New Ray Davies Album 'Americana' Out April 21 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Jan 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

KaptKopter and Mazzy like this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

George C., john hp, Tord and 2 others like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

^^^Some parts remind me of other things that Ray has done before (maybe something on the Phobia album?).

However, I prefer the other previewed song "Poetry" so far.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's wonderful to see one of rock and pop music's best ever songwriters still going strong after all the grim news in 2016. I really hope this is a good one. The sleeve is absolutely dismal though!

It's also great to have Dave Davies back and doing well after all his health troubles.

God Save The Kinks! I absolutely love that band.

john hp, Tord, KaptKopter and 5 others like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

The sleeve reminds me of :

[​IMG] ;)

6. Arnold Grove

^^^I guess YELLOW is an "in" color for marketing things right now.

Beaneydave and CheshireCat like this.
  7. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I'm in for this one. His last two records were great. He's proven so far that he's still got it.

@Dave Hoos you in, too, mate?

8. CheshireCat

As yet, I'm not overly excited about these two tracks so far. Certainly not as good as the best tracks on WORKING MAN'S CAFE. I also think, sadly, that age is showing in the vocal department. Nevertheless, I'm there, on release day for it. Ray's never let me down with his music before, and I'm sure he won't with this one!

It's also perhaps worth mentioning that ROCK 'N' ROLL COWBOYS is being made available on 7" single in the UK, exclusively at HMV.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

hey guys. right now dave davies 2 newest releases ripping up time and ripping up new york, are just $5 on amazon brand new. they are add on items though but what a deal

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I enjoyed the book. The part about his residence in New Orleans was particularly interesting.

malco49, CheshireCat and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Great book, I liked it more then x-ray. The last album was very much tied into that book with songs about people he met in the hospital in New Orleans etc. His last album was great, I really hope this one is as good.

12. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I like Rock N Roll Cowboys better than Poetry, but I love both. Great stuff, can't wait..

Elliottmarx and CheshireCat like this.
  13. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Absolutely, Jake. Although we'll probably get it a bit later down here than you.

Then again, maybe I'll get the download?

14. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

Interview with Sir Ray (knighted today)
    There is a clip of a song and what looks like a video from the new album.

PaulJay, Ken.e., CheshireCat and 4 others like this.
  15. Ken.e.

Speaking of sales bin. I was down in Buffalo and went to the Record Theatre, flipping through some vinyl I saw a Dave Davies LP for sale called I Will Be Me. It was 20% off the regular price so I picked it. I'll give it a spin soon.

CheshireCat and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Jack

Jack Senior Member

He's starting to move verrrry slowly. I hope he's up for some dates in the USA. It's been a while.

17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Jayhawks connection was an interesting idea. They are quite capable of writing some
    pretty good 'hooks' of their own ("Tailspin" comes to mind).

jammincrowe and CheshireCat like this.
  18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I never truly felt sorry for someone's celebrity until I read Ray Davies' own account of his experience in the hospital right after the shooting. He was being asked for autographs by staff. Absolutely pathetic.

19. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

As another poster already noted,the song "Poetry" owes more than a nod to steve Harley and cockney rebel. I saw the two bands together on tour in the late 70's in a gig outside of Philadelphia. I guess ole sir ray remembered it too.
    I just got finished reading "Americana" and found it rewarding as a lifelong fan of the Kinks,at least through the RCA years. As often as I try the Arista albums just don't seem to do it for me,not to mentioned the ones post arista.
    I did revisit ray's two solo records "other people's lives" and "working man cafe" and liked them more than I remembered.i am 90% certain I will buy "Americana" when it is released.

20. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

21. Ken.e.

I really like the Arista albums. A very crtically underrated part of their career in my opinion. Misfits and Low Budget are as good as anything the Kinks did. Some of the hits they had in that Arista years are fantastic as well. The Greatest Hits package Come Dancing is a double album that shows just how strong the songs from that period were.
    I pulled the trigger on the new album in 5 seconds after the brilliant Working Man's Cafe. I played that album over and over then came back to it after reading Americana.

22. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i too pre ordered Americana just this week! reading the book did in fact cause me to revisit ray's last two solo records.and they were great much better than i remembered.
    for whatever reason i just don't dig the arista stuff.maybe it is the production i just don't know.maybe i will try to listen to "Come Dancing" comp and see if the considered better tunes are.anyhow. looking forward to the new ray solo record!

Ken.e. likes this.
  23. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

In anticipation of Ray's new record I'm listening to Workingman's Cafe at the moment .

Boy, this record hasn't lost any luster to my ears. A great album from one of my favorites .
    This is one of those albums where after I play it, I'll just play it again. :D

24. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I reckon it's one of the best albums of his entire career! Such a pity that it was almost completely ignored at the time.

25. CheshireCat

I fully agree! A fantastic album.

Ken.e. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.