New Simple Minds album, "Walk Between Worlds", set for release 02/02/2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Nov 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

You're right about the colours. The reinvention of the last 10-15 years has paid off big time. Jim Kerrs voice may be somewhat shot by now, but the textures -colours-, the shimmering guitars, the multilayered keys and strong back vox, more than compensate. The passion, the excitement, feels rekindled in earnest.

JeffMo, DTK and Havoc like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I did..! I bought me a copy of the Kaleidoscope/Film Theme Dub limited edition flexi disc that came with the I Travel 45 in 1980 :).
    The Film Theme Dub is semi-easily available now, but it's nice to have a copy.

Neonbeam and JeffMo like this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think this is shaping up to be a strong album...less sprawling than Big Music which was really good but sounded like a singles compilation.

4. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I just went for the casebound CD edition. I have it on order from Amazon and we have Prime, so I expect to receive it on Friday (street date). I busted out my See The Lights DVD in anticipation about a week ago, and I plan on listening to some of their other albums this week; probably Big Music Tour 2015 to start since I think I've only played it once since release.

JeffMo and DTK like this.
  5. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

Finally got the last issue last week. Hopefully the new issue with Jim on the cover will arrive in a more timely fashion.

6. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Simple Minds - Walk Between Worlds
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR5 over -7.18 dB 01 - Magic.mp3
    DR5 over -6.50 dB 02 - Summer.mp3
    DR6 over -7.89 dB 03 - Utopia.mp3
    DR6 over -7.37 dB 04 - The Signal and The Noise.mp3
    DR6 over -7.56 dB 05 - In Dreams.mp3

DR7 over -8.08 dB 06 - Barrowland Star.mp3
    DR6 over -7.54 dB 07 - Walk Between Worlds.mp3
    DR6 over -8.19 dB 08 - Sense Of Discovery.mp3
    DR6 over -7.37 dB 09 - Silent Kiss (Bonus Track).mp3
    DR6 over -6.65 dB 10 - Angel Underneath My Skin (Bonus Track).mp3

DR7 over -8.58 dB 11 - Dirty Old Town (Live Bonus Track).mp3

Number of files: 11
    Official DR value: DR6

7. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

yay

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Oh yeah, let's judge the music by its DR value. Always a good idea.

9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't even know (or care) what those numbers mean...

Neonbeam and DTK like this.
  10. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I know but I don't care really. As long as it isn't completely squashed (like Metallica albums) I enjoy a bit of loudness and punch in rock albums.

11. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Higher values usually result in a nicer listening experience but it's subjective of course. Big Music had similar numbers and it did tire the ol' ears out after a while. It refers to the difference in levels between the highest or loudest tracks and lowest or subtle tracks mixed into the songs. Lately, most albums have a lower DR meaning that everything in the song is mixed in at a high level. Listen to Big Music then maybe an original cd or vinyl copy of an 80's album where you hear the space between the different instruments in a song. I didn't know what it was either, I bought remasters reflexively thinking that louder meant more fidelity but once I learned the concept, it turned out that I preferred listening to albums with a higher overall DR. It shouldn't be a way to judge the quality of the songs though but it's interesting that SM seem to be a serial violator of brick wall mastering on their newer albums. Did I explain this right? I'm totally welcoming feedback on this.

12. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

You nailed it, but beware of Vinyl DR values, they are not as revealing or accurate as CD/Digital DR values.

Comparing Street Fighting Years to Big Loud Brickwalled Music will tell it all.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Hmm, makes me want to consider the vinyl version of this album. Maybe down the line if I like it enough and pressing/SQ reviews on here are positive.

14. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Streaming this now. I enjoyed Magic more without the video. So far sounds pretty good songwise. Anyone got a physical copy, are there any musician credits?

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Early report. Got the album, enjoying it very much so far. I think Magic might be the weakest song on there!
    Very dreamy feel to many tracks.
    Jim and Charlie might never come up with another Sons and Fascination or NGD again; they are not the same and it's not the same musicians involved but heck they are punching above their weight more for every album. Respect.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Havoc, Dave 81828384 and JeffMo like this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's instructive to compare Barrowland Star to this b-side from 1995 (She's A River single).

17. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Mel is credited for drums on the album. I convinced the very nice bloke at my new local record store at the glorious mall (who knew the Poles liked shopping malls like us yanks?) to open a copy and Mel's credited on the album under "Drums" and Charisse is credited for additional drums. I hear electronic percussion in her but I also hear Mel which is a nice thing. I'm still not figuring out why the drastic lineup change. I love the finished product, Charlie and Owen lay down some mean keyboards and the programming is great. I just really liked that band that took SM music around the world from 2012 on.

Really like the album, the album version of Magic is much better than the video edit. Not a bad song on here for me. Better than Big Music, I saw it written their "best since New Gold Dream" and I'm having a difficult time arguing with that but it will take me some time to really land on a comparison. It's the best album this year and that's saying a lot since Shame's new one has been on heavy rotation for a while now. I know it's off topic but you guys might want to check that one out.

I'd give WBW 4.5/5 A bit heavy on the production but it's necessary given Jim's limitations now.

Standout tracks for me- Summer, Signal and the Noise, Utopia, Sense of Discovery

DTK likes this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Maybe they just felt they were stagnating and needed fresh blood. It happens... Odd that Andy Gillespie is not on it at all; seems like they might have had a less than amicable parting of ways. It's easy to jump to conclusions though.

19. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I wish I never heard Dirty Old Town - way to ruin the album :sigh:

sunking101 and Neonbeam like this.
  20. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

DR6 is pretty squashed, and it's in the Metallica territory.

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  21. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I actually like the album but couldn't help but think some songs would be a lot better with a more open sound stage.

I meant to quote Mr Vinyl but something screwed up :laugh:

sunking101 and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  22. 007james

007james Forum Resident

my amazon order was delayed with an est. delivery date of 2/14-2/22 , wow amazon has really been slacking off lately. I was really looking forward to hearing this this evening.....Such much for Prime Membership .......

23. brock

brock Forum Resident

First pass: a could-have-been-great album. Good songs, textures, energy...but an exhausting listen. Not much space in there at all IMO. It doesn’t make me want to dive right back in. A little disappointed. But again, first pass. All rights reserved. :)

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well Death Magnetic cd is a DR 3. I am very aware of the debate, but it doesn't bother me with this album, it sounds good anyway.

25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's ok but completely out of place. Maybe it' just there to honour the IS bomb victims in Manchester.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.