New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

How do people on here rate the latest Wish You Were Here BG cut with the very best cut?

2. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Seeing as dsot is label PFR 16 and cogds is PFR 19 will the next 2 releases be Relics which is PFR 18 and Pulse which is PFR 17 which will feel the gap then Echoes best of is PFR 20

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Coming out soon:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JeffMo, LucasRios98 and superstar19 like this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

6. Philrock90

I've got them on my christmas list haha hopefully next year we get relics pulse and echoes and maybe at a push the wall live

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

If we keep it chronologically PFR20 should be Is There Anybody Out There? (2000) before Echoes (2001), unless they don't plan a triple vinyl version of 'The Wall' live.
    [Edit:] Even less possible but I hope they gonna compile the full Empire Pool '74 concert on vinyl sometime.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Derek Slazenger likes this.
  8. Philrock90

Im just going by the cds which has Echoes as PFR 20

9. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

That’s very reassuring about the possibilty of Pulse reissue. Which I’d really like to happen.

iloveguitars likes this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oops. Okay, I don't have that on CD yet.^^

11. Mrpinky

Mrpinky Forum Resident

Do you see that the cover have a different pic motif?

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Huh?

LonesomeDayBlues likes this.
  13. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

If only we could get the dsot film to be released on blu ray. But Gilmour doesnt like the era.

Then again, iirc, he wasnt fond of some of the early Floyd stuff either. But most of that was just released.

14. Matt S

Matt S Forum Resident

My suspicion is that all the archive material we talk about/long for will be released as part of a future box set similar to The Early Years. I would imagine there will be 2 further boxes - The Waters Years (1973 - 1983), and The Gilmour Years (post 1983).

It was confirmed a few years ago now that David Gilmour and Nick Mason had begun to rework A Momentary Lapse of Reason by overdubbing new drum tracks to replace the original 80s sounding acoustic and synthesised drums, and they were flying in more Rick Wright Hammond Organ and synth playing from the Delicate Sound of Thunder concert recordings. At the time, this re-imagined version of AMLOR was said to be being prepared for an immersion edition of the album, similar to the ones they put out for The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here. Things have gone quiet on the subject of this reworked version in recent years, so unless they went off the idea/weren't pleased with the results, I guess it must be ready to go or in the advanced stages of production. Then The Early Years box set came out, and joining the dots, I concluded that all archive releases, such as a DVD/BluRay of DSOT, will be saved up for future box sets. Don't hold me to this - this is just my suspicion, however it seems logical to me...

xXFloydianXx likes this.
  15. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

You're right! DSOT in the picture above is slightly different to the original (at least to my UK original LP). - The 'bulb man,s' head is turned slightly more to the left; There is more of his white shirt collar showing; The position of the rocks on the ground is different; His walking cane is closer to his right leg; The arrangement of bulbs at the top of his right leg is totally different. And these are just some of the things I've instantly noticed...

A different take from the photo shoot for sure.

Hattipper likes this.
  16. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Surprised that A Collection Of Great Dance Songs is getting a remastered release.
    Looking forward to it.
    When I first heard it - only a few years ago on cd - the unlikely track list really worked. Better than any other comp they've released.
    Except for Brick In The Wall, which was obviously included for marketing. Doesn't fit on the comp.
    But the rest is really something of an unlikely, seemingly counterintuitive sequencing.
    Who did this? Was it just a fluke? Brilliant nonetheless.
    I prefer the mastering of Sheep on this cd over the otherwise good '92 Sax remaster.

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It was also confirmed that this project was canned.

andrewskyDE and Hattipper like this.
  18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Gilmour worked on the comp while Waters was working on the film music for Pink Floyd: The Wall

19. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

I'm just sitting here patiently waiting for PATGOD in mono on vinyl.

20. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

So what's the overall impression of the Pink Flloyd reissue series. I haven't been following this thread. I just read a few posts here and there, from what I gather:

1) Excellent sounding series, digital based - not AAA, great packaging, dead quiet vinyl and for the most part, only bested by minty UK originals.
    2) The MFSL trio of vinyl (Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother) have their fans and some consider them still better than the reissues.
    3) There is two versions of Wish You Here Here, Doug Sax and Bernie Grundman. The sax was was from 2011 in 2016 packaging? and new corrected copies feature the Grundman.
    4) Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary vinyl seems a little better than the reissue.

Is this the cliff notes to the 500+ pages? Or did I get some of this wrong. Any other info worth noting? I am think about picking up most of the series but haven't bought any yet. I am partial to MFSL and may "collect" those. I have all the MFSL gold cds.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  21. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Replica packaging :)

22. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

PFRLPM1 please! ;)

Yes, you got it all right. I would only add that Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary seem to be really love it or hate it release soundwise, and had a number of QC issues, so if buying a second hand copy proceed with caution.

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Not necessarily correct. I have the 30th Anniversary LP and the Grundman reissue and the Grundman reissue has much less sibilance than the 30th Anniversary. Also the notoriously difficult part of side 2 from "Any Colour You Like" to the end sound very good on the Grundman pressing. Congestion and sibilance are tamed significantly. There's still a certain "wow" factor to the 30th but the Grundman reissue is a worthy challenger.

23 DJ Mix likes this.
  24. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Yeah, when it comes to Dark Side of the Moon, I am probably going to have to opt for the MFSL. I have mostly listened to this album on the Gold Disc and so that presentation is what sounds "right to me" I am guessing the MFSL vinyl is the one I would enjoy the most. MFSL Meddle is high priced and the reissue has lots of praise, so the MFSL might not be the best value proposition. Haven't researched Atom Heart Mother yet...

25. Well, when those rumours were going around we found out about The Endless River. That must of been the project all the overdubs had been for, and people just assumed it'd be AMLOR. I'm just saying don't hold your breath, but if there is such a things as a AMLOR redone in the can and a Immersion set someday, I am all for it.