernie's "Wish You Were Here" and "Obscured By Clouds" are some of the high points for me, but the whole collection is a excellent.

andrewskyDE and mikedifr0923 like this.
  6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Yes, these remasters have a grainy or granular edge on the highs... I am ok with it and still find that BG did a real good job on the catalog.

andrewskyDE and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  7. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I agree, of course, that they are very good remasters and cuts - considering the age of the tapes. I remember us having this conversation about WYWH way back. Thanks again for your recommendation!

andrewskyDE and Norco74 like this.
  8. Norco74

You are welcome...

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  9. Norco74

You are welcome...

10. John

John Senior Member

Can someone please post the deadwax info on their USA Momentary Lapse of Reason for me? I want to make sure that Mr Grundman's 'BG' appears on each side.

Many Thanks!

11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I have not bought it yet, but plan to in the future and have no reason to doubt it(US Sony Version) also is BG. Although, I am sure that several Posters will be able to verify for you that the US version(also pressed at RI like the EU version) was BG, but certainly seems to have been confirmed earlier in several parts of this thread, that all of these Reissues except for the US version of 'WYWH' and both US & EU versions of 'The Division Bell', were BG. You can probably just do a Search within this thread itself by typing in the album name and checking the appropriate box.

Now there did seem to be several complaints on the Pressing Quality of 'AMLOR' about scratch marks possibly due to the cardboard sleeves used for this album title. Although, several people also mentioned that their copies were fine(no scratches or other marks).

12. John

John Senior Member

13. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

14. John

John Senior Member

Thanks!

15. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

16. cgoodwin22

cgoodwin22 Senior Member

Picked up The Final Cut today....WOW...dead silent pressing. I've had nothing but great luck with these reissues.

17. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I'm really tempted to complete the collection - I bought them all, except Ummagumma, Momentary and Final - having listened to my original UK Ummagumma again after it never being a favourite, it has begun to grow on me a little more, so I may be tempted to get the new one if I can get it for under £25 - I don't have Momentary on vinyl so that's excuse enough to get the new one, and the new Final Cut has a bonus track so again, I'm convincing myself to get that one also, despite having a mint original!

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  18. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I have a mint Canadian of Ummagumma as well and have been hesitant to get the new one for the past couple of months :sigh:. I've come close to succumbing almost every week since. Maybe I'll get the new one just to have the ''Gigi'' cover as mine has the ''White Album'' on the cover...
    As for Momentary, you SHOULD get it!

JP Christian likes this.
  19. John

John Senior Member

Very happy to hear your Final Cut pressing was good! This gives me hope that others may be good as well.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on Momentary. Anyone have a vinyl pressing report they can share on their copy?

Thanks In Advance!

20. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Agreed. Bernie did a masterful job. No offense against the late, great Mr Sax, but Bernie's cut is better. More open and dynamic, with greater clarity.

21. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

UMMAGUMMA will likely be my last PF buy of the reissues -- I bought a NM US Harvest version of UMMAGUMMA but it had a crack on the live side, the best part. So the reissue is awesome. And as I'm not a fan of TFC or AMLOR, I could probably get earlier pressings. Pink Floyd became repetitive and ponderous with these two albums, striving for the brilliant profundity of THE WALL minus the inspiration. I could see them better as Waters solo projects. Would have been great if PF jut revisited their roots and did a more David Gilmour abstract LP as a respite. But if the BG cut of TFC is better than the original...

22. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

My first copy had a scratch on it but the replacement copy was perfect. Sounds really good.

I went to the shop yesterday to get 'Animals' but they didn't have any copies left so I just bought 'Meddle' instead. Sounds great and came in a polylined inner sleeve - yeah!

John likes this.
  23. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

I've been comparing the new records to the 2011/2016 CD's. Not that much of a difference, I might add. I'm still not convinced that Guthrie and Plante provided new remasters to Grundman to work with anyway.

24. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I suspect the same. Overall, they share tonal signature and similar volume levels between tracks. However, the vinyl are way more open and 3d-like with better resolution. There are other differences: Dark Side seems altogether different - much brighter than the cd but way more open. The Wall has a powerful bass, but less boomy than the cd. The pre Dark Side albums sound the most similar, but the vinyl are still more open with a better resolution.

25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I would say that unless you really like Momentary or really want to have all of their main albums on vinyl, skip on Momentary. I got it for the 2nd reason above, my pressing was super silent, but after listening to it Injust don't like that album very much. Of course, you may feel differently.