New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

No, it isn't.
    [​IMG]

Smegman likes this.
  2. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

That's strange...

[​IMG]

3. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

WOAH!!!! I never knew that it was ACTUALLY INTENDED for inclusion on TFC (but obviously dropped from the running order at the last minute). But I just looked at the Discogs entry, and it was actually released as a U.S. Promo single AND commercially in the U.K. and Australia, and all of them had the sub-heading "Taken from the LP, "The Final Cut""! Talk about learning something new! Anyway, I guess that would make its inclusion on the revised "Final Cut" BEGRUDGINGLY more acceptable, if they were to reissue it that way for the 2016 campaign.

4. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

It isn't strange at all, really. This is a mini-replica of the vinyl. Therefore they have to replicate the artwork, right? So One of These Days has to be mentioned on the back cover. Besides, there isn't room for the song on the cd, since the length without the song on cd 1 already is over 75 minutes.

But it is a bit misleading, I'm with you on that.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The Final Cut was originally intended to be a soundtrack album to the film. A single LP featuring different versions of songs (like Mother and Outside the Wall) and the songs that Geldof sings plus a few others. It was never intended to be on the official release and IMO I don't think it works. It came off as more of a marketing ploy to sell the reissued CD.

Jerry Horne and Vinyl Dude like this.
  6. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

You're absolutely right, that's just artwork:

[​IMG]

LarsO likes this.
  7. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about, alternate versions of the songs as they were featured in the movie, as well as what appeared to be slight re-mixes of the songs that WERE on the original "Wall" album. That scrapped 1982 movie soundtrack album has been bootlegged VERY heavily over the years, and at one point a few years ago, it was up on Youtube (but. naturally, had to be taken down on account of Copyright matters). And I gotta say that it would've made one HELLUVA standalone album in its own right. To be honest, I think it was kind of foolish of them not to go ahead and release it WHILE working on "Final Cut" (and maybe pushing that album's release back a bit). Oh, the possibilities...IF only.

8. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

That's the film version as well. I think the 7" version is punchier. Shame it was never on a commercial cd.

LarsO and Vinyl Dude like this.
  9. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Getting back on topic... So, who is going to be the hero that does a direct comparison between the US and EU editions?

10. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Better yet who's gonna be the hero that does an A/B comparison with the originals with an honest non-biased opinion??

chacha likes this.
  11. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Wow, a Gort who's NOT asleep at the wheel .........:winkgrin:
    AND is a Looney Tune Fan!! :goodie:

'Roota Voota Zoot' Indeed!!

My kinda Gort!!
    the beave

12. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've heard he has none but I'm unable to verify this.

Millington likes this.
  13. Verifying that I have a few:

[​IMG]

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Is that album any good?

:D

15. Never heard it :tiphat:

supermd, mr.dave, Hattipper and 5 others like this.
  16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

A true collector. :shtiphat:

17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

This liketh me well.

Mazzy likes this.
  18. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

They could have produced this as a 4CD set though, since it is supposed to be a vinyl replica release. A CD could then have the same tracklisting as an LP, and as a result they could include One of These Days.

LarsO and Sytze like this.
  19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Did you just get these yesterday?

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Ben Adams and Mazzy like this.
  20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I'm with you on that. Wasted opportunity. I've a hunch that it's often more about packaging than content with these vinyl replicas.

PH416156 likes this.
  21. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I love The Wall for what it is but it didn't resonate with me like all of the previous albums did. As Pink Floyd progressed through the years, it became more and more The Roger Waters Project. Obviously he was the mastermind behind the majority of their 70's work, and The Wall (and TFC) are the concluding statements in that trend.

There is obviously some great music on The Wall- some of my favorite Pink Floyd tracks for sure. But as a whole, it never moved me like DSOTM, Meddle, WYWH, Animals.....

That said, is IS essential Floyd, without question. And I DO love it. Just not as much as above mentioned works....

22. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

I suppose they will be the exact same mastering... no?

23. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Roger Waters wasn't the mastermind behind Speak to Me. That is created solely by Nick Mason. Don't you dare call that a Roger Waters composition!

rontoon, mr.dave and davesmoked like this.
  24. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Nick Mason receives a rare solo writing credit for the track; Roger Waters subsequently claimed this was a "gift" to Mason, one which Waters came to regret after his acrimonious departure from the band.

"God, I resent giving that to him now,” Waters said. “'Cause he had nothing to do with it... It was like a gift. It was all right at the time."

Pink Floyd’s ‘Dark Side’: 40 Years Later, 40 Mind-Blowing Facts About The Mad Classic »
    Speak to Me - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

hi_watt likes this.
  25. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

I am sorry re my misinformation re the Pulse mini vinyl!
    I just had a look at the tracklisting and did my posting(which was plain wrong(after all).
    Anyway,I do have the version that's only to be found on the vinyl box on a boot!