New Rogue Audio preamplifier - RP1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KT88, Nov 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Yes, just edited my original post.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:righton:

3. Bananas&blow

Ain't that the truth. I kinda want to be done spending money on my system TBH. I got the preamp taken care of for $1300. I can live with that. This current set up is so far past what I've had before I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

Ham Sandwich and Dennis0675 like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

You’re going to be be so happy you might freak out.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  5. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

I think you will like it....I've been very impressed with the RP1's I've had in for demo units.

Bananas&blow and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. Bananas&blow

Alas my impatience got the better of me. Still, the RP-1 seems to be generally held in high regard sound quality wise.

7. coopmv

I like the tube preamp and SS amp combo since I had such setup for a few years and the sound was wonderful ...

Bananas&blow and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

Technically, the RP-1 preamp is a hybrid with most of the gain via solid state opamps followed by a tube output stage, but I do think they know what they are doing design-wise, and have managed to carve out a pretty respectable share of the market. Maybe not exactly the romantic sound that many tube lovers like (and I might lean a little toward that group), but you can't please everyone :)

9. coopmv

Looks like I misfired as I thought RP-1 was a tube preamp. I had great sonic experience pairing a tube preamp with a SS amp ...

10. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

Well, I think if it has tubes, then it probably is a tube preamp by modern parlance, didn't mean to imply it's not, just maybe not quite tubey enough to balance your audio equation :)

Some of the best modern tube preamps, like the top of the line Conrad Johnson models, have tube gain stages followed by a FET buffer for low output impedance to drive the longer preamp to amp and subwoofer interconnect cables we often use today. The RP-1 kind of has the opposite topology, but still has tubes.

11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

A hybrid pre-amp is a type of tube pre-amp.

I'm a big fan of hybrids for headphone amps. Headphone amps are just higher powered pre-amps. It follows that I'm a fan of hybrid pre-amps. Hybrids can still give you some of that holographic tube sound if it's designed to do that.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Bananas&blow

Did you ever make this change to the halo? If so what did you think?

13. Bananas&blow

Ever had any issues with buzzing coming from the Rp-1's? I've got an audible hum in my unit that I can hear from 6 feet away. Played around with different inputs and plugging combinations but nothing gets rid of the buzz. The buzz does not increase as I turn up the volume. The buzz got significantly worse when I removed my phono pre-amp and tried to use the onboard phono. The buzz does not change whether I use the CD player or the Turntable. Both the cd player and the TT can be powered off but the buzz will still be present. When in HT bypass mode and the RP-1 is powered off, the buzz goes away. It only comes up when the unit is powered on. It doesn't change, it always sounds the same, regardless of volume. I tried swapping in some shielded cables but it made no difference. I can't quite hear it when music is being played at listening levels, but during quiet passages I can barely hear it. For the money this unit costs, I am displeased. Supposed to do a trouble shooting call with Rogue on Friday. It is coming from the Rogue. Think I might have gotten a bad unit.

Any advice?

14. GoldprintAudio

Sorry....not had that issue in units I've dealt with. The hum is in the RP1 itself or it's coming from your speakers?

15. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Can you still hear it thru headphone jack?

16. Bananas&blow

Speakers.

17. Bananas&blow

Yes. Seems less loud but it's there.

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Is there any hum if all cabling (sources and HT Bypass) are disconnected? Could it be your TV cable box connected to your AVR which the RP1 could be picking up when connected using the HT Bypass? Tried a different outlet?

KT88 and GoldprintAudio like this.
  19. screener

screener Forum Resident

One of the 12AU7/ECC82 tubes could be bad. Have you looked at them?

Bill Mac and KT88 like this.
  20. GoldprintAudio

So I see you tried it with your connected equipment powered off, but do one thing more....... Unplug everything from the back of the RP1, but leave the RP1 connected to the amp. Turn it back on and see what you have at that point.

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. Bananas&blow

I have not but I will look tonight. Am I just looking for a burned out tube? Or what specifically should I look for?

22. Bananas&blow

Thank you for the suggestion but I ran the unit with just the TT connected for a while, then with the CD player for a few days before I finally connected the HT bypass. The buzz was identical in all 3 scenerios.

23. Bananas&blow

Thank you. I will try this. I think I already did this and the buzz was there but I'll double check it tonight.

24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'd say it's less of a look and more of swap. Order a replacement online, don't get crazy just buy what should work. Not to be a bummer but I would guess it's something in the board but anytime you have an issue with equipment that is running tubes, you have to troubleshoot the tubes first. They are tricky little SOB's.

I wouldn't go too crazy swapping out cords and connections. If your old receiver or AVR has pre outs, use that as a preamp and if there is no buzz, you should safely conclude the issue is internal to the Rouge.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. GoldprintAudio

This is not necessarily true...... it's very possible that what he is hearing is a ground loop hum, and the easiest way to single this out is to try the Rogue first with nothing connected. If the Rogue is silent, then we start backing up from there and adding other gear one at a time until the hum comes back. If it's not silent, then we can essentially say there may be an issue with the RP1. Just b/c the system hums with the Rogue in place and not with an AVR in place, does not always mean that there's an issue with the Rogue.

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.