New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

Hahahaha :laugh: Spot on!

2. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Back then I though their stuff was ok, bu not good as the 80's, but now forward years later, Im thinking all that 90's stuff was not so bad after all. Charlies Bad shirts, Jims baldness and all.

I wont comment on their appearance now. Its politically incorrect to fat shame anyone....
    no matter how old they are.

:tsk:

3. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Damn, I'm only 3 yrs younger. :sigh:

4. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

At their last LA concert in 2013, Keith Forsey was in attendance. During "Don't You," Jim pointed to him and told the crowd, "He wrote the song!" After the song finished, they brought Keith up on stage to show him to the crowd and thank him.

JeffMo, Dave 81828384 and DTK like this.
  5. Radical347

Radical347 Well-Known Member

LOL, but I'd actually love a "1990s lost years" tour focusing on Good News (have they ever even played "Night Music" or "Criminal World" live?) and Neapolis, and throw in Real Life also.

mrbiggs and DTK like this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Was surprised and a bit disappointed that the upcoming tour will be the same band as the winter tour. But who knows, maybe Jim and Charlie can whip them into shape.

7. Dave 81828384

I'm really disappointed. Had I known, I wouldn't have bought tickets for the second show.

DTK likes this.
  8. Dave 81828384

I just booked my train tickets for Toronto. So a 200 km drive to Montreal on Friday (returning Saturday) and a 4 1/2 hr trip by train on Sunday to Toronto (returning Monday).

The things we do for music. :crazy:

:cheers:

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Hopefully the setlist varies from night to night (e.g. Rotating which WBW songs get played).

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  10. Dave 81828384

In 2013 they played Neon Lights in Montreal (I'm a big Kraftwerk fan) and Theme for Great Cities in Toronto (fantastic tune). There were 2 or so other differences too. So they do switch it up unlike some other bands. :)

JeffMo likes this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm hoping they play all of side two of WBW in Boston.

DTK likes this.
  12. Dave 81828384

I'm assuming you aren't hoping for the bonus tracks. I'd have to leave if they played Dirty Old Town. :laugh:

Radical347 likes this.
  13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

No I only consider this to be an 8 song album like the band did in the "complete" shows.!!

Which reminds me I need to pick this up on vinyl still. :)

Radical347 likes this.
  14. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

I like this remix of 'summer' by gary numan:

later

15. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Looks lacklustre, small boring drumset, keyboard player hidden way back :confused:

DTK likes this.
  16. Dave 81828384

I must say I'm a little confused about who is going to be touring North America? The 5 members in the video Stuart posted? So no Sarah Brown or Gordy Goudie? :confused:

DTK likes this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anyone know the setlist from last week’s show? I’m curious how many new songs are going to be in the setlist this summer and fall.

18. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Le What? I thought I saw Sarah and Gordy in the most recent live vids from Montenegro or am I off? To another point, sound is lacking the grandiose I was hoping for. Lineup was fine for accoustic but just sounding a bit minimalist for the upcoming tour.

19. Dave 81828384

I haven't seen those. I was just going by the German Television video Stuart posted.

20. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Looks like more US tour dates have been added, so I might end up seeing them after all.

It's been a long time, last saw them on the once upon a time tour, back in 85.

later

21. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

I'll probably go. I haven't seen them since the Good News... tour.

Hopefully they ditch playing the whole new album. They haven't toured America enough in the last 30 years to build the audience that would want to see that.

22. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

The new album is good, but not great. I actually want to hear it live.

I think it's been so long, it won't matter. Besides, they'll play their usual hits anyways.

later

23. Radical347

They already have ditched most of the new tracks on the first couple of dates on the current tour. The February tour was clearly advertised as a limited run where they would play their new album in its entirety...no reason to believe this will be the case in the US/Mexico (or even current European) tours.

24. That80sBaldAsianBadGuy

That80sBaldAsianBadGuy Forum Resident

But is it ok to say Kerr is looking like old William Shatner these days?

Tristero likes this.
  25. Radical347

I am trying to figure out what their US setlists will consist of (though of course it's all speculation.) We do know that they will play two sets and probably an encore, so 22-24 songs each show. They have also said they will play all the hits since it has been a long, long time since they have been to virtually all of these cities. (Either 5, 16, or 33 years).

According to Billboard, they've had 6 US hits: Don't You, Alive & Kicking, Sanctify, All the Things She Said, See the Lights, & She's a River. My guess is that all of those will go in, as well as Hypnotised since it was the follow up to She's a River and the last single that got decent exposure in the US...not to mention it's shown up on pretty much all the dates so far. So that's 7.

Then there are the songs that were big on Alternative radio in the early 80s (i.e. 91X, KROQ, WLIR) that everyone loves them for, before they got mainstream exposure in the states. These are among their most played tour songs on Setlist.fm so they will most likely play them too: Waterfront, Someone Somewhere in Summertime, New Gold Dream, Promised You a Miracle, Glittering Prize, and probably Love Song and The American (I'd think they have to play The American at all their US shows.) That's another 7.

Their cover of Let the Day Begin, has shown up in all their sets so far so much to my chagrin, it is probably is not going away either. So that's 15 songs that I think will get played at every show, leaving room for another ~8 songs that they'll change up. That has to include a couple songs from WBW, though not all 8. Maybe 3 that they'll change up in between shows. The remaining tracks will probably have some sort of rotation. I'd expect that to include at some point all the other songs we've seen so far on the European tour (Big Music, Dolphins, Mandela Day, Once Upon a Time, Stand By Love, Let There Be Love, I Travel) as well as some others such as Up on the Catwalk, Theme for Great Cities, Home, Celebrate, Ghostdancing, etc. I don't expect anything way too far out of left field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.