New SLOAN album "Commonwealth" due Sept 9!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by intv7, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Agreed. Chris was especially brilliant on Never Hear The End Of It. Jay's 'Beverly Terrace' and 'The Answer Is You' were sublime on The Double Cross.

Rocketdog, Pawnmower and intv7 like this.
  2. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

New track, "Cleopatra", announced and linked by the AV Club this morning. It's a nice Jay track:

3. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Also, Navy Blues is available.

ibanez_ax likes this.
  4. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Was fortunate enough to get my hands on a Promo copy of Commonwealth today (will also be purchasing the vinyl) and Im absolutely loving Chris Murphy's side, especially the track "Carried Away", overall the album is sounding amazing though. Really pleased.

factory44 likes this.
  5. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

The album is streaming at Pitchfork Advance up until the 9th at

http://pitchfork.com/advance/528-commonwealth/

I really like it--there's good stuff on all four sides. I think Jay's side is especially strong, but I think my biases are showing on that one--I've liked Jay's material the best on the past handful of albums. Andrew's side is a little surprising, but very cool to hear, and its presence distinguishes the album in the Sloan catalog. The track that makes up the entire side, "Forty-Eight Portraits", is the most uncharacteristic Sloan track at least since the Rhodes Jam back in the '90s.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  6. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Have listened to it a few times. It's a really great album, though I think I prefer when they melt their songs (NHTEOI works better IMHO). The last track requests many listens to get in, but it's really great !

7. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

Album is out today, so I thought I'd bump the thread up from page 34.

I don't like to listen to pre-release streams, so I'm hearing the album for the first time today. I have no initial thoughts beyond I like how Jay channeled some Wings "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five" harmonies on the track "Three Sisters".

I look forward to spinning this a few times and reporting back.

factory44 and intv7 like this.
  8. sans_matty

sans_matty Forum Resident

I totally agree. The songs are solid, but as a whole record, it feels a little disjointed.

9. sans_matty

Anyone received their preorders yet?

10. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Not yet here in Canada. I have been barely holding off of listening to a stream of it. Hope it arrives this week to give me the weekend with it before I receive the Beatles remasters. New Sloan albums have been a big deal for me since One Chord came out, so I'm pretty excited for it!

therebelsell likes this.
  11. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

I was with Andrew's song up and until the kiddie choir showed up.

Pawnmower and 8tracks like this.
  12. sans_matty

I just got an email from YepRoc. They just got the LP's in today, manufacturer was late, blah blah. Soon!

Revolver likes this.
  13. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Did you receive an unsolicited email from YepRoc, or were they replying to a question from you? I'm on the YepRoc mailing list and I pre-ordered the LP (along with the playing cards and print) and I didn't receive any notice from the label that there was a delay. I wrote them this afternoon, and they replied that the vinyl just arrived at their warehouse.

I've gotta say that I am extremely disappointed with how YepRoc handled this. They should have let all of us who pre-ordered know that our packages weren't going to arrive on the street date due to a manufacturing delay. Their lack of communication makes me feel that they do not value their customers.

Revolver likes this.
  14. sans_matty

No, I emailed to ask about arrival date and they gave me the same answer they gave you. I just assumed if you are pre-ordering something, you should get it on the release date.

15. intv7

intv7 Senior Member Thread Starter

Finally got the chance to listen to the album from start to finish, and after one listen I am convinced that it's a near masterpiece.

The only disappointment here comes from Patrick, who's side of music left me somewhat (pun intended) underwhelmed. Upon hearing "Keep Swinging" a while back, I was not too impressed and was hopeful that he'd have better material on the album. Unfortunately I think it's probably the best tune he offers up out of what seems like a very slight 12 minutes-or-so of music. The first two of his songs are very similar to each other, and neither is all too interesting, I'm sorry to say. "Keep Swinging" has grown on me a bit, but it does seem a bit paint-by-numbers, and isn't the slam dunk that a lot of his earlier arena rock songs were.

Jay's and Chris' sides are absolutely AMAZING. This is some of Jay's best stuff to date -- very smart songwriting that's rich in melody. I really dig the call back to "You've Got a Lot On Your Mind" in "Cleopatra". He does not have a bad track on this. Chris continues to shine with some very Beatlesque twists and turns in his songs. "Carried Away", in particular, is excellent. "You Don't Need Excuses To Be Good" flat out rocks. The first half of the album is flawless and stands up really well against the band's best material.

Andrew's track is a lot to absorb, and maybe a little too ambitious...but there are a lot of neat things in it. Part of the track reprises "Delivering Maybes" from Between The Bridges, which is a cool surprise. The fragments of songs might have worked better as separate tracks -- but I think as it is, he did succeed in turning his side of music into a single work of art. Some of the pieces are among the album's highest highs. Overall, it's really, really good.

The division of the songs by member gives the album a very different feel than if they'd sequenced them differently. I think it gives the album its own identity, whereas a balanced mix throughout would have made it something different. I think it was a good call.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

HMV Downtown Tor has the new LP in stock, $26.99 includes the CD and digital download card.

17. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Still waiting on this. I've never had to wait to hear a Sloan album since One Chord. Thanks Yep Roc. :waiting:

18. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Heard a bit of it this weekend. Not bad but typical Sloan. Side 3 was the better side to me. Never heard the fourth.

19. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

i like it very much. but sloan is a favorite of mine. a great album who needs many listenings

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Fantastic power pop lite record :righton::righton:

21. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Yes too bad this band hasn't got the fame they deserve in Europe... They never tour here. It's an excellent album indeed ! another one in their long and faultless history :righton:

22. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

HMV Montreal has the vinyl in, and what a beautiful thick stock package it is. Even comes with a free download and free CD inside the sleeve. Thinking of picking this up. Anyone actually listen to the vinyl?

23. sans_matty

Yep. All the Sloan records have been quality IMO. This one is no different. And your right, the packaging is really nice.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I've been getting by with subscription streaming until the vinyl arrives at my local record store (hopefully today). Andrew's "48 Portraits" suite on Side 4 is the first thing I will listen to from it on my turntable. I would recommend giving it a chance. It is pretty incredible.

intv7, sans_matty and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  25. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Going to head down to my local HMV and pick up the vinyl copy. I've really missed the boat on getting Sloan on vinyl, so can't let this chance pass me by. I really regret not going in for the Twice Removed deluxe set that came out, I love that album.

I just hope the pressing quality of the vinyl is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.