New Prince: 4Ever (2016) & Purple Rain Deluxe (2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree with all this.

My point is that we were promised 2 discs (a potential 160 minutes) of unreleased material. That leaves plenty of room for just about every relevant outtake/ alternate version that has leaked, PLUS some completely unheard stuff.

2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Honestly for me the whole box set would be worth it even just to finally have Wonderful Ass, the hallway Computer Blue, Electric Intercourse, and The Dance Electric in full quality and properly mastered. Without the tape hisses and other various forms of distortion even on the best quality bootlegs out there, and with full masterings being done, it should do nothing but give these amazing songs their proper due. I cannot wait to put on my headphones and jam out to these in their full glory

jhm and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

The tracks themselves are very good. Assuming the sources are the original tapes and not compressed to hell, SQ should be nice too.
    None of the Disc 3 tracks were seriously considered for the album... Father's Song did appear on an early configuration. CB kept getting cut down as other tracks were added. I think Possessed might've shown up on another early config. Wonderful Ass was never considered... Fun sexy song, but didn't fit everything else. Dance Electric was recorded around the same time as Erotic City... After the album was already done and I think even after release date!

4. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

That's a very fair point. Wasn't this originally supposed to be five discs of audio? So that's disappointing.
    But considering all the ways they could've screwed this up (and Prince was as bad as anyone with his own archival material).... I think Disc 3 exceeds my expectations.
    Disc 2 being previously released versions is disappointing, of course. That said, ALC and EC haven't been released on CD in their true extended versions, correct? That's some value, even for those of us who have the originals on vinyl.

5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The press release you quoted in the original post of this thread says: "The remaster of the classic Purple Rain will arrive with a second album of previously unreleased material" - that is what we are now getting. The wording of the later press release was very questionable, especially since it clashed with the previous press release, and many interpreted that as simply meaning there were two bonus discs.

Says who?

6. BlueGangsta

I'm pretty sure it's always been 3 Audio, 2 DVDs.

That's a nice way to look at it, but i just can't. Perhaps I've been too burned by Michael Jackson's and 2Pac's estates, but I strongly believe that an artist with these calibre deserve better and those in-charge should have their feet held to the fire for it.

Erotic City had a great CD release in 89(?), and a terrible digital one a couple of years ago. You are correct about Another Lonely Christmas, that is exciting!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. BlueGangsta

The reissue pairs the newly remastered Purple Rain with "two incredible albums of previously unreleased Prince music and two complete concert films." The exact contents of that bonus material have not yet been announced.

Prince's 'Purple Rain' Reissue Features Unreleased Music, Concert Films

Matthew Tate and Mr. H like this.
  8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, that refers to the second (February 12) press release (I have posted an actual image of it in this thread), but the earlier one (October 21) says "a second album of previously unreleased material", one of them had to be wrong, so which one is what we were "promised"?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    npgchris likes this.
  9. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

Concert films?!?!?!?

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

So an article from Rolling Stone without any quotes on the part about the 2 discs or attribution as to where that info came from constitutes a solemn promise from the administrators?

11. BlueGangsta

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

There was this, where the information comes from: New Prince: 4Ever (2016) & Purple Rain Deluxe (2017)

But I think people are putting too much faith in the wording of these things, it is sales talk and has to be taken with a grain of salt and not as a binding "promise".

Edit: I was beat to it via my own (same) post quoted above.

BlueGangsta likes this.
  13. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Fair enough. Personally I have been lied to by record companies since forever so a change from press release to actual release isn't really all that noteworthy. I am still waiting for all of those great Van Morrisson rereleases we were promised by Sony. :laugh:

Matthew Tate and BlueGangsta like this.
  14. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

My fault... I forgot that Syracuse IS the same as the VHS release.
    So yes... Assuming there's a second concert included... and assuming they make the right call... We might get the Avenue, officially.

Matthew Tate and DeeThomaz like this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It makes a lot of sense.

16. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I do vaguely remember a European-only CD single for "Let's Go Crazy," right?
    Anyway, it's still ridiculous that Erotic City has only made it only ONE official Prince compilation (Hits/B-Sides), and that was the edit.

And not that they're my personal favorites, but did the instrumental 12" of "God" and the rehearsal version of "I Would Die 4 U" ever show on CD before now?

17. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

wasn't it also on Girl 6 OST (albeit the edit) ?

18. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Other box sets! I must say, it's nice that Prince took very good care of his unreleased material. The always forward thinking Prince probably had an idea that all of the material he recorded would come into use someday, even the stuff that wasn't at first intended for release. With most artists that material gets thrown away or damaged. Prince took very good care of all of his work, which means he probably took pride in everything too. It's all in the vault.

19. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Oh yeah. Not truly a Prince comp but close enough. That's still the easiest way to obtain "Screams Of Passion" by The Family on CD. (And "Nasty Girl" for that matter.)

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The '89 CD-singe that had the full "Erotic City" actually also had the long "I Would Die 4 U", so answers part of your question: Prince - Erotic City / I Would Die 4 U

The instrumental "God" has never been on CD.

21. I hate to be the bearer of bad news - and I mean, we really don't know for certain - but there's been word out of PP that at least a good amount of Prince's original multi-tracks and masters are in less than optimal condition.

That doesn't mean they can't be baked, on there's no telling which tapes they are, but quite a but at least some of these need restoration.

Yeah, Prince kept everything, but other reports say that the tapes are in disarray.

I'm not sure what to believe, but I get the impression that once Susan Rogers lleft, Prince kind of let her cataloging system fall by the wayside, at least to a degree.

But hey, if they can restore Elvis tapes and make them sound golden, I'm sure they can do Prince's, too. :)

daveidmarx, Jayseph and bcaulf like this.
  22. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

englishbob, JasonA, mestreech and 2 others like this.
  23. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

DeeThomaz likes this.
  24. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Very excited.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. BlueGangsta

The answer is literally a few scrolls up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.