New Sam Cooke 2LP coming in June: Portrait of a Legend

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tubesandvinyl, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Universal is releasing this double LP in June.

I love Sam, and I'm really hoping this LP is a "fresh" remaster from a proper source, and not simply a press from the digital files used to make the 2003 CD.

2. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Oh hm man, so looking forward to this. Love Sam Cooke.

3. tubesandvinyl

This is great news, I hope...

"Pressed on 200-gram vinyl, the newly reissued ‘Portrait of a Legend’ offers a listening experience that the label promises will be “nothing less than extraordinarily authentic,” starting with freshly cut master lacquers and vinyl from two of the industry’s top mastering houses.

Read More: Sam Cooke's 'Portrait of a Legend: 1951–1964' to Be Released on Vinyl | http://theboombox.com/sam-cooke-portrait-of-a-legend-1951-1964-vinyl-release/?trackback=tsmclip"

I'm glad it's a fresh cut, and not something recycled from 2003. And if Kevin, Bernie or Doug did it, yippee!!!!!

4. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

still no mono compilation?

Batears52 likes this.
  5. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

6. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

7. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

I'm sure this set sounds great, but since it was cut from the DSD files created in 2003 and since I already own the SACD, I think I will pass.

8. Interesting. So this will be cut from sources different from the CD and SACD? The CD sounds excellent.

9. Sebastian

Sebastian Senior Member

It looks like this LP, the CD and the SACD were all mastered from the same digital file.

10. svoegtlin

svoegtlin Forum Resident

Wow, another Sam Cooke compilation.. Who'd have thunk it?

11. tubesandvinyl

I agree.

This is horrible news if it is the same recycled mastering approach as the RSD Sam Cooke LP.

With so many great sounding remastered LPs released recently, why is ABKCO taking the easy, cheap route? If this has the same digital sound as the RSD LP, I'll be really disappointed.

Maybe, just maybe, "freshly cut" means they are doing a 2014 job, and not rehashing the 2003 work? Vinyl cut from digital can sound excellent, depending on the guy and the machines. I'm not a big fan of Bob Ludwig's work over the last bunch of years, but Trutone cut those fantastic sounding Animals RSD 10" records.

12. Since I already own the 2003 SACD from which this is probably cut I'll pass. Why can't there be a good reissue of The Man And His Music with great sound, all the right mixes and better artwork? That tracklisting remains unbeatable.

BrettyD likes this.
  13. djej

djej Forum Resident

14. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Has anyone purchased this yet?

15. tubesandvinyl

I took one for the forum. I'll play it this weekend and post observations.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  16. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

Thanks,Looking forward to your opinion.

17. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Have a chance to give em' a spin yet? Music Direct has the set at reduced price right now, and add to that the Labor Day sale, and it seems like a pretty good deal (unless the sound sucks).

18. tubesandvinyl

I've only played about half of it. It's actually quite decent. Some songs splatter, but some sound quite nice. Seems it depends on the source quality to compile this set. It's a bit better than I expected, so I'm okay with it.

This is nowhere near as good as the 45RPM Night Beat. But it's a great collection of songs.

Sebastian likes this.
  19. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.