New Roger Waters album "Is This The Life We Really Want?" - June 2, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

Politics are one of the best parts of this record ;P As for nowdays vinyls i always tought that both masters (CD and vinyl) are usually simmilar, and situationnlike with Waters album (Two so much different masters) are minority?

scotti and Paulo Alm like this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I agree on the politics being a good part of the album. I said that in generic terms as there are some fans that have a hard time with that part to get to the great instrumentation of the record. Could have worded that part differently I guess.

CDs and vinyl can be similar masters no doubt, but it is how the vinyl is pressed and such that can bring out a huge difference, especially when it comes to the sound being to compressed...

Hattipper likes this.
  3. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

I much prefer the overall sound on Roger's album, actually. Robert's might sound more 'sonically enhanced' but it's pretty 'muddy' too and lots of songs don't benefit from that, in my opinion. A bit of a sonic overkill at times. Still, a very solid release! The May Queen, Carry Fire and Heaven Sent are brilliant tracks, for example.

I've followed both Roger's and Robert's careers closely, and believe they've both been on a high artistically for a long time now. But, to me, Is This The Life We Really Want? is far more meaningful, and musically stronger too.

Pipi3 likes this.
  4. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

I don't believe it made the Rolling Stone top 50.

Magazine's are pretty obsolete in my world but.... really?

5. Pipi3

Pipi3 Forum Resident

Rolling Stone is a joke as a music magazine. They spent as much as time as providing a 2-3 paragraph album reviews (i.e., meaningless) as putting 4-5 pages of political thematic, and in between they never forget to supply ad infinitum their c$#@!& "ads". So ridiculous, I stopped supporting them.

cwd and Shaddam IV like this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Here's the kicker, they gave RW, 4 stars, but yet there are several albums that got 3.5 stars that are in their top 50, another example of what a lame magazine RS is! They are so worried about trying to stay relevant, the idiots over there most likely forgot it came out...

PDK and Oyster Boy like this.
  7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Loving the vinyl of ITTLWRW.

mando_dan and scotti like this.
  8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Rolling Stone has always been a joke re: their music reviews. If you want the latest, final evidence of this, read the new biography of Jann Wenner.

revolution_vanderbilt and Pipi3 like this.
  9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Smell The Roses rocks.

PteroDon, paradox55, ytserush and 6 others like this.
  10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Not for nothing as I finish the one of the many listens of ITTLWRW it is a truly an amazing feel album.

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I was once a subscriber to Rolling Stone. It wasn't the reviews that killed it for me, nor was it the politics. It was the FASHION. Clothes, hairstyles, cologne, goodness knows what... all that had absolutely nothing to do with music or anything more than a transient culture (clothes go in and out of fashion quickly). Some of their in-depth stories were well researched and written - but I just couldn't handle the fashion.

J_D__, Pipi3 and Shaddam IV like this.
  12. The more i listen to this album the more i love it. Its my second favorite album of the year!

13. Likewise; really hacks me off.

14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome! It came in #2 on my bakers dozen list of the year as well...

By the way, for those of you that have a TT and do not like the CD mastering of the new Plant album, the vinyl version sounds fantastic! They did a really nice job on that for what its worth.

15. Stephen Gleadall

Stephen Gleadall Forum Resident

Still loving it here too. My favorite track changes on almost every listen, sometimes it's TLR, sometimes B in a G, or BB, PT and so on an so on.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

17. Stephen Gleadall

A Happy New Year to you all.

18. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

Finally picked this up on vinyl, after having the CD since release. The difference is huge, the vinyl sounds very nice!

mando_dan, zinan and rontoon like this.
  19. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

20. Stephen Gleadall

I still haven't heard the vinyl although I do have a copy, as yet untouched, since I don't have a deck!!!

I had planned on investing in a decent turntable for Christmas. However, after giving much consideration to what would suit my needs best and given that I spend a lot of time out of the home through work, I decided to invest in a decent DAP and new set of quality cans to satisfy my audio needs while out and about. I eventually settled on the Astell & Kern KANN and FOCAL CLEAR headphones. This is my first foray into Hi-Res Hi-Fi gear and I've got to say I am totally blown away. ITTLWRW sounds absolutely magnificent. I had already grown to love and adore this album and now I can't get enough of it - again!!

The turntable is well and truly on the back-burner - until retirement, I think!

scotti, Billy_Sunday, PDK and 3 others like this.
  21. RockNRod

RockNRod Forum Resident

I'm gonna tack this on this thread for the Waters completists. The last track on Lucius new album called "Nudes" is Goodnight Irene (feat. Roger Waters). No smoke and mirrors on his vocals...

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks! Am listening now.

RockNRod likes this.
  23. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Stephen, like your feedback, but there are good affordable starter turntables you can get for around $400 - $700 that produce wonderful sound for the bang! I will tell you, that once you venture in to or back in to the glorious sound of vinyl, its an awesome experience, plus there are so many great titles coming out and being remastered all of the time. This RW album is a nice example of that. I will say the one problem with vinyl, is it can get very expensive pretty quick.

Happy listening to whatever your format choice is, its all about the music!!!!!

24. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Raving & Drooling

Maybe the most John Prine (with the usual dose of Dylan) version of Roger Waters I've ever heard.

25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.