New Rega Brio for 2017

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mintsauce, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I'd gravitate towards the NAD :)

2. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Also check out the Yamaha AS701. More power, cheaper, and digital inputs for a Chromecast. LS50 benefits from power.

NOS300B likes this.
  3. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

I auditioned the 338 at a NAD dealer, although they didn't stock Rega, so I couldn't do a head to head. I listened to the NAD gear through a pair of smallish PSB speakers - can't remember the model number.

The 338 sounded significantly better than the 3020. Bigger soundstage, more 3 dimensional - I felt like I could place the instruments better, or at least they weren't as muddled together.

The 368 sounded slightly better again, but the difference wasn't anywhere near as significant as going from the 3020 to the 338.

I couldn't determine any difference between casting FLACs from my home server and the CDs that we were using in the demo room, however this was a tougher ask as I couldn't use the same song - mine and the dealer's tastes appear to differ significantly. The casting process was smooth - identical to using my chromecast audio at home.

(For the record, the CD was some live version of Hotel California and my FLAC was Farewell Transmission from Magnolia Electric Co.)

Ultimately I went for the Brio not something much on the basis of sound quality of the NAD, but features.

I don't need casting (I have a Chromecast Audio), and don't often listen to digital sources on my lounge room setup. I felt that the Brio phono stage offers an upgrade over my current one. And ultimately a (possibly irrational) feeling that with the Brio the money was being spent on the components I need (phono stage and amplification) rather than being spread across DAC, Bluetooth, casting etc.

I've only gotten back into vinyl in the last 6 months or so but had I been shopping before that when the majority of my listening was FLACs cast from my home server, I wouldn't have hesitated to pick up the 338 or 368.

I hope that helps. I don't have much experience in translating gear auditions into words, and I couldn't do a head to head between the NAD and Rega gear.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    BuckNaked and Jonathan Lindsay like this.
  4. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

The inbuilt Chromecast is nice if you use that functionality a lot, although at the end of the day it only represents convenience (one less power cord) as quality would be identical using a Chromecast audio and the amp's DAC, if you get an amp that includes one.

In that regard I'd check out the Cambridge CXA-60 which fits into the range (although no integrated phono stage). I'm using a borrowed CXA-80 right now (waiting for my Brio to arrive). Compared to the NAD and Rega it strikes me as a little bright (although I have read that the 60 is better in this regard).

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Jonathan Lindsay likes this.
  5. marksas3

marksas3 Member

Hmm, Class D + Chromecast sounds like it could be very lively or bright sounding amp, but who knows maybe NAD got it right. I think a 'Chromescast' on it's own does not sound that great, but I understand this is the Chromecast tech built into the amp rather than the little stand alone unit (i think). My only gripes are that if they are going to have a built in DAC with digital inputs, why leave out USB and ethernet? Ethernet I think would be necessary if the wireless in one's home is not optimal and to eliminate dropouts, and for USB there has been drastic changes and improvements in it's implementation recently and new devices that are yielding superior sound quality.

You are right about the additional cost however if you need to buy other digital devices to go with an amp like the Rega, but some like myself might already have that gear in place. For instance I currently own an Arcam irDAC and a Sonore MicroRendu (being fed over the network from a Mac Mini) that sounds superior to any digital based system i've ever had. Then again it's by far the most expensive, especially when you factor in the additional upgrades and tweaks like the LPS-1 power supply for the MicroRendu, upgraded USB cable, and network isolation devices for the wired LAN connection.

6. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

I would indeed imagine that it is the protocol only rather than the Chromecast device itself being integrated... a better title for that article would have been NAD's new C338 stereo amplifier has Chromecast functionality built in"

7. james

james Summon The Queen

(i've said it a few times on this site, but) I ran the LS50's with a Rega Brio-R (the last model), a Yamaha A-S2000 and a Line Magentic 518ia.

Out of the three, the Yamaha would be the keeper amp for that pairing, in my opinion. The Brio-R would be my last choice. It's an amp that I liked a lot, but I think the LS50's come into their own with more power.

8. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

I totally concur about the -R. The new Brio is quite a bit gutsier than the old.
    I'm currently driving ELACs UB5 3 way monitors rated at 85db efficiency and 4 ohms nominal impedance, 3.4 ohms minimum. It drives them with aplomb
    VERY impressed by the improvements done to this amplifier, at no price increase.
    I remember needing about 100WPC of solid state power to drive the LS50 to satisfactory levels, to get big sound out the box and get the sense that the speaker is getting the power and control needed. That's what turned me off about them unfortunately.

