New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I totally get it. I'm traditional and don't like a lot of change. This is the most dramatic change I've seen apart from the splintering in the 90's and given how they navigated the waters so brilliantly with the 5x5 tour and Big Music, I thought they'd expand on that. The acoustic thing was odd, I just watched the full concert last night and it actually is quite good if you force yourself to forget their roots. The songs are great and sound good with the arrangements and Gordy is one helluva musician who has really helped this band out for a long time. It's just odd seeing things as they are, I liked them when they were German or that college band I saw blow the roof off the Warfield in SFO back in 84. Things change, the onerous is on me to accept it.

DTK and Dave 81828384 like this.
  2. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I really like the Acoustic album, and I have the DVD of the live show, too. It's a bit hard to watch, though - Jim is sweating so much, his shirt is soaked about midway through the set. One would think he would run and change before the encore, but, ah, no.

Havoc and godslonelyman like this.
  3. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Thanks. Yes it's a better track.

4. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Great! That will be third issue in a row with one of my favorites featured on cover (a-ha and TFF). I will look for that in about 4 weeks since there is a lag on this side of the pond.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Neonbeam likes this.
  7. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Yeah, same here. I still haven't received the last issue (with the "British Invasion" cover). I've sometimes received them 2 weeks after publication in the UK. I may have to call the US distributor. My mail carriers (we never have a permanent one) are often screwing up, and I have lost an issue in the past.

JeffMo likes this.
  8. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Joining the party late, I've just listened to the two singles on Spotify and over there they sound saddening compressed.

Am I the only one to hear some Peter Gabriel in The Signal and The Noise?

9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think it sounds like early Simple Minds, but Gabriel isn't a reference point for me.

10. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Anyone heard this? Pretty amazing track.

So, of the three, I like two very very much and one quite a lot now.

4/5 star review from Daily Mail

Walk Between Worlds review: Simple Minds don't mess about | Daily Mail Online

I pre-ordered the Super Happy Terrific Fun Fan Pack version of the album, colored, signed and kissed by the band. I splurged and I don't feel bad about it one bit.

I still prefer the 5 lads who brawled alongside each other in Torryglen as youths then formed a band dynamic, that said they've really found something here. Can't wait.

DTK and Audioresearch like this.
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

3/5 in MOJO

12. I'm in if it's not brickwalled.

13. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Oh...........what do they know? I haven't heard it yet but I just know they're being stingy. :winkgrin:

DTK likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

Well... they actually explained quite well what the problem with this album was. Up to now their Simple Minds reviews seemed pretty spot on.

15. Neonbeam

Which set did you get, the one with three (!) vinyl editions and lots of extras? No idea what happens after postage but £75 seems ok.

16. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I was being just a bit silly, there's a reason they're a very popular journal among SHF participants. I get the mag each month. It's all so subjective and there's always the possibility that Simple Minds just won't get a great review from people. They hurt themselves with the bombast and the perceived selling out and it takes a long time to get out from under the stigma. That said, I'd definitely consider Mojo's review as part of the consensus.

17. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

I got the 75 quid version that has a lock of Charlie's hair with it. :agree:

DTK and Neonbeam like this.
  18. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Is this supposed to sound like a remake of "Alive and Kicking"? I'm hoping it was intentional...

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  19. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

DTK likes this.
  20. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

I like This Track. It feels like Once Upon A Time

DTK likes this.
  21. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

Funny, their title tracks are usually centrepieces. Not this one though. It feels disjointed and forced.

22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It intentionally borrows from the pre-chorus of Alive and Kicking, otherwise there's not that much similarity.

JeffMo likes this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Anyone else revisiting back catalog this weekend?

I’m currently blasting Big Music Tour 2015!

DTK likes this.
  24. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

That's it, you're a disgrace to the force.........turn in your badge!

On the other hand, your opinions are worthwhile and I'll take them into consideration. I like it, love the guitar riff that stops sort of awkwardly when you think it would reverb for a bit. It took 3 listens, I know they're all synth heavy but I just pick up more moods and colors each time.

25. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I've still only heard Magic. Figured I would just wait until Friday so I can listen to it all at one. :)

DTK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.