New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Sweeeeet. I passed on the first one (have a minty OG), but need me a nice Burrito Deluxe.

May need to Holla @NapalmBrain to bring his IR cut of Sin over...shootout the OG ;)

About to get a pair of DynAudio towers, gonna put some stuff through its paces :D

2. telepicker97

Please.

Heck, I'd do my own band's album like that.

IR Shane likes this.
  3. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

4. telepicker97

Andy Sturmer and Roger Manning Jr's old band?

perfect psychedelic power pop/rock with a slightly southern twist?

Yes, please...

lpfreak1170 and googlymoogly like this.
  5. Omnivore did some decent reissues for their albums a few years back... haven’t listened to them in a while but I recall them sounding above average. Probably not AAA though.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. I am totally down for this idea. Recently I have been trying to restrict my purchases to only AAA releases. Not trying to get into analog vs digital debate (I’ve got many digitally sourced LPs that sound awesome!), but, if I am spending and investing in a product (presumably recording and mixed analog), then why am I spending money on a digital file pressed on vinyl? Just seems pretty strange if you think about it. Certainly there are exceptions (if the record was digitally recorded, mixed digitally, the list goes on...) but if an album was recorded and mixed in the analog domain and you are buying an “analog” version of the album - should it not be AAA?

longdist01, IR Shane, Subvet and 2 others like this.
  7. googlymoogly

I knew about those, but they're getting scarcer all the time. They'd be prime candidates for this kind of AAA treatment, it seems to me, and it also seems the band has a large-enough following to make it a profitable venture.

Ryan_Pretzel likes this.
  8. Definitely!

googlymoogly likes this.
  9. googlymoogly

I'm not sure I'm getting the quote correct, but Art Dudley once wrote something along the lines that a playback system intended for analog "use" should ideally remain all-analog in origin and mastering (words to that effect, IIRC).

fretlessrich and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  10. I suppose it is a psychological thing for me... or something. If I have decided to pursue a hobby where analog is the “name of the game” then should I not also be pursuing the most pure form of the format? Sometimes I think about it like art. If you are dedicated to the format - and have to resources to collect and purchase the best available option - why would you buy a scanned copy or a print of a work of art that could be purchased as an original? (Of course money, accessibility, etc. are all also factors. We are not going to be able to buy the Mona Lisa, hahaha.)

fretlessrich and googlymoogly like this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Some of Shudder's stuff is plenty edgy - in that it's weird. I have pretty much their entire catalog on CD, but no vinyl. Same with Fugazi. Dischord did reissue some of the earlier Shudder stuff on vinyl somewhat recently IIRC. Probably pressed @ United unfortunately. No idea how well it is selling. My favorite STT albums are Get Your Goat and Pony Express Record.

12. fretlessrich

fretlessrich Forum Resident

I agree and think the analogy to scanned prints is a good one.

13. I guess I should add... we are not able to actually access the original tapes either but we can get as close as possible.

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The same reason you would re-issue any old recording:

1. You feel you can improve upon the fidelity of other pressings of the same material.
    2. The material is either out of print or hard to find (in good shape in the case of vinyl).

15. fretlessrich

Agreed - just meant fugazi is more punk rock than shudder. To me, there's a wider audience of audiophiles for shudder. But what do I know. I think both of those bands are awesome. (Fwiw, the op dischords pressed in France sound great and are aaa I understand).

IR Shane likes this.
  16. fretlessrich

Yes, and the tapes are like the original etching. You can't buy that either. Once it's been digitized it can be indefinitely reproduced in various media. Part of the value of all analog is the inherent limitation on reproducing it. (It sounds good/looks good too).

IR Shane and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  17. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

YES!

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

@IR Shane

Those additional Joe Jackson releases can't come soon enough! :)

19. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

No offense to Art or anyone else here, but I call ******** on this. If this were my ethos I'd not have done Joe Jackson Summer in the City or the Everclears. They sound amazing, and the best way to experience them is on vinyl, not digital files or CDs. By far. Especially where your only other choice is compressed 16-bit CDs. Is AAA ideal? Yes. But if the master source is DAT tape, like SITC, that's not the choice in front of you. And the improvements we made going to the 24-bit masters- something like 256 times the range of the 16-bit files- and doing a real audiophile mastering were HUGE. I've also got another project coming up where the original format was DAT, but this made before the compression wars, and the DATs sound amazing. We're going to get the best sound ever from this title, and honestly, I'd not be looking for technicalities to sit titles like that out. Great sounding LPs of great-sounding records are what it's about, not origins.

ispace, izgoblin, Dmann201 and 18 others like this.
  20. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I agree, and there's a market for people who want the original repertoire done best it can be vs extras.

scotth, jhm and longdist01 like this.
  21. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I am not bragging- that will be a short "shootout."

lpfreak1170 and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  22. telepicker97

I know.

I heard the IR cut at casa @NapalmBrain, and my jaw dropped.

He can attest, I'm not one to be envious about records, ever...but I got a little green when I heard it.

Then I was kicking myself for not ordering one.

So, if you do a $25 run of those on std weight, I'm in. Or an SACD. (Or both...)

NapalmBrain and IR Shane like this.
  23. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

The SACD is already out brother.

24. telepicker97

ON IT.

IR Shane likes this.
  25. telepicker97

So, we will do the OG/IR LP/IR SACD "Ultimate Gilded Shootout!" :D

We get wild in the middle of MO on a Sunday night, I tells ya...

canada_toque and IR Shane like this.