New Prog Rock Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Reb, May 7, 2017.

1. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

Johnny Reb likes this.
  2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

3. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I don't know if he plays live somewhere locally, but he is involved in an excellent "studio only" project (duo) called Napier's Bones, together with Nathan Jon Tillett from Devon.

GordonNapier and carlwm like this.
  4. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

This. The vinyl is deliciously crankable too.

5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

6. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

+
    Thanks for this.

First impressions suggest that I'm going to really like this band. Great name too!

GordonNapier likes this.
  7. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm a big fan myself, and as Napier's Bones is my favourite "retro-prog" act as well, I did do an interview with Gordon and Nathan here

GordonNapier and carlwm like this.
  8. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Excellent article.

It's mind boggling to think that they've never actually met.

GordonNapier and Svetonio like this.
  9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Exactly. Something pretty unbelievable back in the day, isn't? Though, Napier's Bones really make music as a band in the '70s, and yet in their own style & without a ripp-off.

GordonNapier likes this.
  10. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

11. GordonNapier

GordonNapier Well-Known Member

Many thanks Svetonio for your continued support and encouragement. I'm quite excited about the new 'House of Usher' album - and Nathan is on-board as the sinister doctor in the 3rd track - so there's a little bit of Napier's Bones between albums. The cover art is also courtesy of Nathan. Once I've had a short break then we'll start planning and writing the next Napier's Bones album - we already have some good ideas on the drawing board.

Svetonio likes this.
  12. GordonNapier

Hi Carl - glad you like the band name! We had quite a few email brainstorming sessions before we settled on Napier's Bones. We have 4 albums on Bandcamp as well as a Facebook band page with background/recording diary/video clips etc - it's a little quiet at the moment because I've been grinding away at The Fall of the House of Usher but we'll get things rolling again for Napier's V in late October. I'm a recording-only musician nowadays in terms of my prog-rock material but I've played a few gigs as sideman on bass or guitar - not in the Bradford area though. I could go down the looper/Frippertronics route as a one-man-band but that would be quite different music to either Napier's Bones or House of Usher. I released a short set of mostly looper based music earlier in the year but didn't follow through with the gigs.

Yes it's odd to think that Napier's Bones still haven't met in real life but there are more and more examples of this kind of remote recording collaboration. Emails and video calls certainly help to cut down the distance.
    Thanks for the interest - dive in to the music and if you like it then drop us a line

carlwm and Svetonio like this.
  13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

god of death, by officer jenny (prog-folk, full-length, physical CD available, released August 29, 2017, Provo, Utah)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Child of the Crows

Moth likes this.
  14. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

15. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

nitsuj likes this.
  16. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm currently away from home with nothing but a tinny net book for company

18. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm away from home at the moment with nothing but a tinny net book to listen on but I'm looking forward to giving the music a serious listen when I get home next week. Plenty to get my teeth into! Also keen to hear the loop stuff.

Out of curiosity, do you sell CD copies or are you digital only?

GordonNapier likes this.
  19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Prospice, by Falloch (progressive rock, female-fronted, full-length, released July 31, 2017, Glasgow, UK)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Pluto Conjunct Neptune

20. GordonNapier

It's all digital downloads through Bandcamp with both Napier's Bones & my own music - it's a decent platform for us & lets you free-stream 3x.
    We've canvassed re: CDs and the numbers aren't really there for us.
    We include scaled jewel case inlays as pdf files to print at home and quite a few people have sent us photos of their DIY discs, so it provides a 'physical route' without incurring P&P charges or involving third party duplication companies.
    The looping material is on my EP 'Darkness of Error' - released earlier this year as 'name your price' without a fixed minimum.... which makes it potentially free but gives the option of a busker's hat contribution to keep things ticking over. There's also an acoustic-ambient leaning set 'Out of Doors' which uses the same pricing model.... solo live sets for gigs which never materialised

carlwm likes this.
  21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Fab - I shall dip my toes into the brave new world of downloading! (Luddite? Me??). Good to know I'll be able to print inlays.

Always happy to pay for music so I'll be happy to drop a contribution into the hat for things.

Looking forward to giving it all a proper listen.

22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

23. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

25. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Odeon, by Odeon (progressive rock, 5-track debut EP, released September 9, 2017, Lisbon, Portugal)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Quarta Perfeita

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017