New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Haven't watched that video in a long time, thank you! This tour had authenticity, I miss that.

I remember reading that RS article way back, was very excited about the prospect of a new album. Would love to hear studio versions of Each Small Candle and Flickering Flame although the versions we have are still good.

Big Pasi and Pipi3 like this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

My least favorite song as well. It's boring and the lyrics are a chore. I've gotten used to the rest of the album. The stand out sequence is the title track + Bird in a Gale.

mastaflatch, Pipi3 and zinan like this.
  3. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Interesting, the title track does not do it for me either. I don't find a lot happening on that title track, and the mix toward the end of the song needs to be revised as it is hard to understand Roger toward the ants part. Bird in a Gale is a weird "bird". That new album is a big question mark for me. :sigh:

4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The title track is a great groove and offers dynamic tension. At least he's trying something different and those 2 tracks stand out from the rest of the album.

5. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

Nice!

Roger Waters' Is This the Life We Really Want? | Album Review

Have to agree with the review. It's nice to hear a bit of edge from a Floyd member. And nice to get a review from a female viewpoint, not the usual old white guy.

gregorya, Stephen Gleadall and Zeki like this.
  6. Stephen Gleadall

Stephen Gleadall Forum Resident

Bloody marvellous review, and bang on!. Thanks for posting this.

7. Stephen Gleadall

Serious? Indeed I am.

Somewhere way back in this thread, PDK (I think) said how he was surprised at how good the vocals are, and that this is probably due (in part at least) to Nigel's involvement. I could not agree more.

I seem to recollect reading a DG interview a few years ago where he said "though Roger is not the best vocalist, I wish I could deliver some of the lines like he does". And that's the point really, by no means the world's best vocalist but the delivery and emotion expressed are second to none. I think it was the reviewer in the Observer who said that while his voice had roughened with time, it retains a vice-like grip.

No matter how good the singer, these songs would not have anywhere near the same impact if sung by someone else, because, the person delivering them (RW) is the person expressing their own feelings, fears and concerns - it's straight from the gut.

8. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

I would agree with you about Roger's vocals on The Final Cut and Pros and Cons on which his capabilities to sing and to deliver emotions were at the highest but since then the singing and the emotion went slowly downhill.

On the last albun, considering he was 73 when he recorded it, the vocals are okay but some of the songs really suffer from his singing being out of tune. On an absolute scale, I will rate the vocals on this album the worst of his music career.

9. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

Does Roger wear dentures?

"Picture prossstttthhetics in Afghanissshhhtttan"

Pipi3 likes this.
  10. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Really? Even worse than on KAOS or Amused To Death? Waters sounded like absolute sh-t on those ones, especially KAOS IMO...I was very surprised to hear how good he actually sounded on is this the life... He actually sounds like Roger Waters, and not some old man who could barely croak out a tune. He manages to sound younger than he did on Amused To Death. I would bet a lot of work went into doing the vocals on is this the life..., I bet a helluva lot of comping, editing, punching in etc went into getting decent vocals on the album, Godrich must have wore Waters ragged...

Shak Cohen, PDK and Stephen Gleadall like this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I couldn't disagree more. Gilmour singing Waters' lyrics are iconic and don't sound right when Roger sings them on his tours. In some cases he downright mangles them.

Big Pasi and Pipi3 like this.
  12. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Oh! And that assumes he is actually singing on the tour. I am pretty certain Time / Welcome to the Machine / Another Brick (part 3) were all lip synched when I saw him in Philly. Maybe some others as well, but those three were pretty darn obvious. No way he could hit the notes high enough. The difference is actually striking when he actually sings on Deja Vu, The Last Refugee,* Picture That and Smell the Roses (no lip synching there) as his voice hits the lower frequencies.

* I still can't f!@#*$g stand is "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh Rhappsssoooooddddyyyyyyyyyyy". Always make me cringe (sound of chalk on the blackboard) :mudscrying:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm still diggin' this one. Roger's best and most easily digestible solo album, IMO.

14. hometime

hometime Forum Resident

In my case, I always skip "Deja vu" and "Broken bones".
    Love the rest, especially the segue "Is this the life..."-"Bird in a gale"- "The most beautiful...".
    Ah, and I could do with the last three songs merged in a shorter one, as someone suggested before.

All in all, funny how varied our tastes are, sharing the same interest in the same artist.
    I had the chance of realise this last year, after Bowie´s passing (I´m a big fan), when devotees all around the world praised very different parts of his rich discography (and disregard the rest)

Nick Brook likes this.
  15. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

I like RW'Ss latest album , I wouldn't change a thing on it , content wise. My one criticism is the cd mastering , sounds dull and constricted. The vinyl sounds slightly more open though.

Carlox likes this.
  16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Interesting, Broken Bones is my favourite!

samskeyti likes this.
  17. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Have you heard the demo of 'Lost Boys Calling'?

18. Stephen Gleadall

Very interesting you should say that. When KAOS was released I remember listening for the first time and immediately thought: bloody hell, what's wrong with his voice?. This was especially shocking since it was only a couple of years or so after Pros and Cons on which he sounded great - to me. I even wondered if he'd maybe had some health issue. Then he appeared to be really struggling on AtD, though this was much less of a surprise being a further 5 years on. So, like you, I was pleasantly surprised by how great he sounds on ITTLWRW. Credit where it's due, well done Nige!

19. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Yes it was horrendous. The final product is great though.

Sytze, Billy Infinity, Carlox and 2 others like this.
  20. Stephen Gleadall

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

22. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Has Roger ever spoken about the degradation of his voice over this period? Pros > KAOS > ATD.

23. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

It's reported the following are lip synched (and I agree):

Welcome To The Machine
    Happiest Days/Brick 2/Brick 3 (same recording used for The Wall tour)
    Dogs
    Pigs
    Us and Them (same recording used for the Dark Side tour)

Surprisingly he sings Time.

24. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

Rog with a sore throat , singing along to a vocal backing track , he's barely audible , .

Shaddam IV likes this.
  25. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Re the above clip....is that audio what the audience was hearing or did the guy alter/push back the fake track/push up the "live" track for this video?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.