New Red Hot Chili Peppers album 'The Getaway' coming June 17

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JasonA, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well, that's kind of a given, isn't it? (Aside from the b-sides project, their last album is the ONLY album they've done since Stadium Arcadium).

JLGB likes this.
  2. Almost all of their hits have very memorable melodies. That's one of their strengths, even though Kiedis writes those melodies within a pretty tight range of his singable notes.

3. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

There's no secret. Melody is just one part of a song and different people will attach different levels on importance to it.

To me their melodies have sounded increasingly generic and repetitive since BSSM.

I just don't think melody is their strong point. To me they worked much better when they didn't bother trying with vocal melodies and just stuck to funk rhythms and rapping. Certainly doesn't help that Keidis is just a cringe-worthy singer in my honest opinion - but sounded great aggressively rapping through Suck My Kiss or Give It Away.

4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Interesting. I always thought they had great melodies. Different strokes...

5. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

Different strokes indeed. I dunno, take a song like Scar Tissue. Now listen to the vocal track isolated - verse has essentially one note, chorus has two notes with some back ups. Sure the song has more stuff going on - interesting instrumentation and such, a nice slide guitar solo. But for me the singing and lack of vocal melodic creativity greatly decreases the impact the song could have had.

Of course a song like Give It Away completely lacks a melody by design - and for me as a band they work better that way.

6. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Took a few listens and now I'm hooked in, looking forward to this disc. Summer and Chili are a fine mix! Klinghoffer is a fine player (give him a break) though I miss Frusciante's vocals.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  7. NearysEpiphany

NearysEpiphany Forum Resident

I haven't heard of the "B-sides project", what is it?

8. jeffrey walsh

9. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

10. jeffrey walsh

Yeah, got that on vinyl.

11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

You have a good point but Scar Tissue stuck with a lot of people. It's actually the track that brought me into the band. I know it's nothing amazing but it had a pure simplicity about it. At the time, I mainly listened to hip-hop. I do think Anthony as a singer and songwriter is limited. He still makes it work (sometimes) but I have increasing became bored with some of the output. The last album had some interesting parts but I feel he was the weak link and that is odd because he is a strong part of the Chili Peppers, well not odd and likely the reason that album is really MOR for me. I do like some of the melodies and songwriting on By the Way (Dosed/Universally Speaking/Don't Forget Me/Tear/I Could Die for You/Venice Queen/Body of Water).

In a way, I wish they would approach the music with more intensity and less melody these days. I'm interested to hear the rest of the album.

vinylphile likes this.
  12. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I got it as well, noticed it's going north of $100 online, that's nuts.

13. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

One of the most memorable melodies from the 90s (and there was a lot of good music in the 90s)...

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  14. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

And one of the more misunderstood songs in the 90s. So many soccer Moms would turn this one up in their cars yet have no idea how dark the subject is. It's kinda like when Pumped Up Kicks came out a few years ago by Foster The People...so many people sang along to the chorus without any idea why the kids needed their 'pumped up kicks' to run.

JasonA likes this.
  15. DreadPirateWendi

DreadPirateWendi Well-Known Member

This thread is fascinating. Seems like a lot of the folks with harsher opinions really haven't spent much time with this band and the true breadth of their output since Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

Starting with BSSM, every album has nearly an additional album's worth of music in the form of b-sides (6-20 extra tracks), and most of those tracks are just as strong, if not stronger than, the tracks that ended up on the albums. The band is a democracy and usually votes on which tracks ultimately make up the album and which become b-sides, so invariably some gold gets left off due to personal preference within the band. Here's a handy list of each album's b-sides and extras - seek these songs out and listen. Heaps of terrific music. Let's Make Evil, Stretch, How Strong, Fat Dance, Over Funk, Quixoticelixer, Out Of Range, Rivers Of Avalon, Bicycle Song, Eskimo.. to name just a few!

Stadium Arcadium was originally meant to include all 37 tracks that they recorded and be released in three parts, but they didn't want to be releasing already completed music a year and a half later when they'd likely be into recording new music for the next album... so nine strong tracks were left as b-sides. Funny Face and I'll Be Your Domino are two of my favourite Chili Peppers tracks!

For I'm With You they recorded over 30 tracks, only releasing 14 of those tracks on the album. A year later they spread the remaining 17 tracks across eight 7" vinyl singles and released them roughly once a month, and then a bit sporadically, over the following year. Then they compiled them all on one subsequent 2xLP, aptly titled I'm Beside You. Personally, though most of it was all recorded at the same time, I consider this another album, and I actually think I prefer it to I'm With You. For any of you who weren't in love with I'm With You, do yourself a favour and spend some time with I'm Beside You. Josh definitely shows off more of his very capable guitar and song-writing chops, and there's a bit more grit/edge and some great stuff unlike anything else they've done. I've always been a big fan of One Hot Minute, and some of these tracks remind me of that era as well. Great stuff!

On the first pass I was 60/40, but after a few more spins I'm pretty stoked about this new single and what's to come. These guys aren't getting any younger, but they keep managing to reinvent themselves ever so slightly with each new batch of tunes. It's great to hear them still trying new things, experimenting with new sounds and instruments (loving the writing on piano that Flea and Josh are doing), and not being afraid to expand on their signature sound, while still managing to maintain that sound and energy underneath it all.

I'm no different than the rest, I love everything Frusciante brought to this band, he's a goddamn genius, but his era with the Chili Peppers is over. John's on a WAY different path now and he has no interest in playing with RHCP anymore. It's not like they kicked him out. He left. Read some interviews with John, check out the bizarre stuff he's creating now, and accept that he's not coming back, rather than bashing Josh and the Chili Peppers for soldiering on without him. I'd rather have them playing, creating and growing without him than not at all. Bring on the new album!

16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Since we are discussing Chili Peppers, I didn't know this existed for my listening pleasure. I think it's the Californication demo recorded at Daniel Lanois' house, called The Teatro Sessions.

17. DreadPirateWendi

DreadPirateWendi Well-Known Member

Here's the largest treasure trove of glorious studio nuggets I know of for anyone who's interested: RHCP Sessions »

Blaine Jacobs likes this.
  18. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

19. MikeVielhaber

I'm Beside You has a wide variation of quality. They could probably pare it down to a pretty good album. I don't think the best of them beat the best of I'm With You and I don't think there are any with hit potential but definitely some of them would have made the album stronger. I don't think either I'm With You or I'm Beside You made a great album on par with the Frusciante albums, but I'm hoping they can improve on that for this one. They now have had more time to establish chemistry with Josh so hopefully that helps.

20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Sure Anthony is limited.

But his voice/style is also 100% distinctive and immediately recognizable. You put any other singer with the Chilli Peppers and it won't sound right.

Personally, id take limited/distinctive over multi-octave/generic any day...

mark renard, MikeVielhaber and JLGB like this.
  21. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I must have dreamt Frusciante was back with them for new album.

22. MikeVielhaber

Definitely a dream

JLGB likes this.
  23. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident Thread Starter

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  24. Clevemojo

Clevemojo Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing this link!

DreadPirateWendi likes this.
  25. Boomy