New Ryan Adams, "Prisoner" due out February 17, 2017!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fletch, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Thanks. I posted a few posts back. I had emailed CS also. But what I got today was an email saying something along the lines of "updating" the End of the World Box (or the "excessive box" as I've previously called it in my guiltier post-ordering moments) with the download. Sounds like it must have been some sort of systemic problem now fixed (though some seemed to get the download). I'm not sure I've seen enough people order it to know if it was trend. Maybe with so few orders we will those "golden tickets' for those one of a kind singles ;-).

Erik B. likes this.
  2. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

I am blown away by this album. I love it. 3 times through the hi-rez download and it keeps getting better and better.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  3. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

The title track is beautiful. As I said before, VERY Smiths. So great, though.

IpseDixit likes this.
  4. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Having had all weekend to digest the album and have listened to it half a dozen times, I have to say that I think it is a good album, rather than a great album in the Ryan Adams catalogue.

As a bit of a RA fanboy I wanted to love the album more than anything he's done before (as I always do when he brings out a new album), but to my taste it's not quite up there. I find the second half of the album to be stronger than the first half.

Don't quite get The Smiths references some have made on this album, in comparison to 1989 which was full of them.

That being said, I'll be right in there for tickets for the Edinburgh show when they go on sale on Friday.

SamS likes this.
  5. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I finally got around to playing this Sunday morning and I thoroughly enjoyed the CD. I
    will grant you that it is not a great departure to what Adams has been putting out the
    last several years. Obviously, if you dig the last few releases you will have a good time
    with this one. As an aside, I bought `Heartbreaker' when it was reissued and I have to
    say I was initially disappointed. There must be two kinds of Ryan Adams fans....

ralphb likes this.
  6. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

I've tried so hard to enjoy this lp,as a fanboy for RA as well...My favorites from his catalog are Whiskeytown-Pneumonia,29,Love is Hell,JCN,Ashes and Fire and the overlooked Rock and Roll. I think my issues are the placeholder lyrics,the production and that guitar sound...Even the acoustic numbers just aren't up to par with the amazing songs he is capable of....

Yorick likes this.
  7. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

8. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Ah lame. My Amazon copy isn't on red vinyl. I didn't realize there were black copies going around...

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Agree. IMO this is not even close to the work he did with Whiskeytown and his early solo stuff. Really sounds like he is trying to make a move to the mainstream, whether he is or not. If that's true, I hope he sells millions. He's certainly deserving of that kind of recognition. Glad most are digging it.

gramfan, Yorick and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Never liked Heartbreaker, still don't, but I have about 10 of his other albums. I'm enjoying the new one, no great departure but still a very good Ryan Adams album.

Juggsnelson and JoeF. like this.
  11. ralphb

Don't think he needs the money, so if it's a mainstream move it's down to what he wants to do.
    Although the divorce probably cost him.

12. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think he already made his move to the mainstream with his cover album of Taylor Swift's 1989, an album I avoided listening to for the longest time. My loss because it's quite good and it appears to have re- energized him. I love the new album and I agree he deserves more recognition.

Juggsnelson and raphph like this.
  13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I don't fault him. He's in a weird position. A white , guitar-playing singer- songwriter who's not "bro-country" and isn't a household name or a legacy artist like a Tom Petty, Neil Young or Bruce Springsteen. There's not much of a niche for that these days, and I think his decision to cover 1989 --which some dismissed as a novelty or cynical move--will continue to pay dividends.

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I doubt that album was made with high hopes of going top 40. I think he was trying to be as eclectic as possible by picking as uncool as person as possible to cover.

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

While I'm sure he's not living a pauper's life, he's never had a Bryan Adams, Summer of 69 hit. "Do You Still Love Me" sounds to me exactly like somebody trying to do that. Again, more power to him if it happens.

16. ralphb

His "When The Stars Turn Blue" was covered by Tim McGraw on his Greatest Hits Vol. 2 which went double platinum. McGraw did a good job on it.
    I like this album a lot, the more I listen the better it gets for me. If it pushes him into a mainstream audience, I say good for him.
    We all hear stuff differently, that's what makes horse racing.:)
    Personally, I'm waiting for his prog album.

JoeF., SamS and gramfan like this.
  17. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Not a big fan of Heartbreaker either.. Although it's considered his finest...I like the dark, brooding sounds of 29 and Love is Hell...

Jeff Minn likes this.
  18. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Ryan is just following his muse, not trying to score a hit. He's definitely on a (very successful) PR blitz since the divorce, but I don't think it is with profit and only profit in mind. When TMZ leaked his divorce documents, I was actually shocked how wealthy he is. Guess being the sole songwriter on almost two decades of albums will do that. Not to mention his work as a producer. Very much looking forward to contributing to his paycheque when tickets for the Prisoner tour go on sale later this week.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  19. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Listened to this one 5-6 times through via Apple Music while awaiting my LP in a couple of days.

I have all his stuff, so obviously a fan :) This one is pretty good, but nothing that strikes me as "really incredible", just yet. Sometimes it takes me a few months, though.

I'm not embarrassed to admit that 1989 is probably in my Top 3 from him :)

20. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I've only played the new on once through so far, so too early to rank it (though it'll definitely the best since Ashes & Fire, to my ears anyway). But here's how I'd rank 'em as of today:

1. Gold
    2. Heartbreaker
    3. Cold Roses
    4. 29
    5. Love is Hell
    6. Jacksonville City Nights
    7. Demolition
    8. Cardinology
    9. Ashes & Fire
    10. Easy Tiger
    11. 1989
    12. III/IV
    13. Rock N Roll
    14. Ryan Adams

21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'll give you credit. There's no way I could have ranked them in order like that! The only one on the list I don't have is III/IV. But I wasn't taken with it when I listened on Spotify. Something is off. But all his albums have some good stuff.

22. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I've tried with the new one, but there are only one or two songs I would choose to listen to more than once. I felt the same about the ST album.

FWIW, my rankings

1. Gold
    2. Heartbreaker
    3. Cold Roses
    4. Easy Tiger
    5. Ashes and Fire
    7. 29
    8. Love is Hell
    9. Demolition
    10. Cardinology
    11. 1989
    12. Prisoner
    13. Ryan Adams
    14. Rock'n'Roll
    15. III/IV

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  23. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Here's my list:

1. Gold
    2. Heartbreaker
    3. Cold Roses
    4. Love is hell

.. The rest

autumn daze likes this.
  24. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Yeah, even as I look at my list now I think of songs I love on the lower ranking albums. In another week that may change drastically. Part of it is also timing. 29 being a great example. It's hard for me to go back to that one now, but when it first came out I was in a rough place and it hit me right there. It was a lifeline of sorts, hence the high ranking even if I don't pull it out as often as others.

25. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

My vinyl from Amazon arrived yesterday, even though I pre-ordered and it was supposed to arrive on Friday, and I'm happy to report that the vinyl is quiet, flat, and sounds very good. The vinyl was pressed by Pallas USA and Chris Bellman's initials are in the deadwax.

I have had a copy of this album for a while so the music was nothing new but I stand by the fact that this is grower of an album and although certainly not revolutionary is a solid album that I just want to keep listening to.

mikeyt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.