New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I am as frustrated as you are, but I've no control over those realities I'm afraid. Did you try Diverse Vinyl in the UK?

2. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

I can only find the Sony/BMG Wonderland at the Diverse Vinyl site.

Ordering from the US is so expensive, maybe Mr Trump can fix that :)

izgoblin likes this.
  3. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Click HERE for the details on my upcoming Flying Burrito Bros. "Gilded Palace of Sin" release.

4. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Super excited for this release, not an easy title to find second hand in top condition for reasonable price. Thank Shane!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    IR Shane likes this.
  5. Very much looking forward to this one Shane!

IR Shane likes this.
  6. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

In my humble opinion this ties Look Sharp for the vastest improvement over the original LP. I think fans of this record will freak out when they hear this!

7. RobCos02330

RobCos02330 Forum Resident

FANTASTIC!!!

IR Shane likes this.
  8. I have an original "Gilded" in really good shape but I was never astounded by the sound quality. The content, on the other hand, is classic. I am looking forward to this if you say we will freak out! Hoping you got the same vocal details on it that you got on the Stealer's releases. "Late Again" vocals give me chills... (Just thinking out loud here) Keep up the awesome work though, I am excited for stuff you have in the hopper. I have to admit that I have still not picked up Big Audio or the Erasure release, unfortunately. I love trying new albums but after some samples of these I just don't know how much the content speaks to me - in other words, if I buy it, will I ever play it again? I'm a sucker for classic rock I guess, haha.

Doctorwu and IR Shane like this.
  9. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

You know whether you're an Erasure fan or not, but give Big Audio Dynamite a try. The tapes were in great shape, and the music is just outstanding. This really showed the way to what the Dust Brothers did with The Beastie Boys, Beck and others. Great album!

jimhb and No Static like this.
  10. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Not only isn't it easy to find in good shape, but I've never heard a version of this album that didn't sound pretty bad...a classic case of good music, poor sonics. Really looking forward to this version!

Ryan_Pretzel and IR Shane like this.
  11. Strangely enough I have one of the Yazoo albums that I really dig... the one with "Only You", which is one of my all time favorite pop songs. And I totally can see the influence from the BAD... I will give it another chance!

IR Shane likes this.
  12. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

The original is so bright it peels the paint off the walls! And they got wonderful bass on the tapes, but I think back in the day the way they'd push it for radio play was cutting the bass and pushing the midrange and treble. Kevin's cut is just terrific. Like Look Sharp no one will ever confuse this with Kind of Blue sonically, but this is the best it has ever sounded, or will ever sound!

13. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I swear, Andy Bell sounds just like Alison Moyet to me. You might like Wonderland more than you think. I wish I'd have put up a clip to "My Heart, So Blue." Very much on the vein of what you like about Only You.

Preston, c-eling and davidkeith like this.
  14. Checking it now... Ok, this is a good jam. Maybe you sold me on this one, :)!

lpfreak1170 and IR Shane like this.
  15. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

The best version I have heard is the Edsel reissue back in the 80s which I think was a Porky prime cut. Even that doesn't sound quite right to my ears though. I am very happy you are issuing this title Shane. If it's up to the standard of your Stealers Wheel, Joe Jackson and BAD titles we are in for a teat.

IR Shane likes this.
  16. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Wow!, how awesome!

IR Shane likes this.
  17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

So glad to see this happening. There is a 2011 reissue of this title from 4 Men With Beards, avoid them like the plague!

Do these reissue licence deals last for time or a specific number of copies? I'm looking for some hope that other titles 4MWB has done
    an injustice to will be open for someone else to do them properly!

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  18. Doctorwu

Doctorwu Senior Member

Shane, I think European Centric bands (Like Erasure are) will be a tougher sale for the US market, your reissues are of a remarkable high standards but they are extremely expensive to import (out of no fault of yours of course) and in the case of Erasure appeal to a more selective european customer base, just being honest.