9. live evil

live evil Senior Member

Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not the new Rega Brio would be a noticeable upgrade over a Marantz PM8004.

I listen to CDs only, and I'm running a pair of Wharfedale Jade 3 speakers with a sub.

Thanks.

10. AmericanHIFI

I don't think it would be an upgrade on your speakers. Being ultra-detailed, the Marantz should be a better match.

11. live evil

live evil Senior Member

Thanks.

12. bluesbreaker1962

bluesbreaker1962 Forum Resident

Sorry for the late reply - just opened this thread.

I have a new Brio in one system and Elex R in another. I really like the Brio hitched up to my Planar 3, but the Elex R is a far more powerful and weighty amp.

I spent a fair bit of time auditioning before I got the Elex R and for my taste it was far better than the sub £1000 Naim.

If it is for a smaller room and the headphone section is important to you, go for Brio. If you want a big weighty musical sound to fill a bigger room, try an Elex R.

AmericanHIFI and BuckNaked like this.
  13. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

I lack some of the fundamental vocabulary you all speak with so fluently. So pardoning my ignorance, what do you mean by "being ultra-detailed' and why would that make the Marantz a better match?
    generally speaking how big a room is too big for the Brio? What size room do you think would suit it well?

14. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

My Brio never goes past 11 o'clock on the volume dial and more usually sits at 10 to 1030 in a room that is about 15 feet wide by about 60 feet long.

The speakers (Elac B6) are placed 6 feet off one of the short sides.

15. Mateo Sanboval

Thanks, Mac! That's a decent sized room from my perspective. How do you like the Elac/Brio pairing? I'm looking into the B6s and the UB5 three ways. Curious if the 2017 Brio has enough oomph to really power them.

Maccaroni likes this.
  16. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

No problem at all with the B6s... Last night I spun Serge Gainsbourg's Historie du Melody Nelson and it was just perfect.

I love the oomph you get from a well hit kick drum too.

Mateo Sanboval likes this.
  17. Mateo Sanboval

What other speakers in the $250-750 range are people using successfully with the new Rega?

18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Before buying Rega RS3 I was using PSB Alpha B1 and thought they were very good.

19. AmericanHIFI

Any of the Wharfdale Diamond series (current and discontinued).
    DALI.

20. Mateo Sanboval

Those are new ones on me; I'll look into them. Thanks!

What do you think about the Wharfdale Denton 80th anniversary speakers? Also, you were using the Elac UB5s, correct? Still happy with that pairing?

21. AmericanHIFI

Yes, still using the Unify monitors, but in retrospect I feel that the amp barely has enough current to get them going well. It gets hot when asked to provide more volume, but drives bass quite reasonably. I suspect that it won't be good for the amplifier long term.
    I am not a fan of the Dentons. I feel they produce a different sound than the aforementioned. A couple of friends of mine have them.

22. Mateo Sanboval

Intersting on the UB5s. I wonder why they are hard for the Brio to drive. Could I press you further on what you mean by a different sound on the Wharfdale Dentons?

23. Mateo Sanboval

For anyone here, at the risk of asking an embarrassingly ignorant question, what am I looking for in the specs of speakers when I am trying to winnow down my options to pair with a 2017 Brio? More simply put, what are the "cheat sheet" numbers that I need to be aware of so that I can more quickly eliminate or include speakers from my to-try list?

24. AmericanHIFI

Because they're a 4 ohm impedance nominal and 3.4 minimum with an 85db efficiency, 3 way design. Probably a relatively significant crossover phase angle too.
    Not an easy load for an amplifier to punch through.

Yes, I felt the Dentons were rolled off at frequency extremes, classic British sound that I never cared for. I think certain sections of marketplace still desire such sound 'interpretation'.
    I like a neutral, natural, out of the way end -result, that is offered by many manufacturers nowadays and not hard or expensive to achieve given the level of driver engineering, materials, and execution at disposal globally.

25. AmericanHIFI

IMO, minimum (not nominal) impedance no lower than 4 ohms, efficiency of at least 87db to allow the little amp's output stage to do what is designed to to without being forced to run into higher distortion figures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.