New Steven Wilson album in the making: "Hand. Cannot. Erase." 3/2/15

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinktree1

pinktree1 Forum Resident

2. pinktree1

pinktree1 Forum Resident

3. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Did anyone who bought the digi book CD with DVD version have problem with the DVD? I did.

When I play the DVD stereo version the 9th song "Ancestral" skips all the way through. Only that song but quite a bit. The problem is it was a limited edition and now Amazon shows it as not available so I can't get a replacement from them. I like the digibook versions I have a number of the Porcupine Tree titles in that format so it was nice to have this one too. I could just buy the Blu-ray but that packaging is pretty boring.

they seem to now be selling for big $
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QW4QX7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Another person had the same problem on the QQ forum. It was found to be player-dependent.
    Burning Shed is aware of the problem. It should work if you read in another player.

5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

While some people may be starting to get turned off from HCE this might now be my favorite SW solo album.

I still love that vintage prog sound that Alan Parsons was able to get on Raven. The more modern sound of HCE suits it well.

duneman, jkoponen and Mij Retrac like this.
  6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah I'm not sick of HCE at all. I actually have tried NOT to listen to it much so I don't overdo it!

Quincy, jkoponen and Mij Retrac like this.
  7. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Thanks. Good to know. I have been thinking about upgrading my player anyway so I won't worry too much.

Plan9 likes this.
  8. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

The song 'Home Invasion - Regret #9' is BA! Especially the 2nd half of it. Great solos.

LivingForever and gkella like this.
  9. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

I have to admit this is really starting to grow on me now. Still prefer Porcupine Tree, especially Gavins drumming but it is pretty darn good. 100 times better than most everything else out there.

10. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Being a new comer to Steven's music, I am completely blown away by this album.
    Have played it through probably six times since I picked it up last week.
    My Raven Blu Ray was waiting in the mailbox when I got home tonight.
    Had a chance to listen to the first two cuts and really excited by this one as well.
    Glen

duneman, chrischerm and jkoponen like this.
  11. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

After checking out a few songs online I went for the blu-ray. Already on my second time through and enjoying it immensely. The "versions" of the songs are great too. Well worth a few bucks to get the blu-ray, which includes Flac and MP3 downloads, in addition to the instrumentals and alternate/radio version.

jkoponen likes this.
  12. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I purchased the deluxe book version. The surround mix on the bluray is amazing, great album!

jkoponen and Mij Retrac like this.
  13. pinktree1

pinktree1 Forum Resident

https://www.facebook.com/marco.minnemann.77

Tonight's concert in London had a few surprises. First of all it was the only show on this leg on which Theo Travis joined us on stage again, and as always he played amazing. And Bono and also David Gilmour (who's a very lovely guy, so cool to meet him) came to the show, so yeah, no pressure :)). Thanks again for the great reactions.

14. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

I would not have thought Bono was familiar with SW, but that is cool to me that he went to the show (...big U2 fan here...). I wonder if after hearing the song "Hand.Cannot.Erase" Bono thought to himself that it sounds like his U2 song "Beautiful Day" in places (...to me these songs have some strong similarities...).

driverdrummer likes this.
  15. Warleggan

Warleggan Forum Resident

Interesting...as Bono, The Edge and Larry Mullen Jr were clearly pictured, in the crowd last night, watching the Monaco Vs Arsenal Champions League Football Match, in the South of France. For all of his greatness, I find it hard to believe Bono would be able to attend both?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...senal-s-clash-Monaco-Saint-Patrick-s-Day.html

Back on topic...I saw Steven Wilson in Cardiff, last Friday, a truly mind blowing performance, catch him when you can!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  16. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

It wasn't Bono. It was Phil Manzanera who accompanied David Gilmour to the SW gig.
    I can't imagine how anyone could mistake Manzanera for Bono, but there you go...

BTW I had a good chat with Manzanera at the Bowie gig at Wembley back in 2003. Lovely chap, really friendly and happy to talk.

17. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

I think this entire post has been removed from his timeline, so as not to embarasse himself about the him mistaking Manzanera for Bono.

18. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

That song reminds me an awful lot more of the Manic Street Preachers.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Definitely into this album now. It took longer than Raven, but I think I like it at least as much now.

Need to work my way backwards through his catalog now. Raven was my into to SW (after getting many of his remixing projects).

sassi, jkoponen, Meurgley and 2 others like this.
  20. pinktree1

pinktree1 Forum Resident

https://www.facebook.com/marco.minnemann.77

Marco Minnemann
    8 Std. ·
    Thank you England for being such an amazing audience. Next stop will be Germany.
    Oh, and btw, we've noticed there was an ongoing discussion about our 'special London audience guests'. Maybe I can be helpful.
    So, YES, David Gilmour was there, I personally got him in and he's a lovely man (and may I add that this was pretty much almost a religious experience, always loved his work).
    About the Bono sightings, I haven't seen him, but apparently he bought 4 tickets and then was s...een by some people at the show, but then also somewhere at a soccer match in Monaco „smile“-Emoticon.

21. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

I was really surprised when I discovered that there wasn't the option to download 24/96 files. Could this be a mistake similar to the recent Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti download which had to be corrected (where new codes were issued to buyers)? I can rip the Blu-Ray but for ease, it would have been nice to have the download files available in the best possible quality.

Starwanderer likes this.
  22. marke

marke Forum Resident

It was a real song and dance for me to get this album in Australia. I kept looking for it in JB Hi Fi, Rocking Horse etc. but there were none to be found. I'd never had trouble getting Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson albums in the past as they came out on the release date. This time I ended up ordering it through JB HiFi on a Saturday. They rang me on Wednesday to say it had come in and said I basically had until the end of the week to pick it up, otherwise I'd lose it as they only had limited copies in Brisbane. Needless to say I went straight in there after work to grab it. This album is scarcer than the dodo in the land of Oz.
    Anyway I already love it and look forward to weeks of listening pleasure. 8 out of 10.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Not a mistake, all the other downloads have been lossy.

Zephead2112 likes this.
  24. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I know exactly where this Bono confusion came from - several times during the night I saw a man hanging around who SOOOO wished he was Bono it wasn't even funny - he'd obviously been told at some point he looked a bit like him, so he'd gone all out to try to fool people, doing his hair in a ridiculous style that I'm not even convinced Bono ever wore, and wearing a pair of Bono-alike shades.

Add in the leather trousers and garish jacket, he looked every inch the rock star, and a number of people were fooled. The fact that he was just wandering around with his mate (who looked like a pretty average guy), and not backstage or with any kind of VIP pass, should have been a giveaway, but it was only when I was filing out of the venue (ok, being chucked out for dawdling) that I heard him and his mate chatting away in fluent Italian.

Pretty sure it wasn't him.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    Plan9 likes this.
  25. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Finally picked this up on vinyl and I'm pleased to report the sound is excellent and no pressing defects / issues / etc ...

24voltsdc and Mij Retrac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.