IR Shane likes this.
  19. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Yes it's so disappointing that all those reissues on labels like msfl, analogue production and your label are so expensive in Europe...In a time when you can find a label like rhino issuing in the last ten years a lot of fantastic reissues cut AAA by Bellman, Gray or Grundman that are or were to be bought for 15 or 20 euros, it's difficult to understand ...Why is it that kevin gray can cut the first 4 Kinks lps AAA and those lps can be imported from the US via us seller on amazon for 15 or 20 euros in Europe and others like yours can not...I can see pretty easily that analogue production, mofi and your label put out quality reissues that are a better product in general presentation (best pressing plant, fantastic jacket, best tapes available, best mastering chain...) than some rhino where the jacket can sometime be poor scans of the originals but 60 or 70 euros for a 33 RPM quality reissue is a lot of money...Why does nobody take note that for 100 buyers that will buy a 65 euros record, perhaps there would be 1000 buyer that would buy it if it was priced at 30 euros ? My goal here is absolutely not to "attack" your business model, I am perfectly happy that the gilded palace of sin has a quality reissue and it's a great choice of yours but it's difficult to accept that sometime a great reissue is priced 15 euros and sometime another great reissue but on a more prestigious label is priced at 65 euros...Kevin Gray has cut for rhino a marvelous reissue of joni Mitchell Hejira that sells for 14,50 euros, the same with Van Morrisson lp's ...And if those reissues were done by MSFL or Analogue production instead of rhino, the price would have been 50 euros and not 15 euros...Why ? I also know that I can do like someone above suggested : if I can buy a reissue that costs 25 euros, it's easy not to eat at the office two time a week and with that money you can buy the reissue you want on a great label...

supermd, Mr Olsen and IR Shane like this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Sucks, PIAS has the rights and are restricting YT up's only to US for Erasure. I wanted to showcase your Wonderland cut.
    If you have any test pressings left over for The Circus, i'd be one of the grateful Shane :angel:

IR Shane likes this.
  21. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

As for the BAD title, I'm a living testimony. Buy it. You'll like it.

Preston, Ryan_Pretzel and IR Shane like this.
  22. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

All over this! My WLP needs a sibling.

IR Shane likes this.
  23. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Rhino is the catalog division of Warner Music Group, a multinational corporation with elaborate international distribution networks. I'm guessing it can leverage that market access in ways that an independent boutique reissue label simply can't.

24. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I have the utmost respect for Mr Peckham and own more than a few Porky/Pecko and Porky Prime cuts! But I am supremely confident that Kevin has cut the definitive release on the IR reissue!

Ryan_Pretzel, Doctorwu and Jellis77 like this.
  25. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I want to make sure people here understand something with 100% clarity: my pricing is not a "business model" I've decided on myself. It's a direct reflection of how much it costs me to license as a third party and do 180G LPs and have Stoughton do premium jackets, and paying for top-flight all-analog mastering. In other words, I am not pricing these at $35 US just because I can, I'm doing it because I have to based on the pricing I get. As it stands, I make far less money on these LPs than my retailers do, and the first 1,000 are especially rough- I absorb all the costs of restoring the art work, mastering, plating and processing, TPs and freight. All in, the first 1,000 single 33s cost me $15k-$20k- I have to pre-pay and that includes nothing for marketing or any ancillary costs like my travel to be at the mastering sessions. And the money doesn't fly right back in, it rolls in over time even when sales are brisk. I have no partners, all the capital is mine. By the time these LPs get overseas they've been sold here by one of my retailers, and then they get marked up by the resellers over there and I'm sure they're getting smacked on VAT. As someone mentioned above, multi-national record companies aren't marking up the royalties, and can press records and print jackets overseas. They can batch jackets and LPs into huge orders and I'm sure they get way better pricing as a result. I understand why this might seem mysterious, but it's also not overly complicated. If companies are selling well-made records for less it's because it cost them less. It follows that me, AP, Mo-Fi and others are all priced nearly the same. Pricing is based directly on our costs.

Dai, LoveandTheft, sjaca and 16 others like this.