New Steven Wilson album in the making: "Hand. Cannot. Erase." 3/2/15

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

2. marke

marke Forum Resident

Another thing I note is that Steven Wilson has been involved in 25+ albums if you include Porcupine Tree, Bass Communion, No-Man, Blackfield and his solo work and it's still of a very high quality. How many acts can you say that about after 24 years of recording activity?

abor1g, Starwanderer and jkoponen like this.
  3. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

4. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

Agreed! I just get surprised time and time again while discovering his music.

24voltsdc likes this.
  5. marke

marke Forum Resident

He's also been a great ambassador in terms of turning me onto different artists. I never would have gotten into Opeth, Katatonia, Anathema or Riverside if not for him.

duneman, abor1g, progrocker71 and 2 others like this.
  6. jkoponen

jkoponen Active Member

Same here. I'm practically buying half of the Kscope catalog because of him. :winkgrin:

marke likes this.
  7. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

I counted 41 titles on the Kscope insert.

I ought to buy shares in the company:)

jkoponen likes this.
  8. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

danielbravo, Fredsy, jkoponen and 2 others like this.
  9. 24voltsdc

24voltsdc Forum Resident

Great site man! Can't wait to read more of your reviews. Keep up the good work. :edthumbs:

Mij Retrac likes this.
  10. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

Thanks!,

11. Meurgley

Meurgley Forum Resident

I became a fan in 2008 and immediatley bougth everything that was for sale on K-scope. At the time I chastised myself for not having discoverd this man before, but these days I'm almost a veteran! I warms my heart to read about how people are discovering him now and feel the need to check out his back catalogue. I know that many of them will have their minds blown, just like mine was blown.

abor1g, ShawnX and jkoponen like this.
  12. Meurgley

Meurgley Forum Resident

I have seen a lot of comments from fans in North America about being disappointed Marco and Guthrie won't be in the band there. I wish they wouldn't be disappointed because this show is not about band members dazzling audience with otherworldly chops. That was the Raven tour. This time, the star of the show is SW himself, and the music of HCE.

I struck me during the two shows I saw last week that both Marco and GG were mostly just providing rhythm, with Marco unable to deviate too much from the record and GG playing rhythm. So if you are in NA and feel cheated in some way, keep in mind that Marco and GG wouldn't have provided what you were expecting. If I were an American fan, going to the gigs, I would look forward to these concerts BECAUSE it's a new band.

Plan9, jkoponen and richard a like this.
  13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Steven Wilson is finally clicking with me. I am a big fan of a lot of classic prog... just not so much the 'new-metal prog'.... but starting with The Raven and now this album his music is growing rapidly on me.

I was a fool not to buy tickets... local June show is sold out. Such is life.

14. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Good to know and not disappointed at all. Im sure the adds will do the playing justice. Just as long as SW shows up, I'll be fine. :)

15. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Got tickets yesterday for "SW plus special guests" at the Albert Hall in September...

Should be a great night. I'm a bit annoyed at the whole "different setlists on the two nights" thing, though- inevitably something I really wanted to see will happen on the night we're not going.

I would have bought tickets for both nights, but the best seats this time were £60 plus booking fees, quite a bit more than the last time he played there, so I feel ok about not playing his "come twice" game. :)

16. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Which night did you get? Someone on facebook mentioned there will be a different band both nights because Marco and Guthrie aren't available both nights. Maybe Gavin Harrison will step in one night?

I have tickets for a show in North America, so in purely selfish terms I hope the first night at RAH has Marco and Guthrie. Music wise, I kinda don't care what he plays, it's bound to be good.

LivingForever likes this.
  17. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Definitely. I started with Porcupine Tree and then that led me to Opeth, who eventually I realized I liked even more. :D Those two bands really rekindled my interest in modern progressive rock.

Also a big fan of Riverside, Big Big Train, Haken, Beardfish and many others.

chef0069 likes this.
  18. Seagull

I got tickets for the Monday night at the RAH.

I went to see Dave Gilmour there on the On an Island tour. The night I went the guests included Robert Wyatt and David Bowie.

19. LivingForever

I also went for Monday. Gilmour guest slot, anyone?

rburly likes this.
  20. Seagull

Fripp would be my ideal guest. There is a lot of KC influence in Steven Wilson's work over the last few years.
    Tony Levin on stick?
    Ian Anderson on flute

How about Chris Maitland, Richard Barbieri and Colin Edwin?

rburly and Plan9 like this.
  21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Very unlikely I think: Gilmour is not a known "mate" of SW and he's by a long way the bigger star. At this point, Theo would count as a guest spot, as would be the two female vocalists from the album, because none of those three is touring the album. In terms of star names it's difficult to think of someone who would add to the on-stage band yet provide headline news. Dave Gregory is more the type of star who might be likely to take a guest spot.

Also, I don't see what would be added by getting the Porcupine Tree personnel back; doesn't that just confuse the brands?

22. LivingForever

I agree that Gilmour is far bigger and perhaps unlikely, but he is playing the same venue either side of SW's two gigs AND he was apparently at the SW Troxy gig a couple of weeks ago, so it's not as far fetched as you might think...

23. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

working with Fripp, anderson has certainly raised Sw at a higher level and we can be pretty sure that Gilmour knows SW discography and heavy influences of Pf on early works of SW

24. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

If Minneman and Govan aren't available for those shows @ RAH, like they aren't for the US tour, I am pretty sure this will mean the RAH shows will be done with David Kilminster and Craig Blundell, the two musicians who will also be on the US tour.

When it comes to guests for the RAH shows I think both Theo Travis and Ninet are a given. Don't know why Katherine Jenkins would be there because the only spot she has is the spoken word on Perfect Life. Seems much more likely the boy soprano and the boy's chorus would be there.

25. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I believe that he has mixed Roxy Musics first two albums and Manzanera is a neighbour of DG's so anything is possible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.