New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

The person doing the video mix stuffed up. The audience heard the pre-recorded vocals, just like every other audience during the Dark Side tour. That live stream is an embarrassment for Roger in regards to the songs he lip synchs. What a joke.

Wonder what the repercussions were for the person that did the mix...

rontoon likes this.
  2. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

This one is another embarrassment. You can hear him whispering. Check at ca. 4min15s :biglaugh:At around 4min20s, the singing starts again, and he's not in from of the microphone.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

You don't like his vocals so what's your issue now?

4. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

As far as I am concerned, no. I thought he was actually doing okay during his In the Flesh Tour 99/00. Heck early in his 2002 Tour, he was even singing the high bits of Every Strangers Eyes.

5. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

I actually really like Roger Waters at his prime, and I think Pros and Cons and ATD are superb albums that I always enjoyed listening to. The vocals on his last album, not so much. To his defense, he was 73 when he recorded ITTLWRW.

6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I don't recall any performance where he sang the penultimate verse of Every Strangers Eyes live.

Billy Infinity and PDK like this.
  7. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Do we have a recording of this?

Billy Infinity likes this.
  8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I thought the exact same thing the first time I heard KAOS, and the first time I heard Roger croak out the first line of "What God Wants" on ATD I was like "Wow...he sounds like he's ninety years old or something."
    My guess it would be a combination of the usual- too much talking and too much smoking and the amount of screaming Waters did on the records/shows in those days probably didn't help much either.

9. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

I think we can all admit, we'd rather hear Roger lip synch, than hear this:

Perhaps the worst Floyd-related song of all time.

RockNRod likes this.
  10. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I caught Roger on a "Democracy now" broadcast, was inspired by his message and went on Amazon and bought the album.
    Good warm sounding album, over compressed or not. Roger tips the hat to his Floyd past while addressing the issues of today. The album communicates love in a way that maybe Roger has struggled with in his interpersonal relationships.
    Roger has always been limited as a singer, but the passion and performance is well captured here.
    Really love this album.......

tedhead, wayne66, RockNRod and 5 others like this.
  11. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Oh no! You just pressed the "Start another Waters VS Gilmour discussion"- button.

I'm pressing the "Reset thread back on topic" button.

gregorya, rontoon and Zeki like this.
  12. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Without dragging this too far off course, I give you:

pablorkcz and NunoBento like this.
  13. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Today may not be David's best song (I quite like it to be honest), but it looks like caviar next to The Yellow Dress

14. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Yes, it happened only a few times. Here is the full Copenhagen show in 2002. The high parts on Every Strangers Eyes was sung live, and that was not bad at all. No lipsyncing. At least I appreciate the effort. The part can be heard at around 1h36min15s

Nick Brook and Billy Infinity like this.
  15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

This place...

There is likely sufficient technology available where they could have Waters' vocals sounding perfectly in tune...immaculate...and the album sounding like The Black Eyed Peas as a result. Is this the world you really want ? People here bitch about Autotune being ubiquitous and modern pop/rock being soulless and conversely they bitch if somebody makes a record that exhibits some soul and hasn't had the warts and knots sanded off of it and burnished to a candy apple gloss under 40 coats of studio laquer. They bitch about live albums not being "live" enough and then they scream if they hear somebody miss a cue or hit a honker during an otherwise wonderful performance. So deep is their love of bitching that they'll expend the time and effort to find outside substantiation for their bitching and post it next to their own. And drone on and on and on about it.

Let's sum up :
    He's old now and his voice ( and he was never Freddie Mercury yet he seemed to do OK for himself ) has lost some of what range it may have had. We can either accept that and enjoy the work despite that or we can plunk ourselves down and put on some Rene Fleming and... Oh wait, how old is Rene Fleming now ? Wonder if she can still pull it off...? Time to crank up the Bitchinator again....

Jeez Louise.

D.D.

pablorkcz, gregorya, RockNRod and 8 others like this.
  16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Stirring up this kind of crap again?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Or we can call him out on it. Other performers, like Elton John, change the keys to songs they can no longer sing or sing in a lower register. Waters choses the more deceptive route for his smoke and mirrors shows and many people have an issue with it, and rightfully so. If you enjoy his shows then that's great but there's no reason to censor those opinions or bash the folks that voice them.

Pipi3 likes this.
  18. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Post after post...wow, a couple of you have some weird Roger Waters issues!
    Can we get please get back on thread subject..the latest album

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    RockNRod, Carlox and Wyoming like this.
  19. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I don't mind "Today" at all. Don't understand the hatred towards it. I think the worst Floyd-related project in history was the half-baked, dull "Endless River" album. But even that has some ok moments.

20. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

I think, regarding Roger's voice, that there's a bit more control, a lot more soul and a keener sense of melody on his last one than on ATD. I actually prefer the sound of his voice on ITTL than on ATD too, meaning that the reverbs/rooms/etc. on ATD made him sound like he was in a cupboard or something like that, a tad too artificial. He also sounds like he's about to choke on many occasions - I'm really puzzled when I read people complaining about his vocals now compared to ATD. To me, the major drop in his vocal capabilities occured at the end of the 80s but I digress - I'm saying this only to mark a contrast because ATD was, in scope, vision and focus, a much more enticing proposal than his latest.

Also, let's bear in mind that we've had 25 years to absorb and appreciate ATD. Hell, it stamped an absolute watermark on my teenage years! And now I'm really liking the new one too which is something very different, as was ATD from KAOS from When the Wind from Pros and Cons.

The Most Beautiful Girl is probably the lowest point of the album vocally, I'll give you that, especially the very end of the song but that's only one song - the rest is perfect as it is for me.

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I think his vocals on his new album are far better than on ATD. He sounded like he was sick (or had a cold) on some of the vocals on that album.

22. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Yeah, it always seemed nonsensically jarring to me - the obsessive craft behind the lyrics, composition, arrangements, sound effects and sound quality Vs. the lead vocals seemingly cut in one relatively bad evening. It's weird.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  23. Wyoming

hahah, man. Just awful.

24. Wyoming

bringing up the lip synch thing again?

Boring. It's been covered many times already. People don't really care except for a few grumpy old guys.

fRa likes this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

A 74 year old rocker can no longer sing as though he's in his 20's?!??!

Whatever next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.