New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

You mean you've compared the UK WYWH to the US remastered? Aren't those two different masterings and pressings?

2. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Yes, that's what I mentioned. WYWH is one of those mastered by Doug Sax AND Bernie Grundmann.

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

4. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I love finding great deals on Amazon, and the returns (if they even ask) are easy also.

6. Well I couldn't pass it up. I was actually planning to go shopping for some PF reissues this weekend. Instead, I patronize Amazon. Welcome to the machine.... :nyah:

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Waiting for Fed Ex right now, to bring me DSoTM, and I just bought The Wall from our very own classifieds here. These, plus Animals will be it for me.

Went through Grundman's entire Discogs page the other night, just to be caught up. That man sure makes my old vinyl setup sound goooooooooooood ( Andy Griffith pronounciation ).

pinkrudy and Joti Cover like this.
  8. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

Didn't Jimmy Page work with Merino on the 90's Led Zep remasters? That must be how he intended the band to sound, right? Except, didn't he say the latest remasters were the best thing ever?

I agree with what you said in theory. In practice however i wouldn't trust Gilmour's tired and probably half deaf ears.

9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I recently bought the 30th DSOTM vinyl, what a treat. Liked it so much (bought used), I bought a sealed backup.

As for WYWH, I went with the people that seem to have my ears. So I ordered the 2016 BG.

I own the AP of WYWH SACD, just listening to it over analog and HDMI, it's great for a SACD release with great detail. But the 35DP is so natural, warm, smooth while still having nice detail. Very close to the original US 1st pressing vinyl. I prefer the 35DP over the SACD.

Will be interesting to hear the BG, also curious how the DS version is. I will wait till I listen to the BG before deciding if I need to hear it. :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  10. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

If you like the warmth and smoothness of the original, you'll probably like the Doug Sax. I had the same questions as yourself way back - but regarding the Canadian pressing - and Norco74 here recommended the Sax cut. I haven't looked back since. It's very smooth/warm and distant - the way I've always liked this album.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  11. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I knew someone would say that. :)

Maybe I will get a Amazon gift card for Father's day and purchase.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  12. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Both are different and equally excellent. I prefer DS but also spin BG version from time to time.

Mr_Vinyl and bru87tr like this.
  13. MisterBritt

MisterBritt Senior Member

From the most recent BG 2016 campaign, I now have The Wall, Animals, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side and Meddle. The one that really blew me away is Animals. I think that's the pick of the litter.

Chrome_Head, Myke and Zombie like this.
  14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Well got the BG WYWH, didn't blow me away.

Everything seems perfect, cept too much midrange. Maybe I will like the more laid back DS version.

My original WYWH (no barcode 1A/5A) is way more pleasant, laid back, smooth and warm presentation while still having a little crisp air on the top end.

The original blew it away, IMO.

15. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

First time I dropped a needle on the new DSOTM I thought my amp wasn't on. The surface noise of the pressing I have is extremely quiet.

16. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Listening to Meddle right now, got it from Amazon with the 10% off prime day thing. Been wanting to give it a spin for a while, and I must say it is excellent. The vinyl is pristine and no noise whatsoever. The highlight for me is the breakdown on side two. Nice thumping bass drum.

It's a definite improvement over my VG+ original US pressing. Hard to find an original copy without it being a little noisy. At least I haven't found one. The reissue is worth it for a quiet listening experience.

puelche, Hattipper, Myke and 3 others like this.
  17. Myke

Meddle is exactly the next one I've been eyeing. Selling my somewhat-noisy UK copy to my local, as an incentive.
    (with 3 digital copies, inc. quad I can drag my feet on ordering).

18. Myke

Liar. I bought Atom Heart Mother too. :hide:

eyeCalypso likes this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

As soon as the Hot Summer Temps are gone(do not want Vinyl sitting in Hot Delivery Trucks where Warping/Dishing might occur, so even though I am new to Vinyl, figure it is smart to just buy on-line during the other 9 months of the year), I plan to order 'UmmaGumma' from the UK to get the Optimal Pressing(that I got for Pipers, SOS & More), since there seemed to be a lot of complaints of Dishing for the US versions of the first 4 albums pressed by RTI(which surprised me as thought RTI gets good reviews overall as a US Pressing Plant, but maybe they were overworked at the time).

Anyways, once I get 'UmmaGumma' then I have completed my collection(no plans to buy the 'The Final Leftovers' as it is tuneless to me and The Wall was already too bloated, but I did buy that album as it also has great Artwork). The Live Side of 'UmmaGumma' is actually my favorite part of the PF Catalog, so might be strange that this albums ends up being the last one I get around to buying, but still struggle to enjoy most of the Studio Songs on it, and when playing the CD, usually only play the Live Disc(my most played PF CD). Just wish the Live Disc included a few more songs('Interstellar Overdrive', Embryo-10+ Minutes version similar to one of the BBC versions).

I did not buy 'The Endless River' on Vinyl, as while I like it, it seems to be the type of music to best be heard without interruption by flipping the Vinyl(same thoughts on 'Passion' by Peter Gabriel that is getting a Vinyl Release this month, but having gotten into Vinyl because of the Peter Gabriel Reissues, it might be hard for me to not buy 'Passion' on Vinyl), so I would rather just play 'The Endless River' on CD with Headphones to fall asleep while it is on(although, I usually make it through the entire album before falling asleep).

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. Myke

Endless River Blu ray in 5.1...

21. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Wonderful!

22. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

I love your avatar. I was Slater in High School

23. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Just picked up the UK Wish You Were Here and The Wall on 180g LP, quite astonished at how good they sound and the effort to reproduce the original releases. My question is are they all this good?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  24. Dbstay

Dbstay Senior Member

I do not have the originals, I can only compare with the CDs from the 90´s, and yes the remastered LPs sound far superior. My favorite is Meddle with regards to sound quality.

Sgt Pepper likes this.