New record store opening in Toronto...

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by eddiel, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member Thread Starter

...and I should add one is closing.

On March 1st 11:30am a new store will open in Toronto at Queen & John St in the Blackmarket underground shopping location. The store, no name yet, will be taking over the Penguin Music Stall.

It'll have used lps and cds as well as some select new lp titles. It's being run by Lincoln, who used to work with Vortex Records (will still deal with their new lp buying I believe). It's all done with the blessing of Vortex as well.

He's aiming to keep the spirit of Vortex alive so expect decent prices, etc. It's a small location so he'll be selective in terms of what he carries which is understandable.

I have no affiliation. I'm just passing this along as I've dealt with Lincoln via Vortex many times. I've seen some of the records he'll be carrying when he ran a stall once at a record fair. Should be good.

Eddie

2. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

Lincoln has been posting what will be available tomorrow on Instagram with user 'goodarrivals'.

Well over 600 titles thus far.

And the store is called 'Good Music'.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
    eddiel likes this.
  3. eddiel

He just sent an update via email as well.

Anyone who might be going down for cds should wait. He said he hasn't had a chance to get those sorted out yet.

His instragram feed has some interesting titles. I'll be going down to lend support and check things out. Not really in a buying mood budget wise but I bet there will be something there that makes me pull out the wallet

Oh yeah...he's not 100% his debit/credit card machine will be working (waiting for telephone company to sort out the connection) so bring cash if you go down this weekend.

Repeter13 likes this.
  4. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

I'm heading down as well for the opening - a couple of titles have caught my eye.

Looks like he's built up a good bit of buzz - I really like Vortex - but it's location is not ideal for me. Glad that Lincoln will have a similar setup here so I can check in more regularly.

5. eddiel

Yeah I feel the same way. I wish I lived closer to Vortex as it is one of my favourites in the city. Lincoln had a table at a record fair about a year or so back. He had a lot of great stuff and I had to force myself to stop buying from him as I was running out of money. By the looks of it he'll have similar stuff at the store. I expect it'll be busy.

6. Repeter13

Repeter13 Forum Resident

It was busy today at noon whe I got there - his selection reminded me of the stuff he'd have at record shows - the place was pretty picked over by 1:30 when I left.

Apparently he's still working at Vortex three days a week.

7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Adam9 likes this.
  8. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

This is very sad news. I always loved that store growing up in Toronto.

9. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I remember Bert and Vortex back in the early 80s> good times.

sean

eddiel likes this.
  10. Wow...End of an era. I supported myself selling vinyl at Vortex in the 90's!

11. eddiel

I went to Vortex last night after work. They still a lot of stuff left but it seems to be emptying quickly. I was hoping some of the better boxsets would still be there but those are mostly gone now.

No Blurays left at all.

Definitely worth a trip this side of X-mass.

12. charleezechua

charleezechua New Member

Good to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.